PDA

View Full Version : EtCR Test Group (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Zaydos
2016-09-09, 09:23 PM
Time: Morning. Day: -

Location: Common Room of the Drunken Gargoyle Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBATrLRWySg)

The Drunken Gargoyle has yet to truly wake this morning. A local tavern which doubles on occasion as a traveler's inn, the Drunken Gargoyle is the only, somewhat overpriced, inn within the gnomish township of Hamsil. The food is good, and even if the rooms are low rate it's the only place in town where they've built ones to human scale.

The common room less so. There are two tables for human-sized patrons, reserved and little used, after all few travelers come to the township of Hamsil. Usually one would be in a back room collecting dust and cobwebs, but unusually it is not. In fact one table is occupied by a group of what appears to be merchants, a pair of fat men in silks, a pair of harder, more muscular men in breastplates, and a fifth member, a woman to their group, dressed in much more travel-worn clothes than the two men. Her eyes are cold as they regard the inn, not the eyes of a merchant but of a bodyguard.

Besides these surprise visitors there is little of note in the Drunken Gargoyle on this morning. A series of mirrors brings reflected sunlight down into the cave to supplement its candle light, and two servers are loafing about the common room. The merchants and their guards seem to have already been fed, and as dawn was only recent few others are in the tavern. Behind the counter the proprietor's son, a young whelp of a lad at 36, stands ready to take orders as need be.

Tes sent his message to come quickly only a few days ago, but the seer is impatient at the best of times, and when he's raving that the apocalypse may come if his words aren't heeded. If you stay for breakfast he'll probably be more than a little annoyed with you. At the same time Still it's the seer's own fault that he lives half a day's march from the nearest town.

Dondasch
2016-09-09, 11:14 PM
Tsutsui scans the room as he enters, though he's not expecting any particular danger. Curious to see fellow humans in Hamsil. Ah well, they seem to be merchants, so they're probably just gleaning what profits they can here while they head somewhere else.' Having settled on a explanation for the curiosity, he orders a sparse breakfast and sits down to eat.

bcool999
2016-09-10, 12:41 AM
Zack

"*YAAAaawwwnn* Morn'n" Zack mumbles as he shuffles into the dining room. The slight bit of dragon heritage he lays claim to keeps him from being much of a 'morning person' as his disheveled appearance makes obvious. His heavy-lidded eyes never seem to open as he waves to Tsu-tsu and beckons the proprietor's boy to bring something warm to eat as he plops himself at a table and seemingly lays his head down on it to sleep.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-10, 05:15 AM
Gliding down on gentle footfalls, Kiriih sits before his morning meal and smiles as best his race can. "Morning. Any idea at what bell he expects us?"

VenomTongue
2016-09-10, 07:32 PM
Thomas Cooper enters the tavern, carrying his hawk, Sammy on his gloved forearm.
Thomas takes his seat and orders a breakfast of sausage, two eggs sunny side up, a cup of warm tea and a small raw piece of pork for his hawk.
Thomas eats while pausing intermittently to hand feed his hawk scraps of pork. Who's a good hawk, you are. Yes you are. Gently, gently. Good boy.

JBarca
2016-09-10, 10:14 PM
Hemlein smiles at his companions as he enters the room.

"I'd suggest we eat quickly, friends. Although our employer can be more than a little... eccentric, I would be more than a little upset if our inaction saw his, eh, 'prophecies' come true.

Anyway, how are we all doing this fair morning?"

Hemlein sits on a Human-sized chair and leans it back against a wall, waving away the lad if he approaches. Hemlein liked the boy, if only because the poor kid was constantly asking for healing. He'd yet to fully mature into his lanky frame and routinely found himself bumping into corners or tripping down stairs.

Ah, well. Something to do, if nothing else, and always pleasant to share my gifts with others. I wonder if he noticed that I switched all of his shirts inside out last night while he slept. The healer smiles a bit to himself, imagining the boy's confusion. Olidammara would be proud.

Zaydos
2016-09-10, 10:37 PM
The lad, Al or Alderik to use his shortened nicknames used with humans, quickly relays the orders and in keeping with your status as valuable return customers brings it to you himself. "Anything else sirs?" He asks simply enough the stitch of his shirt a little more noticeable than it ought to be if worn properly.

The yellows of the eggs are unbroken, the sausage fresh from the stove still bubbling a bit, even as steam wafts from the cup. Thomas's heavy meal is the first to arrive, along with tea for all, followed by Zack's bowl of hot porridge, and then Kiriih and Tsutsui's fair almost in order from longest to eat to shortest.

The merchants leave their table, meals finished, and pay for their breakfast while you eat, beginning to prepare their horses outside of the gnome-hill.

VenomTongue
2016-09-11, 12:53 AM
Thomas Cooper gets up from his delicious breakfast and tips the boy a copper. (I figure this meal will cost me 5cp + a 1 cp tip.)

I then walk out with everyone else.

Dondasch
2016-09-11, 07:08 AM
"Good morning. I am certain he expects us their yesterday, if not earlier, Kiriih." Tsutsui replies. "And I am doing well Hemlen. Thank you for your concern."
While Tsutsui does not rush to eat his food, he does still finish it quickly, and also tips Alderik when he pays. "Shall we be off, then?"

I'll let you tell me how much this costs.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-11, 07:21 AM
"Expeditiously we shall visit then. I'm quite accepting of walking as I eat" Kiriih nodded, picking up his food and moving to stand behind his chair to wait for the others. Knowing they're not always partial to moving quickly, he's quite happy to stand, sitting being more unusual a stance to see him in.

Zaydos
2016-09-11, 11:43 AM
Time: Morning. Day: -

Location: Southern hill of Hamsil. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZbEyb-Wfg)

Leaving the tavern you emerge from the long tunnel, one in which humans can't stand full erect due to its low roof. The merchant pair and their three guards are visible already departing. One could almost not realize they were standing at the outskirts of a village if it wasn't for the farms in the distance. Even so they're rather distant to the east, it'd take about an hour's walk to properly get to one of the farmsteads. Of course knowing what you know as common visitors you know that the village is right here, hidden within the hill through concealed doors and illusions.

A pair of gnomes stand by the small river that runs through the town, washing their clothes, and a few others are beginning to move about their daily business, still more are under the hills than atop of them.

To the west of the sparsely wooded hills is grasslands once more for several miles before the start of the western woods. The road skirts along just around the curve of the hill the inn was built into, where traveling on the road one might miss the gnomish tavern completely; gnomes survive by stealth and subterfuge after all. Still Hamsil is old enough that the secret is at best poorly kept.

It'll take you about an hour to reach the Western Woods on foot. The merchants are moving along the same road, but after about 15 minutes turn north. During that time if you follow promptly you can still overhear snippets of their conversation.

"Keep an extra eye out for halflings."

"Yes sir."

"I mean it, they're thieves."

"Yes sir."

"Frellin' Vistani. Halflings and humans both, and thieves every one of them."

"Yes sir."

"Don't just say yes sir like a frellin' puppet. Keep an eye out for thieves."

(assuming there's nothing else you want to do in Hamsil continue to the below, if there is feel free to state as much)

Time: Morning + 1 Hour. Day: -

Location: Entrance of the Western Woods Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbrQbEOEZw&index=6&list=PLE4735D81E9507F05)

The forest stretches before you as far as the eye can see to the north and south. The Thelcrig Mountains tower beyond it in the distance, some days away reducing the towering peaks to but little lumps into the sky. The forest itself is an old one, but the road is still good made from dwarf-cut stones from when the Thelcrig dwarves still maintained their trading empire. The large slabs are occasionally disjointed and uneven now with time and ill-maintenance, but it is a certainly usable road. (DC 10 Balance check required to run or charge on the road) It was built for trade and is on average around twenty feet wide, wide enough for a pair of wagons to pass by each other with room to spare even though there tends to be but little need for its width now.

The trees loom heavy over either side of the road, roots spreading through the old stone now. Ferns grow between the might oaks, bushes as well, the healthy undergrowth of an old growth forest. Sunlight filters in through the leaves of the trees, though it is dimmer compared to the quickly hardening glare of the sun which creeps ever higher into the sky.

Mechanical:

The road is old and roots have grown in and under the heavy stones, a DC 10 Balance check is required to run or charge on it.

The road is 20 ft wide, on either side is typically undergrowth (half movement) or trees (no movement) although not always (there are empty squares). You can travel off the road if you want but your speed will be halved, and if you don't use it as a guide Survival checks will be required to not get lost.

Please note any special senses you have (Blindsense/sight, Scent, constant detect magic, etc).

Please arrange your positions along the road, and since I have to wait for that anyway, go ahead and give me Spot and Listen checks. I mean I've already told you that there's going to be an encounter before you reach Tes's house so there's no metagame knowledge by asking for it. That and after this battle I'm going to ask for standard marching orders for 10 and 20 ft roads. So we don't have to stop and go 'marching order' as often.

As for meal price it's before the adventure actually begins so I'm going to just ignore it entirely until after you leave Tes's house; you could say your starting gold included it already deducted.

bcool999
2016-09-11, 11:49 AM
Zack

Seemingly coming alive when the porridge arrives, Zack attacks it with a vigor not seen on him since the day started. Once finished, he sighs as he stares into the bowl looking as though he is checking that he didn't miss any. Catching the discussion as the others finish their meals, "That old codger probably can't tell whether it is day or night for all the 'visions' he has... So he will be angry regardless if we are fast or slow. We should at least enjoy our meal before we go." Zack says shamelessly ignoring the ferocity with which he devoured his own breakfast.

Nevertheless, as the others move to go Zack doesn't slow them down.

bcool999
2016-09-11, 07:25 PM
Zack

*BataBataBata* The sounds of walking down the abandoned stone highway flies to Zack's ears, numbing his mind and inducing boredom as they once again trek towards the crazy old, yet surprisingly wealthy, gnome's hut. Sighing, he looks around and spots Tsu-Tsu's paper doll and calls out, "Tsu-Tsu! Your doll's strong right? I bet it could carry me and not even slow down! I don't wanna walk anymore!"

Zack then proceeds near the doll, looking as though he will attempt to ride it to their destination.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-11, 09:08 PM
"Zack, Don't be lazy, it's not a long walk" the birdman nearly skips with his strides. "Don't ever get a horse, poor thing would be walked ragged far too soon" He winks at the others as they continue.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Dondasch
2016-09-11, 09:25 PM
Before setting down the road, Tsutsui stops to refold his paper ally for the day. The task has largely become second nature, and he finishes quickly.

As they journey down the road, Tsutsui hears a familiar sound: Zack complaining. "Strong it may be, but I doubt it could carry you easily unless you lost some weight. And even then, it would have to drop you if we were attacked, which is something I suspect you would be eager to avoid."

bcool999
2016-09-11, 10:23 PM
Zack

"Lazy? Fat!? Hmph, well excuse me for taking joy in the necessities of survival oh trancendent ascetic masters." Zack says with mock indignation and gives a properly ridiculous bow as he walks. "Some days I almost wish we would be attacked on this road, if only to break the monotony."

VenomTongue
2016-09-12, 01:00 AM
Thomas Cooper is content to take up the rear, I send my falcon up in their to follow us and hunt as pleases him.

Don't argue about nothing, though we should consider splitting the cost of a wagon if Tes's task requires extensive travelling. Perhaps a carriage instead. What do you guys think wagon or carriage?

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 01:15 AM
Time: Morning + 2 Hours. Day: -

Location: Middle of the Western Woods. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcLEpxiZ-4)

An hour's march passes by uneventfully. The woods are calm, still, and silent. Not the od silence of a coming storm, or recent disaster, but the simple quiet buzzing of the pink noise that fills the background, birds singing, insects abuzz, the occasional startled jolt of a deer. Not a noise is out of place as you walk through the forest. It could easily lull one into relaxation and a lowered guard, but the woods are a dangerous place, and you've been here often enough to know that.

Only the sound of the chatter of the companions of the Virtuous Horizons seems to disturb the serenity of the forest that they stride through, their little talk of being carried by paper dolls and their need for a wagon. That is until Sammy's screech of warning breaks that stillness. Even as the hawk screams, Zach's sharp eyes can see their moving shapes. Two great black wolves up ahead coming in from left and right sides of the road as if in planned ambush. Glancing back towards the equidistant spots behind him, Zach can see that two is not all, and another pair is moving through the bushes towards the rear of the group.

Their black fur, bulk, demonstrated tactics, and notably red eyes indicate that they are either worgs or worg-blooded wolves.

Mood music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmFZC5Vhlf4)

Mechanical: It's Zach's turn. I assume he'll state the locations of the wolves meaning at least you will all know what squares they are in even if your spot checks didn't quite see them from this distance. Then they'll move forward and it'll be everyone other than Tsutsui before the wolves move again.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWI4j9oAEbl8SzT3_z-SDXDAD4kG7P5zL0k0xMkJb0c/edit#gid=1478909370) (Includes most likely position of wolves next round)

bcool999
2016-09-12, 02:47 AM
Zack
HP: 19/19
MP: 19/21 (After first round and surprise round)

Opening his mouth to respond to Thomas, Zack stops in the path. His earlier demeanor freezing over as he glares balefully off the path and looks around. Hearing Sammy screech and noticing the dangerous glint in Zacks eye, some of you may have already guessed that something is wrong, but Zacks next words merely confirm it. "Looks like we have some Worg-blooded mutts to deal with." Zach says, the atmosphere around him seemingly dropping a few degrees, "We're already surrounded, two ahead and behind. Engaging."

Finished giving his warning, Zach spins in place facing the south west wolf while barking out a word of arcane power and fires off a ray of biting cold at that wolf who is poking it's head around a tree. Not stopping to see if he hit, he fires another ray off in the opposite direction towards the Northeastern wolf.

Taking Surprise round and first round actions here.
Casting 2 Blizzards (Single Target Ray version) one at SW wolf, one at NE wolf. South one may have cover, but the north one is exposed.

SW wolf:
Ranged Touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

NE wolf:
Ranged Touch: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 02:52 AM
SW would get hit except it has 30% miss chance due to heavy undergrowth (20% on the next round but that's the next round) which needs to be rolled. I'll roll it in the morning if you haven't then, but went ahead and moved the wolves. Note to self: Next time add a compass rose. Either way I need to go to sleep right now.

VenomTongue
2016-09-12, 12:49 PM
Grabbing a Dragon's Breath Arrow I fire at the wolf to the south east. (I am assuming standard 5ft squares which means it is within 30ft.)
Attack roll 1d20+9
Damage Roll 1d8+4 plus 2 more if they are shapeshifters, also they have to make a DC15 reflex save or catch fire for 1d6 damage, and if I missed there is a chance I started a forest fire.

Calling to my bird I yell "Stay back Sammy! We will handle these mutts, keep an eye out for other danger.

With that I use my move action to move closer to the undergrowth. Moving directly north from my position. I do not enter the undergrowth.

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 01:17 PM
The arrow thuds into the wolf's hide, sinking deep, but the alchemist's fire spread out before hand and fails to set the creature ablaze. It lets out a pained howl, however, its red eyes glaring at Thomas.

OoC: No idea, I just copy-pasted in the dice roller test thread and they worked there for max damage (and within 30-ft assume that you count diagonals as 1 for 1 to create a square instead of 2 for 3 {like D&D movement and math*} to make a circle). Also note that you could have just 5 ft stepped to the North (assuming the compass rose is being followed and not North = up).

*The diagonal of a 5-ft square is the hypontenuse of a right triangle with side 5' and 5' or the square root of 50 (~7') so 2 diagonals is almost but not quite 15' (it's a bit more than 14')

JBarca
2016-09-12, 05:10 PM
Hemlien warily spins as his companions begin to prepare for battle. His quarterstaff is already at hand, so he holds it in a ready position. Taking a moment to concentrate, he proclaims a brief prayer and gestures toward Thomas. Any doubts the ranger may have had swiftly disappear as Olidammara's mirthful self-confidence imbues his spirit.

Standard Action to cast Ray of Hope on Thomas.

Move Action to stay near the center of the group if needed, otherwise no Movement.

VenomTongue, that's a +2 morale bonus on Saves, Skill checks, Ability checks, and, most importantly, Attack Rolls.

Duration of Ray of Hope: 5 more rounds.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-12, 06:13 PM
Whipping out his Rapier, Kiriih prepares to defend himself with arcane mumblings and some quick movements.

OOC: Standard action cast Mage Armour, Move action draw rapier.

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 07:20 PM
The wolves prowl closer still, their feet padding towards the group. One slips between Thomas and Kiriih dodging the kenku's lunge and waits. Even as it does so another lopes up behind Kiriih and the two lunge one after another. The first pulls Kiriih's ankle out from under him (8 damage and prone), its fangs sinking deep into his flesh, the second bites for his throat but the shielding force of his mage armor shifts the blow a few inches so it merely graces his off-hand's shoulder (6 damage). The worgs ahead of the band move as well. One weaves around the log to leap at Tsuitsui's throat but falls short, even as its companion slows, watching the group warily, its eyes darting from foe to foe, its head down and legs spread out a bit ready to spring, not in to attack but away from blows directed towards it.

Mechanics: Worgs or worg-blooded wolves move their speed. Kiriih gets an attack of opportunity against the first one (rolled 4 + 4 is a miss). The first then readies an action (standard action) to bite Kiriih when the second gets into position to flank. Hits and trips (8 damage), second then bites hits due to prone (6 damage; 14 total). Third wolf moves to the still actually flat-footed Tsutsui and lunges but misses. Fourth wolf (worg) can't make melee range in a single move action so takes a total defense action.

It is Dondasch's turn and then the rest of the party go before the worgs, so post at-will.

These are very definitely worgs. Their tactics are default goblin-free worg tactics, including provoking attacks of opportunity to flank and readying an action to actually do so. In short the timing and coordination is too much even for a merely worg-blooded wolf. Theoretically Hemlien gets a useful tidbit for beating the DC by 5, but I honestly assume everyone is familiar with worgs though...

"Worgs are larger more intelligent evil wolves who often ally with goblins. They are capable of seeing in absolute darkness, and prefer to flank foes and bring them down one at a time."

Dondasch
2016-09-12, 07:39 PM
Tsutsui is taken aback by the arrival of the wolves, having been distracted by the bickering. Once he regains his composure, he steps over to strike at the injured wolf, towering over it in an attempt to cow it. Meanwhile, his paper doll steps into the space he just vacated, swiping at the wolf that attacked Tsutsui.

Tsutsui:
Tsutsui is currently in the Iron Guard's Glare stance, so enemies he threatens take a -4 penalty on attack rolls against his allies (and are aware of this).
Free action to draw his katana.
5ft step to M12
Standard action to attack the wolf at L12 with his katana. If a [roll0] hits, he deals [roll1] damage. Crit 18-20/x2: [roll2] to confirm, [roll3] damage.
Move action to demoralize the wolf at L12 using Intimidate (presuming it is intelligent). If its modified level check does not overcome [roll4], it is shaken and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round.

Paper doll:
5ft step to N13
Standard action to attack the wolf at O13 with its slam. If a [roll5] hits, it deals [roll6] damage and allows a free trip attempt. Crit 20/x2: [roll7] to confirm, [roll8] damage. Trip: [roll9], cannot be tripped in return and does not provoke.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-12, 07:42 PM
Cornered and without much chance of escape unless his compatriots move to defend him; Kiriih attempts to stand up, striking at one of the wolf-like creatures as he does, and attempting to stagger 5 foot away from them behind someone. Bleeding heavily.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage if successful: [roll1]

Crit confirm if necessary: [roll2]

JBarca
2016-09-12, 08:29 PM
Hemlien glances at the two worgs, now in perfect position to drag him to the ground, and reaches for his fallen companion, twisting to keep away from the snapping teeth. With room to spare, he intones his prayer and taps the Kenku, who sees the worst wounds on his body disappear in a warming golden glow.

Five-Foot Step toward Kiriih.

Defensively casting Cure Light Wounds on Kiriih.

Concentration (DC16. Failure loses the spell) [roll0]

CLW, if successful - [roll1]

EDIT: Success, awesome.

bcool999
2016-09-12, 09:01 PM
Zack
AC 16
HP 19/19
MP 18/21

Giving a low growl as the Worgs tear Kiriih to the ground, Zack makes some distance to cast, hoping that the Doll can protect his flank from the yet unoccupied Worg. A cold flash shines from his icy blue eyes as he fires off another freezing ray of cold at the worg just south Thomas.

5ft. step to N15 (hopefully still in the range of Tsutsui's stance since the worg in P15 might get me)
Casting Blizzard again on the wolf next to Thomas.
Ranged Touch: [roll0] (-4 for firing into melee applied)
Damage: [roll1] Cold
Crit confirm if needed: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Cold

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 09:25 PM
The paper doll knocks one wolf to the ground, even as it does the doll's master steps forward blade flying from its sheath to slice down upon one of the two wolves hanging over Kihiir's form only for his blade to swing wide. Hemlein's prayers fill the air even as light and life surround Kihiir's form, his wounds almost healing completely (13 healed!). The birdman is quick to his feat after that, the two worgs snapping at him. One, distracted badly by the imperious presence of Tsutsui looming over it ends up offering nothing more than a yelp (total to hit, including +2 from flanking and +4 from attacking a prone creature = 9) but the other lunges for Kihiir's throat. The armoring barrier of his mage armor prevents a fatal bite, but his wounds so recently healed are back in total (Crit! 14 damage to Kihiir). Even as he limps to flank the wolf his rapier striking out against the cowering creature and going wildly wide, Zach's spell of ice thuds into the one that caught Kihiir's throat and ice forms heavy around its throat as it gives out a dull growl of pain, obviously wounded.

Mechanics: Mostly just resolving people's turns. Kihiir missed and got crit hit, Tsutsui missed but his construct hit and tripped. Zach hit and I've apparently decided that if I have to figure out 'should I tell people creature's relative hit points more closely than 'it's bloodied' it should be reflexive Heal checks (I've been known to just tell players the HP for free before).

The wolf at -26 hp is hanging on by a thread less than 20% health is at -23 which means it is at less than 1/3 health. The other two that have been injured are at about 2/3 health.

It's VenomTongue's turn, then the wolves :belkar:

VenomTongue
2016-09-12, 11:59 PM
Screw it nothing ventured nothing gained.
I take a 5' step east so that I am flanking the wolf with Heim, and I shot it with a silver arrow.
If the wolf dies from the arrow (or is rendered unconscious/immobile) i move to the square directly North of Heim.
If the wolf isn't dropped I drop the bow and draw my longsword. Either way checking for signs the wolves are lycanthropes in wolf form.

Damage [roll] 1d8+2 plus anymore from favored enemy if they are Lycanthropes

Zaydos
2016-09-13, 12:21 AM
Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huQoDlHmqrE)

The arrow sticks into the wolf and it falls landing on the ground with a thud and a whimper. The other three of course react. Between Kihiir and Tsutsui the wolf flees, risking their rain of blows to try and escape them. A katana slices across its back, a rapier piercing its shoulder, and (if our Exalted member wants to take the potshot that is) Hemlein's quarterstaff striking hard against it with a thud.

The other wolves seem spooked as well. The one that had not engaged in combat, seeing its allies fall and flee turns its own tail and flees down the road. The final wolf staggers to its feet and as it does the paper doll's arm slams down hard onto it and it falls back to the ground with a cut off cry, blood oozing from its ears.

Mechanics: Went ahead and did AoOs, was going to leave the paper doll since AoO when it stands versus AoO when it flees is an important tactical choice, then remembered that while obedient it is mindless and that level of tactics should be beyond it. It then got a critical hit so it didn't matter. Rolled damage for VenomTongue (forum dice roller is allergic to spaces) and if Hemlein doesn't want to beam the fleeing wolf it will be refunded 7 hp.

It is now party turn with two dying wolves and 2 wolves ~50-ft off the map. Unless you are going to try and pursue the fleeing wolves combat is won. Normally you'd each get 400 XP from this encounter and if encountered where the worgs had their loot a pittance of valuables (rolling randomly 6 GP and 140 CP each with 1 person getting 7 GP and 40 CP instead) but XP isn't being calculated till you get to Barovia, and the loot is rolled into the 5,000 GP in stuff Tes is paying each of you.

No signs of lycanthropy you can see. The fact that your dragonsbreath arrow hurt the wolf so readily, and that the paper doll and your comrades managed to fell and severely injure another is rather conclusive proof that you aren't dealing with werewolves.

Also reminder to VenomTongue you can't take a 5-ft step and normal movement in the same round it's one or the other (though in this case since flanking doesn't matter with ranged attacks I assumed you'd shoot and then move dependent upon whether it survived). Also don't forget your rapid shot feat.

bcool999
2016-09-13, 01:25 AM
Zack
AC: 16
HP 19/19
MP 17/21

As the wolves flee, Zack's eyes flash red with anger as he sees the worg fleeing east. "If I, Zack Godfrey, let you escape with the blood of my good brother coating your jowls, then what face would I have left to show in public!" Zack roars as another chilling ray of energy shoots toward the injured worg.

Oops... went a little Wuxia there for a second... ah well it gets the point across.
Blizzard on the almost dead one who actually dealt damage and is fleeing.
Ranged Touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Zaydos
2016-09-13, 01:39 AM
The wounded wolf falls to the ground, ice coating its fur even as it stumbles and rolls over itself.

bcool999
2016-09-13, 02:12 AM
Zack

"Humph" Zack pouts as he calms down from his previous ruthlessness settling into mere annoyance, "Can you believe the nerve of those mutts? Disturbing our peaceful stroll through the forest with their nonsense." Sighing, he walks up to the half-frozen worg nearby and twists it's head, breaking the neck before turning to Kiriih and asking, "How are you holding up? Need another splash of healing?"

Coup de Gracing the one Worg I damaged earlier, someone else can deal with the other by the doll. So Should Hemlein or Zack heal Kiriih? Zack can heal 7-14 with one heal, and it only costs 1 mp so should he do it?At most it's just 2 mp whereas Hemlein has less slots to spare.

VenomTongue
2016-09-13, 02:15 PM
Its strange behavior for worgs to hunt in the middle of the day like this. Also pack hunters like worgs tend to concentrate on the weakest of the herd... or party in our case. The only thing I can figure is the poor things must have been starving.

I attempt to reclaim my silver arrow. The shaft is probably snapped but the head could still be good.

Oh and if the worg near me is still alive but unconscious, I end his suffering.

Dondasch
2016-09-13, 06:08 PM
Tsutsui nods at his doll, and it bludgeons the worg it downed. He then turns to his companions. "I doubt that they attacked us out of hunger. If they are indeed worgs, then malice is likely a sufficient cause."

The doll is going to Coup de Grace the final worg.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-13, 09:03 PM
pack hunters like worgs tend to concentrate on the weakest of the herd... or party in our case. The only thing I can figure is the poor things must have been starving..

"Hello. They went after me. No offense but it's probably very clear that I'd be the weakest of the herd."
Kiriih, obviously in pain, snaps for a moment before collecting himself.

VenomTongue
2016-09-13, 09:29 PM
You probably just smell the best.

Zaydos
2016-09-13, 09:43 PM
With the doll's hammering fist the last of the three worgs dies.

Mechanics: Feel free to RP for a bit, and when you are done just let me know you're heading out again and if there are any changes to marching order or such.

VenomTongue
2016-09-13, 10:32 PM
I roll to search the wolf near me for anything of interest.
[roll0]
Let's get a move on, Tes is going to be mad at us because of this delay. I wonder if seeing the future makes him impatient.

Zaydos
2016-09-13, 10:46 PM
The worg bears nothing of interest or value, unless you want to stop and skin them, any information that they might have had about why they chose to attack your group died with them, or fled with the last of them.

bcool999
2016-09-14, 01:53 AM
Zack

"Hehehe, who knows Ki, maybe they thought you'd taste like chicken?" Zack jokes as he expends some of his power to un-ruffle some of his friend's feathers.

Using 2 uses of cure to get Kiriih back to full health.
Cure 1: [roll0]
Cure 2: [roll1]

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-14, 06:53 AM
Joining the others in the trek onward to their patron, Kiriih smiled.
"Wouldn't be the first, or the last, I assure you"

JBarca
2016-09-14, 08:23 PM
Hemlien swings his staff at the fleeing creature, more out of reflex than an intent to harm. When the beasts die, he can only shake his head.

"Unfortunate that our stroll had to be interrupted by such petty violence. Is everyone alright? Kiriih, I hope you sustained no long term injuries? They were disconcertingly attracted to you, I agree."

Sorry for the delay in posting. Busy couple of days at work, I've been exhausted. In the future, I'm more than happy to spend spells to heal, since that's like 90% of what I can do anyway. Just didn't get the time to post quickly enough this time.

Zaydos
2016-09-14, 09:01 PM
Time: A little past noon. Day: -.
Location: Outside of Tes's Cottage (the Western Woods) Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87hNhgfZvI)

The four worgs seem to have been all the threats the Virtuous Horizons would face on their journey as they make their way to Tes's cottage without any other unexpected or unfortunate events befalling them. The cottage is off the old road a ways through a winding footpath sometimes less than five feet wide, a region which would have made a much better place for the worgs to have attacked from were it not for Zach's ice, and Thomas's arrows.

The 'cottage' itself is built into a tree covered hill, its doorway hidden through simple camouflage, though one can immediately tell something is there for as you approach the sound of bells rings through the air, the tell-tale chiming of an alarm spell. It's only a few moments before Tes's head pops out of a pair of dirt covered shutters, the gnome's eyes narrowing as he looks at you.

Over a hundred years old, the gnome has passed the prime of youth, but still hopes to live five hundred more even if that'd make him the oldest gnome in recorded history. You think. Tes claims to be everywhere from seventy to one hundred and twelve, while the inhabitants of Hamsil peg him as about one thirty give or take a decade. His left eye narrows at you, a crossbow slowly being tucked away.

"Stay there!" He shouts and closes the shutters, and you can hear the workings of some machinery behind the door of the hill before it opens, 20 ft from where the path leads straight across his cottage (it dead ends three and a half miles beyond). "What took you so long?" He asks snappishly, "I expected you here a week ago," His message reached you only five days ago, "The world is in danger and what have you been doing? I suspect it involves bar wenches, doesn't it? Well come, come, the fate of the world is at stake, don't just dilly dally!"

The entire of his 'cottage' is a mess. Papers strewn about, books covering seats, a litter of badgers nesting in the fire place, a pair of ravens roosting within, and no designated bathrooms for his animal friends. Of course Tes, being Tes, he does not lead you in further than the entry 'parlor', a place with a 4-1/2 foot roof, chairs half your size, and burrowing mammals living in the fire place.

VenomTongue
2016-09-14, 09:39 PM
Clean as ever I see Tes. So what's this about the end of the world?

I stand there with my arms akimbo.

Dondasch
2016-09-14, 09:46 PM
"I apologize for our tardiness. We were attacked on the road by the forces of darkness, no doubt intent on preventing us from reaching you." Tsutsui follows Tes inside, trying not to step on anything.

Zaydos
2016-09-14, 10:06 PM
Tes's glowers at Thomas's sarcasm but when Tsutsui mentions forces of darkness the short, even by gnomish standards, man's eyes light up. "Was it the pixies? The druids claim they're some of the good ones, but I know better. They're going to go bad someday, real bad... but no that's not yet. Not now. The threat is in the north. Not pixies, but something else. A darkness that stirs. A shadow that walks where it should not be, a great eclipse of the soul!" His voice rises as he speaks, his eyes still bright with that fervent light. "I see the children of the night in my dreams. The voices of the dead speaking to me. Even sweet Orelia plots against me now. Even her... But you. Yes you... You are loyal to me... he devolves into gnomish then muttering more to himself than you, then he looks up again. "I see a valley cloaked in never ending night, where the children of night rule, and from that valley the call for a hero goes out, a call that..." He bites his lips, face pale, uncertainty showing for a moment, "must be answered. Yes. Must be answered."

"My pawns in this game with fate. My loyal little pawns."

VenomTongue
2016-09-14, 10:44 PM
When you say ruled by the children of the night do you mean... I sort of trail off.

Also I am rolling all my relevant Knowledge skills
Religion [roll0] for children of the night.
Geography [roll1] for valley of endless night.
Also OoC, great DMing, I am honestly captivated.

Zaydos
2016-09-14, 11:14 PM
"I see but glimpses, but twisted reflections, of the unwoven loom that decides the world's fate. In some it is a wolf, in others a bat, in yet others it stands a man, or a woman taller than you and with a wicked mein of green. And the dead haunt my dreams, sweet, fair Orelia, ever young but twisted with the corruption of the grave. Mawmaw Aelephipia weaving with skeletal hands." He shudders a bit, looking down and scooping up one of the badger cubs and holding it, stroking it even as it tries to wriggle free of his grasp. "Trust not the dead, even the most faithful in life, for when the soul is eclipse all they are is puppets for the Lord of Death."

He is most likely speaking metaphorically, though children of the night is a common enough term for the undead and lycanthropes (I'm giving you the latter because this is DC 10 Int check territory). As for a valley of perpetual darkness you do not know of a literal place that fits the description.

And thanks :smallredface:

bcool999
2016-09-15, 12:07 AM
Zack

Eyebrow twitching as he catches that mumbled mention of being pawns, Zack forcefully swallows his retort and asks what he hopes to be the question that gets them past the prophetic drivel and into the heart of the matter. "Okay, valley of darkness, don't trust the dead, all well and good. So where do you want us to go and what do you want us to do when we get there?"

Knowledge(Religion): [roll0] on 'Lord of Death' specifically.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-15, 12:14 AM
Knowing better than to interrupt a monologuing kook, Kiriih sits as best he can on the windowsill. Listening silently while nursing his wounds.

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 12:35 AM
"North. Across the Fallam Desert. In the desert I see the shadow of Death. I see a wise protector, a force for good, unlike those accursed pixies, and I see death hovering over it. Death will claim it. It is already too late to change it, though had you arrived sooner, and Death will not let them rest in peace. You must buy them their rest, for every act against the rising darkness of Death will help. But you cannot tarry long in releasing their spirit into final death. It is beyond the Fallam Desert, though, that you are needed. In the Valley of Eternal Night, the Valley ruled by Death's Bishop, that is where you're needed. For the Lord of Death has begun his gambit, and should it go unanswered the soul will be eclipsed. Go to the inn of adventurers, the inn of three pigs. There will be a call for heroes reaching it soon. You must be there when that call arrives."

Lord of Death is a common title for Nerull. Though given Tes's nature it could mean any god associated with death, undeath, or the act of killing (such as Erythnul), a powerful necromancer, or a powerful undead creature.

VenomTongue
2016-09-15, 01:12 AM
That sounds like a long and expensive expedition.

JBarca
2016-09-15, 05:36 PM
As he enters, the healer offers their benefactor a small nod, doing his best to ignore the mess. He smiles and shakes his head at Tes' ramblings, but goes still as the little Gnome mentions the Lord of Death.

Hemlien pales for a moment, as though fear were about to overwhelm him, before straightening and offering a small smile.

"Well, we can certainly handle this, regardless. Dealing with death has been my job for far too long now. Preventing it, primarily, but also reapplying it to the abominations that claw their way free from its embrace. We shall depart at once, unless there are other questions?"

Death's Bishop? Do I know anything of this friendly-sounding guy?
K Religion, then local (Just in case)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 05:55 PM
Tes gives Thomas a hate-filled glare, "Expensive? It's the fate of all life. The fate of all souls. And you're worried about a little gold?" He sighs, mumbling again in gnomish, as he walks into another room emerging a full moments later with a bag. Setting it down he begins to pull free a variety of items and goods. "As you can see the down payment alone will more than compensate you for this short journey," he says grumpily.

"Greedy little materialistic pieces. Greedy ones indeed. Always about gold. Fate of the world. Stop the apocalypse. Short lived humans..."

Given Tes's love of Chess metaphors Death's Bishop most likely refers to an important, though not the most important, piece on Death's side of the metaphorical Chess board. Most likely this would be a powerful necromancer, or a high priest of a death god. Nerull being commonly called the Lord of Death would be likely, but Wee Jas, Falazure, Afflux, Orcus, or even Erythnul as Lord of Murder. Of course it could also mean one of the half-legendary nightshades, or the almost certainly legendary atropals.

Mechanics: Remember that 5,000 GP of gear you were supposed to earmark, this is when you get it, so let's try and make the shopping quick (and remember if it is a non-core item ask first. No item can be more than 3k, and only one can be more than 2k.

Dondasch
2016-09-15, 06:05 PM
"Indeed, this this dire news," Tsutsui says, nodding, "Rest assured we will do all we can."

JBarca
2016-09-15, 07:02 PM
Hemlien nods. "We will indeed. As per usual, please have my share of the money sent to the temple's charity fund, if you wouldn't mind."

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 07:13 PM
Tes nods. "Of course, of course."

VenomTongue
2016-09-15, 07:53 PM
I merely meant that it would be a tragedy if a mission of such import were to fail due to lack of arms and armaments. The best defense is a good offense as they say. This should do quite nicely. You don't happen to have any items that might help defeat this unknown dread? Perhaps a way of staying in contract with you, your wisdom could prove invaluable to our cause.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 07:57 PM
Tes's eyes turn towards Thomas, narrowing. "Never, never transmit magical messages. Send an animal yes, though never a squirrel. Send a messenger, yes. But the forces of destruction have ears. They listen. As for the other, I trust you'll find what I have provided here useful."

VenomTongue
2016-09-15, 09:13 PM
Umm... last question, how do we know when we're done? I mean there may be many terrible goings on in this location. How do we know when the one we were sent to stop is over? Do you want us to keep you apprized of our progress?

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-15, 10:31 PM
"Well, If you want an animal messenger, how about a pigeon? Do you have a homing pigeon that knows this place? We could send that, at least to keep you appraised of the situation. I assume you'd always like to know what's happening with the lovers of death out there." Kiriih raises an eyebrow, having remained mostly silent in the Gnomes abode thusfarly.

[roll0]
Because I wouldn't be doing justice to the class if I didn't use this feature XD

Zaydos
2016-09-15, 10:38 PM
Tes strokes his chin looking at Kiriih, and nods slightly. "You make good points. Yes, yes you do." He raises an arm. "Cogito," He calls and one of the ravens flies to his arm and he begins speaking to it in gnomish. "I will send Cogito with you, but be careful with the bird I don't want anything to happen to it. And do not take it anywhere near pixies, or dryads." With that 'Cogito' hops from his arm to land on Kiriih's head.

"Now you go with these people, and you keep an eye on 'em, and if they give you any messages for me you bring 'em back here real quick, Cogitotherinofernicus'gilgaladwainseloth'mealticor e, understood? And keep a special eye on the greedy human with the hawk."

VenomTongue
2016-09-15, 11:48 PM
Changing demeanor on a dime.
Hello Mr. Cogito. We're going to be great friends. Wait until you meet my best friend Sammy, I'll make him not eat you. No he won't. You'll be the best of pals.

Wild Empathy [roll0]

bcool999
2016-09-16, 02:32 PM
Zack

Shaking his head at the incongruity between the gnome's conversation with the raven and Thomas's own, Zack busies himself outfitting for the journey. Grabbing a magically regenerating supply of food and water for the desert, Zack then focuses on his defenses with a cloak (which will also keep the party safe from burning desert days and freezing nights) and a crystal which should help ward off any spirits of the dead they encounter. "Alright." begins Zack as he takes his share from the gnome's coffers, "Been awhile since we've gotten any real travelling done. I'm even starting to get excited!"

Seeing the others start to finish their preparations, and assuming there are no more words from Tes, Zack waves to the old gnome and says with a smile,

"You're a crazy old coot whose spent far too many years alone smoking gods knows what hallucinogenic forest herbs and mushrooms. All the same, whatever visions you have always seem to lead somewhere interesting, and your rewards have always been more than generous so I thank you and wish you a long and fulfilling life... Now put that baby badger down before the mother mauls you to death."

Having finished his farewells to the old Gnome, Zack takes his exit and waits for the others to make the trip back to town.

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 02:42 PM
Cogito hops further away from Thomas watching him guardedly. Tes for his part looks up at Zach with a smile, then shakes his head as he puts the baby badger down, speaking in gnomish once more.

"Now, now, the gods don't know, I've been very careful about that. They're in collusion after all, bound by natural order and all. What one god knows the others learn, and I intend to live long even if it means keeping this world from its natural destruction."

Natural animals typically don't understand gnomish.

VenomTongue
2016-09-16, 03:46 PM
Hmm... This bird seems to understand you. Is it your familiar?

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 03:53 PM
"I wouldn't call Cogito that."

VenomTongue
2016-09-16, 04:23 PM
Well in any case he's a cutey. Well let's get on the road. I don't know what the is happening in the valley of eternal night but it is probably pretty bad.

JBarca
2016-09-16, 06:23 PM
"I agree. Thank you again, Tes. I suppose we'll report when we have something to report."

With that, Hemlien nods to the Gnome and makes for the exit.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-16, 06:33 PM
"I do believe we have all we need thank you. Let us return to town to collect the carriage and horses. For a trip like this it may be advisable for me to procure a pair of fast, combat ready steeds and extra provisions for them." The bird nods as he hops off the windowsill and also takes his leave.

Dondasch
2016-09-16, 06:55 PM
Tsutsui sorts carefully through the gnome's offerings while the others talk. He finally decides on an assortment of defensive items and a crystal to help fight the undead.

"Let us make haste." Tsutsui says, following the others.

Zaydos
2016-09-16, 07:48 PM
Time: Afternoon. Day: -.
Location: Hamsil Mood music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZbEyb-Wfg).

Your return to Hamsil is uneventful, any other worgs staying well away. The weather fine you head out once you have the carriage ready, and the horses still rested are able to make good time till the setting of the sun brings you to a stop. The night passes uneventfully however, except for when wolf howls break the tranquility during second watch.

Time: Varies.
Location: Traveling. Mood music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2l_SjwA1h8)

The next evening sees you in the town of Kraon. Although on paper an elven country, the 'Inner Plains' as they are referred to have more human and halfling inhabitants than elves, and Kraon, small as it is (~2000 adults), as the largest community within the plains. While you're offered a greater variety of inns to choose from the inn that you end in, the Cat's Paw, has a performer that plays well into the evening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjEpw4O-WNI), and decent cheap drink, though the good stuff is a little more expensive although quite good for its price.

The next evening sees you camped again, horses tied to a pair of trees. The night passes with ease, a slight hint of Autumn chill creeping into the night. Starting again in the morning you continue on your way till a few hours past noon when you arrive at the town of Aldom.

Aldom sits on the southern edge of the Falam Desert, beyond it the grasslands give way to desert for about one-hundred and fourty miles, a little more than four days of travel. Legend says Falam was once a verdant land, but that a powerful sorcerer cursed it with blight so strong that millennia have passed but still life finds the realm difficult and the rains themselves steer clear the cursed desert; Tes claims that it was during the last cycle's apocalyptic end, and the fall of the elven empire, that the ruins in eastern Falam were those of the elven capital itself. He also claims the cacti move at night and drink the blood of travelers.

Still Aldom is its southern edge, and having traveled six hours there is little reason to spend an extra night in the desert. Somewhat smaller than Kraol, Aldom still does decent trade with the desert tribes, especially the malkith goblins who mine beneath its wastes.

There are, of course, a variety of 'inns' in the town, though only three prominent ones are ready to accommodate a carriage, four horses, and band of eight. There is the Sleepy Wyvern, ran by a halfling proprietor but built, thankfully, to human scale, the Desert Hawk ran by a human innkeep with a warm smile, and delicious smelling pies, and the Tunnel's Mouth, smaller than the other two, and ran by a malkith goblin.

Mechanics: Pick an inn, possibility of something interesting or different information depending upon which you pick. Mostly, though, this is an opportunity to ask any questions you have about the desert and to make Diplomacy/Knowledge (local) checks to Gather Information.

VenomTongue
2016-09-17, 12:27 AM
Desert Hawk. I decline to make rolls. My Diplomacy is pretty low.

Zaydos
2016-09-17, 02:59 PM
Time: 3:00 PM. Day: - (I'm not tracking till Barovia).
Location: Desert Hawk Inn (Aldom) Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x17S_JXmgOs)

The inn is mostly empty when you arrive, but by evening it is a bustling place, various bands of merchants and traders talking about routes through the desert. The men, whether porters, beast handlers, or guards, out number the merchants five to one, and are more talkative with adventurers than the merchants themselves. A few drinks and some slices of pie and they talk freely enough.

"Let me tell you 'bout the journey south. So we started from Miel like most bands do, ran into the sphinx of the northern desert, and Ryak here tried to answer his riddle, but completely botched it and the sphinx laughed us off. South of there we ran into a tribe of kobolds, nasty little creatures, but they scattered when we returned fire, after all they don't often attack an armed caravan. Thomir claims to have seen a desert nymph, when he wandered off to take a piss, but he was half delirious with heat stroke when we found him and just between you, me, and anyone who cares to listen I think the sun had just addled his senses..."

"Tribes? Well not many civilized tribes in the desert. I mean the malkith goblins are the only people that live within it worth trading with. Course there are the kobolds, but they're mostly raiders. Like hit and runs and sneaking into caravans to steal anything they can filch. Always got to keep an eye open for kobolds in the desert. Course the real dangers aren't those savages. You've got to be worried about animals and the desiccated, though those are a larger problem further east. Just steer well clear of the old ruins which dot the desert. Stay on the desert road and you'll be out of trouble."

"Undead? Well there are the ruins. Falam used to be the heart of some elvish civilization near as I've heard and the ruins are still home to the desiccated, plague bearing elven corpses which stir fear into the hearts of men and inflict a dire wasting sickness. Normal weapons seem to have little effect, even enchanted ones, but from what I've heard one just ought to use fire, dried corpses go up just like kindling. Other than that... well there used to be a few human tribes in the desert, but they went into the ruins a little too often, it changed them into flesh eaters, ghouls they're normally called. So if it's a human not an elf it's probably a ghoul. Sometimes they'll attack caravans at night, though that's fairly rare these days..."

"Eh? Cults? None that I've heard of. Well... actually. There is a rumor that the worship of Tiamat is festering in Kaire to the east. That what you looking for?"

"Cacti attacks? Never heard of a cacti draining water from nobody, heard of people draining water from them, but the other way around? What put that crazed idea into your head?"

These and similar tales feel your ears for the afternoon till the sun is well and truly set and night's grasp holds the world tightly.

VenomTongue
2016-09-17, 04:45 PM
Let's stay the night and head out in the morning. Ooh someone ask about giant lizards, that aren't dragons.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-17, 08:33 PM
"We need to find the Inn of three pigs. Whatever that may be, Any ideas where exactly that is?" Kiriih will also ask around town for any information about the 'Inn of three pigs' or the 'adventurer's in' something that famous, even a town over, should be well known.

Zaydos
2016-09-17, 08:42 PM
"Sure it was pigs, not boars? I saw some Three Boars Inn last time I was in Melin, it's a town not far north of Miel, just stick on the North-South Road and you can't miss it, maybe 20 miles north of Miel. Why you seeking it? No one I knew could remember it from reputation."

VenomTongue
2016-09-17, 08:46 PM
We're meeting a friend.

Dondasch
2016-09-17, 10:22 PM
Tsutsui, after listening to the rumors, thanks his informants and assures them that his fears were probably unfounded. He also makes a mental note to steer clear of ruins on their travel across the desert.

VenomTongue
2016-09-17, 10:29 PM
Well all we have to worry about is Tiamet worshipping Kobold raiders, irritable goblins, blue dragons, ghouls, and some kind of desecrated elf zombies. At least their are no crazed cacti trying to suck out or juices.

That or they never leave survivors.

I fill my water skin at the next opportunity.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-18, 12:39 AM
Settling back down somewhere private, Kirrih looks to the others, "Three boars? Or are you wanting to perhaps explore some of the other rumours rather than do as the man has payed us? As much as I am against turning back on my word, he did not seem entirely of his faculties."

VenomTongue
2016-09-18, 02:16 AM
Tes isn't paying us to investigate this desert and its various problems. If this afternoon was any indication this is not the valley of endless night. I say we press on and get out of the desert as soon as possible. Frankly we should travel at night when its cooler.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-18, 03:45 AM
Kirrih nodded, looking over at the horses
"Need shade for the horses during the day though, so we'll need to find places to stop along the way if it doesn't look like we'll make it all in one night."

VenomTongue
2016-09-18, 04:00 AM
Whatever works. You're the one with the horses and carriage.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-18, 05:05 PM
Kiriih nods a couple times and looks around "Where are the others?"

Dondasch
2016-09-18, 05:07 PM
"We should continue on our current path," Tsutsui replies. "Though Tes can be unreliable, we would be ill-advised to ignore the situation if it is as serious as he thinks it is."

VenomTongue
2016-09-18, 06:09 PM
Tsutsui you came out of nowhere. I was just saying that. The only point of contention is do we leave in the morning or now? If we leave now I say we first pack some extra food and water. I also think we should get a map. Navigating the desert at night, even with a map can be difficult. We'll need a compass (if thats a thing in this universe) and precise directions, or a guide that knows where they're going.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-18, 07:05 PM
"Yes, well I have the Provisions box's so the food and water is little issue. Shade and a map would be useful. Tsu, do you have any ideas where we might procure those?" Kiriih sits up as straight as he can, looking out of town to consider their choices.

JBarca
2016-09-18, 07:37 PM
Hemlien remains silent after his rumor-gathering. His companions are at this point hopefully aware that he requires no shade nor water despite the desert's heat. His faith alone sustains him, and Olidammara's blessings keep him at a very comfortable temperature at all times.

When the desert night is mentioned, though, the healer leans forward. "Just how cold does a desert get when the sun goes down? I've heard rumors, but I'm a little worried. We won't freeze out there, will we?"

bcool999
2016-09-18, 10:48 PM
Zack

"No need to worry about temperature troubles." Zack says as he leans back on his chair, "My cloak that I got from the Gnome releases an aura in a range of about 30ft. that protects as an Endure Elements abjuration. So be it desert heat or frost we should be fine. Only thing we need to worr about are any nuisances along the way."

VenomTongue
2016-09-19, 01:36 AM
Setting off tonight has the advantage of speed and cool. But if your cloak will keep our party comfortable, traveling at day with other travelers will likely keep us safer, or make us more tempting targets...
Either way my bow is yours. If you are done with me I am going to go sleep in the carriage until we depart. I'll leave any decisions in your hands.

Zaydos
2016-09-19, 03:01 PM
Time: Varies. Day: -
Location: North-South Road, Western Falam. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E)

Setting forth in the morning sheltered by the protective envelope of Zach's cloak and haunted by the memories of delicious pie being left behind you make good time on your first day through the desert. Except for a few desert hawks scavenging the carcass of a horse you see nothing of interest in this first leg of your journey. While merchant trade is common in the western edge of the Falam Desert, the full season does not begin for several weeks yet, and most merchants travel at night, and in large caravans; in fact the entire group you saw in the Desert Hawk the evening before were perhaps a portion of one such caravan, or possibly two one heading north the other south. Traveling in your small group of eight with a single carriage you would certainly be an oddity worth talking about by any you encounter.

Having left early in the morning you still have hours before the sun sets to set up your tents and tie your horses to stony outcroppings. The night passes uneventfully, except for when the sound of horses alert your nights watchmen. It is no threat, however, merely a sortie, 25 men strong, out of Aldom that had been sent to drive off a kobold tribe several nights pass. They have just returned to the North-South Road after pursuing the enemy to the West. They speak warnings against traveling in such small numbers for the ghouls, desiccated, and kobolds will see it as an opportunity to feast, plunder, or whatever it is that motivates the desiccated to kill the living. They also warn that wyverns have been spotted of late in the desert, and that while, assuming you have the means to survive a day time journey, you can avoid the worst of the other threats by traveling under the sun, the wyverns show no fear of it.

Outside of that the night passes uneventfully, and the morning brings the harsh light of a new sun. The second day passes much as the first until...

Time: Afternoon (7 hours into day's march)
Location: North-South Road, Western Falam. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_zeiKrRTuk)

From his perch, Thomas would be the first to see it, what looks like an abandoned wagon on a small hill just off the road between some rocky outcroppings in the desert. A dead horse, skeleton still being picked clean by scavenging birds, lays in front of the wagon. Whoever was in the wagon seems to have been left to rot, if the stench of rotten flesh pervading the air and invading your nose even from here is any indication. Still from afar and half concealed the wagon looks like it might be in working condition. Only one of the two horses one would expect from a wagon of this size seems to have been left with it, the other most likely having either fled from the scene, or been taken.

Mechanics: You should be glad I finished writing this post before remembering my love of giant scorpions as I may now go re-write my little random encounters thing to throw on some actual day time encounters.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vrn3y9OFP_Zi6T0HnIf9MzhT2zX0SaXenkSrq8S29ws/edit#gid=0).

Oh wait, mechanics, you can all see a wagon a ways away on the hill. It reeks of rotting flesh even from here. You can just walk on by or go investigate, it's your choice. From this distance you cannot tell if it is salvageable, but it may be a functional wagon, if you'd like to yoke the scout horses to it.

VenomTongue
2016-09-19, 03:53 PM
Okay first things first I want to roll Knowledge Religion for each of those undead you mentioned.
So for the ghouls [roll0]
For the desiccated [roll1]
For the wyvern I am not sure what to roll
For the kobolds I also am similarly confused as to what to roll.

Nudging Kiriih on the shoulder and pointing at the wagon .
Signs of a recent attack. We should be on the look out for an ambush near here. Predators tend to stalk the same areas as long as they continue to find fresh meat. Keep your weapons ready.
We could check it out, but I don't recommend it. I'll tell the others while you about it.

I then hang my head over and relate the same information to those in the carriage.
Afterward I ready my bow for combat.

Also those rolls are 4 higher, I forgot to add in my favored enemy bonus.

Zaydos
2016-09-19, 03:56 PM
Mechanics: Knowledge (local) for kobolds, Knowledge (arcana) for wyverns.

Ghouls are a form of undead which feeds upon human flesh and are more active at night. More powerful ghouls are called ghasts.

You have no idea what a desiccated is... well except that they were mentioned to you two days ago. Apparently they're undead elves and don't move about much during the day.

VenomTongue
2016-09-19, 05:33 PM
Ghouls are a form of undead which feeds upon human flesh and are more active at night. More powerful ghouls are called ghasts.

You have no idea what a desiccated is... well except that they were mentioned to you two days ago. Apparently they're undead elves and don't move about much during the day.

Did you include the +4 I forgot to add? Also I am really hoping to find information related to damage reduction or energy resistance.

Zaydos
2016-09-19, 05:51 PM
+4 bonus? Strangely favored enemy does not give a bonus on Knowledge checks so if that's what you're getting the +4 from... why does favored enemy not give a bonus on Knowledge checks.

That said 15 would tell you... less than the people in town did about desiccated, and 17 would be enough to inform you that ghouls can cause paralysis and spread their cursed existence through a fever inducing disease.

bcool999
2016-09-19, 06:13 PM
Zack

"Ugh disgusting." Zack complains as the smell hits him before Thomas's explanation, "Should I just burn it down? The smell warrants a funeral pyre... *Sigh* but I guess that would have to wait until we make sure no one is somehow surviving in that mess, or if there are any valuables left behind."

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-19, 06:41 PM
"I had a similar thought Zack. It would be best to check for survivors or at least information on who was lost so as to send word to next of kin. And it is quite plausible either something was left, or a clue might be garnered about proximate dangers by examining it." He speaks up somewhat suddenly "I say we check it out. Might be a good idea for a scout to run ahead and around it, in case of something primitive"

JBarca
2016-09-19, 07:34 PM
Hemlien nods.

"We should absolutely investigate. I refuse to pass this by if there is even the slightest chance that there may be survivors. And a burial might be better than a pyre. The smoke out here will be visible for miles. We'd be lighting a beacon for potential aggressors."

That said, Hemlien hops out of the carriage and begins walking toward the mess.

Dondasch
2016-09-19, 09:32 PM
"We will take point." Tsutsui says, moving with his doll to the front of the group.

bcool999
2016-09-19, 10:09 PM
Zack

Falling in about 10ft behind Tsutsui, Zack motions for Hemlein to join him, "Let's go, if there is anyone left there they would need our help... though I still think burning would be better than burying. It would be way to exhausting trying to dig around here."

VenomTongue
2016-09-19, 10:35 PM
I'll run around to the other side to provide covering fire so we're not caught unaware.

Before leaving I tell Sammy the hawk to watch our carriage, and if he sees anything from above to alert us.
If I can, I move around the grisly scene until I am thirty five feet away on the other side from my compatriots, so as to take a flanking position.
I ready my bow with a standard arrow.
I am going to do this as stealthily as I can. So I am going to roll both hide and move silently.
Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-20, 04:41 PM
Silently, Kiriih dismounts, waving one of the bodyguards to accompany him, as he moves around the rock to approach the wagon from the northside, sword drawn and looking quite ready to flee.

Move Silently: [roll0]

Zaydos
2016-09-20, 04:49 PM
Approaching the wagon across the scattered rocks and scree of the sloped waste, it's impossible not to notice the odor. The vultures glare at Tsutsui and the doll taking wing at their approach flying up onto the top of the rock outcropping to wait for the interfering humans to leave. Tracks, from the wagon's wheels, and other sources, are scattered about the landscape but it'd take a trained tracker to tell anything from them, and Thomas is still looping around from the opposite direction. The wagon's covered roof is still mostly intact a single hole in the side, but there's not much that can be seen in from down the slope. Cresting the hill the charnel odor grows to almost overwhelming, no it can only be described as overwhelming. The scent doesn't seem to be coming from the wagon but the rocks, and from atop the hill, and on the side of the rock it's possible to see that it is an uneven surface and there is a crevice large enough for a human body to be pushed into, or for someone to...

His eye catches movement within the wagon. It's a human, no elven, corpse, but it is very much not truly dead. The creature's flesh is desiccated and taunt across its body, bones showing, mouth open in a perpetual scream. With empty sockets the desiccated corpse stares into Tsutsui's eyes and he can feel his scream freeze in his throat only barely escaping his lips before his entire body freezes with fright.

That's when the creature moves lurching towards Tsutsui and rising to its feet as it steps forward to the front of the wagon and into common view. Its horrid form, though, fails to seize the hearts of Tsutsui's comrades, save Kiriih's not so valiant bodyguard. From the crevice of the rock another creature stumbles forth, an emaciated corpse. This one is human, or at least was, its face is distended into an almost bestial jaw and snout, its fingers twisted into talons, bone having stretched to burst from its fingers. It staggers forth claws stretching towards Tsutsui as it moves to stand among the bones of the dead horse.

Gnawed on, humanoid bones can be seen within the wagon by Tsutsui, as well as whatever goods or supplies they were carrying.

Mechanics: The desiccated has a you see it you're paralyzed (with fear) effect and Tsutsui's Will save did not save him. Thankfully when I decided to roll the party Will saves in the dice roll test thread to prevent me from fudging it so less of you were paralyzed than ought to be after realizing Tsutsui was everyone else passed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21223717&postcount=2291) (I did not roll for the hawk or retainers, if you call them towards the battle they'll need to make a save). Rolled bodyguard's afterwards because there was a post while typing this. Also realized I forgot to note Tsutsui is sickened unless he has some resistance/immunity to poison I missed.

Tsutsui (and his doll), Hemlein, Kiriih's paralyzed bodyguard (with a nat 20), and Thomas go before the enemies (and because the enemies have different initiatives there will be 2 half party turns and 2 half monster turns).

In your post include 3 Fortitude saves. The first for if you go within 10 ft of the ghast, and the other two as a just in case the enemies get a successful hit on you.

Tsutsui is paralyzed for this round, and... well the players shouldn't know the exact duration. Hemlein is approaching via difficult terrain so can't 5-ft step adjacent, but I will allow him to toss Tsutsui down the hill (1d6 bludgeoning damage, end in W16) and out of coup de grace range as a standard action (no roll needed) if he moves adjacent to Tsutsui.

The desiccated corpse might be one of those desiccated you heard about. The other is a ghast. Man-eating undead they typically haunt graveyards and eat corpses; of course you already knew their lesser cousins were common in the desert. Their bite and claws are deadly due to their ability to paralyze, and their bite carries the dangerous ghoul fever that can create more of their kind. Their charnel odor is probably what you smelt from the road and is enough to sicken a man, leaving him more vulnerable to their paralytic attacks (-2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).

The desiccated elf corpse is a desiccated, or in the Monster Manual mummy. They typically stay within the ruins that dot the Falam desert but they are intelligent and murderous. They are resistant to most weapons, including magical ones, but their dried out bodies are easily harmed by fire. Their touch carries a deadly wasting disease, and their mere appearance can freeze the heart with fear. The other is a ghast. Man-eating undead they typically haunt graveyards and eat corpses; of course you already knew their lesser cousins were common in the desert. Their bite and claws are deadly due to their ability to paralyze, and their bite carries the dangerous ghoul fever that can create more of their kind. Their charnel odor is probably what you smelt from the road and is enough to sicken a man, leaving him more vulnerable to their paralytic attacks (-2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks).

Thomas made the DC to recognize the desiccated, but gains no information that's worth repeating (it would boil down to it's an elven undead known to lurk in ruins in the region).

In theory this should be a difficult encounter. You actually got lucky on saves (only 2 of you had a better than 50% chance not to be paralyzed), and with undead like these that's a big part of the danger (if Hemlein and the doll don't prevent it Tsutsui will be coup de grace once or twice), and will be the big difference in difficulty (come to think of it, this is a poor choice of encounter for testing purposes due to the massive luck swing... which is the exact reason that I didn't go with the random basilisk the mini-module suggested I throw in at some point). That said you have an undead hunter and someone who can turn undead so you have a good chance to escape with minimal harm.

VenomTongue
2016-09-20, 07:13 PM
Fortitude saves:
#1 [roll0]
#2 [roll1]
#3 [roll2]

I move to attack the desiccated undead elf with a dragon's breath arrow. I don't know, but I am hoping his papery, dehydrated skin is flammable.
Roll for attack [roll3]
Damage roll, he typed optimistically, [roll4] (+1 for str, +1 for enchancement bonus, +4 for favored enemy, +1 fire for the arrow)
[roll5] if he catches on fire from the arrow, the save is DC 15 Reflex.
[roll6] no matter what from the true death crystal.

Zaydos
2016-09-20, 07:45 PM
The arrow thuds into the desiccated's back. It seems to barely notice until the flames burst across its back, at which point the creature's perpetually gaping mouth emits a low, rage-filled moan. It is not the sound of a beast in pain, but of malice, and hatred that goes beyond a desire for revenge against one who just attacked it. It is the sort of sound to fill the heart with dread, the cry of a lost soul wailing against all of life, all that it once had but which now remains forever beyond its reach.

Mechanics: Since you said you moved and you didn't use Rapid Shot and didn't roll for the mentioned cover from your direction, I assumed you moved to where you had an actual clear line of fire (in so much as no cover) and I placed you at the closest such space. Also since you were moving to shoot the desiccated, I assume you should have included PBS.

JBarca
2016-09-20, 08:00 PM
Fortitude Saves
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Hemlien's eyes widen and he steps backward in shock.

"No... I... Olidammara Turn you, you monsters!"

As he holds forth his holy symbol, a radiant pulse of energy bursts forth.

The "step backwards" was nonmechanical.
Standard - Turning! [roll3] and [roll4]

So. Up to 8HD per monster, hitting 12HD total. And if they have 2HD or fewer, they're destroyed.

If the Undead are Turned, Hemlien will take a Move Action to, uh, tactically reposition himself about fifteen feet away. If they are not Turned, he prays that they leave him alone...

Zaydos
2016-09-20, 08:05 PM
The ghast flashes its unnaturally sharp teeth, its glassy dead eyes widening as they look at Hemlein. Across its face hunger turns to fear.

The paper doll turns and pushes its master down the scree covered hill, rocks cutting the paralyzed samurai's form, but still less lethal than the desiccated's attack would have been (5 damage).

The desiccated on the other hand flinches, empty spheres turning towards you, the hateful wail twisting further into a gaze of pure loathing, perhaps a trace of envy in its once fine features. Even so it turns and lopes to the one who hurt it, flames still burning on its back as it thuds off of the wagon and brings its fist slamming into the archer repaying his tit for tat as its club like arm smashes into his collar bone (14 damage, forgot high ground).

Mechanics: Not quite enough turning damage to turn both, so question, do you back up 15 ft if you only turn one? Either way to keep things rolling I will assume Dondasch goes with the 'do not commit suicide' route and has his doll push him. And since your movement doesn't affect the desiccated's action one way or another, and it's its turn I'll go ahead and have it take it, so that Atlas and bcool can go if they'd like.

Between an above average number of successful saves and a good turning roll you've got this fight probably in the bag at this point, but that'd be true of any party with a cleric except for the paper doll's ability to push Tsutsui away.

Overall at the moment: Little worried about the paper doll's power level compared to an animal companion (the stuff in the expansion threads tends to be a bit more powerful than the original threads for some reason).

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-20, 08:38 PM
Knowing it's crazy to, Kiriih sees his best option and takes the chance; darting to between the dried and burning elf, and the Ghast by the wagon. He attempts to avoid any incoming attacks in as he sets up to make it easier for Thomas and the Doll to attack their targets.

Tumble(to avoid AoO from desiccated while moving through V12 to W13) [roll0] (Which I fail)

OOC: I love that the party is split into two initiative groups, with one group south of the monsters and the other north XD

Zaydos
2016-09-20, 08:47 PM
The desiccated's arm swings back in a powerful backhand as Kiriih tumbles behind it, striking the kenku hard across the gut (14 damage).

VenomTongue
2016-09-20, 10:05 PM
Holy crap I 5 foot step away and attack it again this time using rapid shot and Point Blank shot. I used two more dragon's breath arrows.
[roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2] for the crystal and subject to a reflex save [roll3]
That was so much fun I'll do it again.
[roll4] for [roll5] and [roll6] for the crystal and subject to a reflex save [roll7]

bcool999
2016-09-21, 01:11 AM
Zack
HP 19/19
MP 16/21
AC 16

Seeing Tsutsui paralyzed at his feet, Zack's normally cool blue eyes flash red for a moment before he says, "For a creature that fears the flame, I must say that you choose very, VERY poorly whom to focus your efforts on."

Finishing his taunt, Zack's arms alight with flames, building in both of his palms before shooting out a short distance and colliding forming a ball of burning flames that builds until Zack trembles with the effort of containing it. Barking out a word of arcane power, Zack unleashes the built up energy, rupturing from the flaming orb in a torrent of lava-like power.

Let's see how my most powerful blast does against a foe weak to that element shall we? Wasteful? Definitely. The satisfaction if it hits? Priceless.

Casting FIRA: [roll0] (shooting into melee penalty)
Damage: [roll1] Fire Damage
[roll2] (shooting into melee penalty)
Damage: [roll3] Fire Damage

Zaydos
2016-09-21, 03:33 AM
Narrowly avoiding fiery destruction through sheer chance, the desiccated lets out another groan, even as the ghast begins to flee attempting to scramble past its foes and head straight as far from Hemlein as it can. Even as the paper doll strikes the hungry undead, Thomas steps back and shoots two arrows into its desiccated partner, one after another thudding in.

Mechanics: The doll hit the ghast for 10 damage. If you want to trip it it's tripped but I'm leaving that up to Tsutsui. It is now the doll's and Hemlein's turns. Then it will be the desiccated's turn. I need to sleep now, however.

Dondasch
2016-09-21, 07:32 AM
The ghast tumbles to the ground when the doll strikes it. Unable to clearly see the rest of the battle from the bottom of the hill, Tsutsui instructs the doll to continue attacking the ghast.

I'm assuming that the hill is steep enough/Tsutsui is facing the wrong way enough that he doesn't know where the dessicated is. So he's focusing on the one he knows the doll can get at safely.

Doll:
Choosing to trip the ghast.
Standard action to attack the ghast at V13 with its slam. If a [roll0] hits, it deals [roll1] damage. Crit 20/x2: [roll2] to confirm, [roll3] damage.

If the ghast is still unalive: Remain there, take the AoO if it tries to get up.

If the ghast is redead: Move action to approach the dessicated, with V11 being the preferred location.

Zaydos
2016-09-21, 12:28 PM
The doll smashes into the ghast cracking bones, and causing the undead creature to hiss and howl with pain.

Mechanics: Ghasts is still undead. Looking pretty beat up, but not dead.

JBarca
2016-09-21, 09:31 PM
Hemlien again raises his holy symbol, but this time points it toward his Kenku ally as he moves forward. A familiar glow surrounds the feathered warrior, mending the worst of his wounds.

Move to U17.

Standard to cast Cure Light Wounds on Kiriih.

[roll0]

Zaydos
2016-09-21, 09:58 PM
As Kiriih's wounds close themselves with the holy aid, the desiccated glances at Hemlein with its dried out sockets, thin, parchment like lips pulling back from its teeth, revealing its gums, as it hisses more like a snake than an elf. Then it moves. Not towards Hemlein, despite the palpable hatred its gaze holds, but towards Thomas. Shuffling forward to strike into him with both hands swung together like a hammer down onto his collar bone (15 damage). Flames still lick its body, bone charring as its flesh sloughs away, a death mask-like sneer of malice still on its face as it strikes out.

The ghast scrambles to its feet and tries to flee from Hemlein, but a blow from Kiriih and the doll ends it permanently, the undead creature crumpling to the ground a rapier through its heart.

Mechanics: The mummy 5-ft steps next to Thomas and hits him. Then I fudge the initiative order a bit just to go ahead and get the 2 AoOs out of the way because they kill the ghast, and with it out of the way it's party turn, including the no longer paralyzed Tsutsui.

The bodyguard is still paralyzed with terror.

bcool999
2016-09-21, 10:10 PM
Zack
HP 19/19
MP 15/21
AC 16

Sighing in disappointment as he misses, Zack hangs his head and says, "Such a waste of effort... well let's see if this works..."

With that, Zack moves forward to get a better shot and more calmly raises a hand to shoot out a ray of fire.

Casting good old 1MP Fire this time.
Ranged Touch: [roll0] (Thomas doesn't have a melee weapon so no penalty for firing into melee!)
Damage: [roll1] Fire Damage

Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

VenomTongue
2016-09-21, 10:27 PM
I could really use one of those healing spells.

Wheezing through what feel like broken ribs and exhaling blood, Thomas steps back from the desicated elf and fires two flaming arrows in rapid succession at point blank range.
I used two more dragon's breath arrows.
[roll0] for [roll1] and [roll2] for the crystal and subject to a DC 15 reflex save [roll]1d6[roll].
That was so much fun I'll do it again.
[roll3] for [roll4] and [roll5] for the crystal and subject to a reflex save [roll]1d6[roll].

Zaydos
2016-09-21, 10:37 PM
Time: After battle.
Location: Abandoned Wagon. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPr6sllP78).

Before Thomas has the chance to burn through more of his fire arrows, the fire streaks towards the back of the desiccated's head striking it. The creature points at Hemlein as it falls to the ground, words coming from its mouth before its movements cease its body laying still as the alchemist's fires burn across it.

When the fires have burnt out across its body the desiccated bones can be seen plain and clear, if charred. It carried nothing, nor did its ally the ghast. Even so the goods in the wagon remained. A small leather pouch of field rations, a large bag of what looks like salt, another three of what smells like pipeweed, and a third, much smaller bag of silver-spice. There are also three suits of scale mail, three large shields, three longswords, and three shortbows as well as 53 broken arrows buried in the rubble near Thomas.

Even as you take account of what is here, and doubtlessly heal the wounds of those who were injured, pain burns through Kiriih's body, his mouth going dry. Even as Kiriih's body is wracked by the pain (2 Con damage, 6 Cha damage), black lines spread across Thomas's flesh, his blood seemingly dyed with darkness, the same pain burning through him (5 Con damage, 2 Cha damage).

Its words are an ancient dialect of elven not spoken in close to over 5000 years, even so some terms are the same. Curse, Slave, God or possibly slave of (a) god, and Eternity.

Mechanics: The desiccated is dead. The ghast is dead. The wagon is in working order, although you'd have to make-shift tie a horse on one side until you can replace the leather strap (1 GP in town). There's a 70 lb bag of salt (worth 350 GP), three 80 lb sacks of pipe-weed worth 40 GP each, and a small amount of silver-spice, a rare spice used in high end cooking found in elven forests which would require an Appraise check to accurately price. Plus you know the above mentioned armors.

Kiriih and Thomas have also contracted Mummy Rot, I assume you heal them in the 7 rounds immediately after the battle so I doubt the Con damage will kill them, but once it shows up healing magic will be more difficult to perform on them until you find someone who can cure them.

Dondasch
2016-09-21, 10:43 PM
Tsutsui shakes off the fear that gripped him when the dessicated appeared and rises, moving towards the fight. His doll also moves, and swings at the unnatural foe.

Tsutsui:
Tsutsui is currently in the Iron Guard's Glare stance, so enemies he threatens take a -4 penalty on attack rolls against his allies (and are aware of this).
Move action to stand from prone
Free action to draw his katana.
Move action to W11
Anticipatory Fortitude save: [roll0]

Paper doll:
Move action to W10
Standard action to attack the dessicated at X10 with its slam. If a [roll1] hits, it deals [roll2] damage and allows a free trip attempt. Crit 20/x2: [roll3] to confirm, [roll4] damage. Trip: [roll5], cannot be tripped in return and does not provoke.

Tsutsui shakes off the fear that gripped him when the dessicated appeared and scrambles to his feet. He moves towards the fight only to discover that it had already ended. "I apologize for my helplessness."

VenomTongue
2016-09-21, 11:36 PM
Help us... I could totally use a shield.

bcool999
2016-09-21, 11:43 PM
Zack

"Oh yeah? Well he seems to be in better shape than you, you moldy sack of ash." Zack mutters over the burnt mummy before turning to Kiriih and Thomas, "What were you two thinking touching that thing? Didn't your mothers ever teach you that dead things carry awful diseases and shouldn't be touched?"

While his tone is nagging, the look on Zack's face is none-the-less concerned for the health of his two friends.

VenomTongue
2016-09-21, 11:44 PM
It touched me. It wasn't consensual. Please heal me.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-22, 05:15 AM
Gagging and twitching, Kiriih simply lays coiled on the ground.
"What's it doing to me?"

Zaydos
2016-09-22, 01:58 PM
Mummy Desert Rot, it's a cursed disease, hard to cure even with magic and impossible without, turns the victim into dust if not treated properly; also interferes with magical healing.

bcool999
2016-09-22, 02:16 PM
Zack

"Do you want the bad news or the worst news?" Zack asks before continuing on anyway, "The disease is actually closer to a type of curse and can't be healed without appropriately powerful magic to break said curse. Magic which I believe both Hemlein and I lack. Also, if we don't heal the damage it deals properly, you will eventually waste away into dust in a few days, or a week with incredible luck."

Having given his prognosis, Zack aids the sick into the wagon and says, "It may be best to head back and receive healing rather than pressing on. If we encounter another of the desiccated and another falls ill we may be unable to delay the disease from claiming a life. We can collect the items from the wagon, it should suffice to lessen the cost of healing."

Having said that, Zack calls forth magic to his eyes looking over the collected loot to determine what is magic and what is mundane, he then organizes it in the back of the looted wagon. If given proper time, Zack will take out his artificer's monocle and change job to Black Mage to Identify each of the items (taking a minute per magic item) and sharing his findings with the group before changing focus back to White Mage.

Don't have enough ranks in Knowledge(arcana) to use the artifcer monocle until I switch to Black mage for Virtual Ranks. Since I have 2 Job Changes a day I should be good to go Black mage and switch back right? (Black mage hurts MP, HP, and Armor proficiency compared to White Mage)

Zaydos
2016-09-22, 02:22 PM
The leather sack with rations in it radiates magic and is in fact a bag of everlasting rations like those carried by several members of your group.

JBarca
2016-09-22, 06:29 PM
Hemlien hurries to those who are injured and allows his power to heal them.

Casting CLW on Thomas and Tsutsui (in that order).
[roll0]
[roll1]

He then places his hands on the two who are being wracked with some curse and begins to replenish their spirit and body.

Using Mitigate Suffering. I can temporarily fix up to 4 points of ability damage per round. Since there's no reason not to, I heal my companions up to full, fixing the Con first then the Cha. Unless we're interrupted, I repeat this process every 10 minutes until we need to rest or whatever.

Man, Mitigate Suffering is really nice.

We should definitely go back. I can keep you stable, but cannot fix the underlying issue, yet. Hopefully we run into no more of those monsters before we find a healer with a closer connection to his god than I."

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-22, 06:47 PM
"We should not turn around. Any backtracking is a loss entirely." He groaned, standing up and trudging back to his carriage
"If there is another settlement close on our path, we should head there, else just continue to our destination. It shouldn't be too far."

JBarca
2016-09-22, 06:56 PM
Hemlien frowns.

"And if the next town isn't friendly or doesn't have a healer? Or if these desiccated attack again and I'm killed? You'll waste away, friend."

VenomTongue
2016-09-22, 07:16 PM
Hemlein I love you. Going back is the safer route and if Hemlein can buy us enough time to not turn to dust I am okay.We could even continue if we must.

Dondasch
2016-09-22, 10:40 PM
"Thank you for the healing, Hemlien." Tsutsui looks over his diseased allies.
"I say we press onwards. I do not recall if there was a cleric of sufficient power back Aldom, so the time may well be entirely wasted. We will just have to be more careful while we travel."

Zaydos
2016-09-24, 07:46 PM
Time: Late Afternoon (~8 hours into journey), the following day.
Location: Still in the desert. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E)

After much discussion the group turns around and with a wagon and carriage now travels back across the ground just covered. Another night passes in the desert, thankfully uneventfully. The next day passes almost peacefully except for the flight of a wyvern to the east causing momentary excitement, but aside from its loud call startling your sentry nothing of note comes of it. As you begin to look for a good resting spot for the night a ring of wagons comes into view. It's still a ways in the distance, but you're also fairly certain you can see activity there, as you draw closer you can see a full caravan where they decided to rest in the morning, still half dozing. You don't think their sentries have spotted you yet, but unless this is a much larger undead operation which took at least a dozen wagons, it does seem a real caravan. They might have a cleric with them able to cast a spell to remove the desiccated's fell touch from your comrades. If you choose to investigate them.

VenomTongue
2016-09-24, 08:47 PM
I say we investigate the wagon train. We could send someone to talk with them. Maybe someone with good communication skills and the ability to send a signal in case things go south.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-24, 10:17 PM
"I would volunteer, but i've been quite... shortminded of late and I don't think my tongue could well deal with sensitive situations at the moment" Kiriih notes, the disease affecting his way with people.

JBarca
2016-09-24, 10:18 PM
"I'm happy to go. As a man of peace, those who respect such things are likely to leave me untouched. Those who do not will see that I am completely without wealth, I hope, and will see no need to detain me. If this is more of the Undead... I can hopefully Turn them and run." They likely are not hostile, but in case they are, I'd rather not risk any life but my own."

bcool999
2016-09-25, 02:31 AM
Zack

"Not sure why we don't all just go up to them, hostile or not we need to pass them to get back to town and together we should be able to muddle through even if they are hostile." Zack says from the back of the cart where he is lying down as a human air conditioner. "Either way, I'll keep watch from the cart. Don't want to overheat the horses."

VenomTongue
2016-09-25, 03:35 PM
Yeah I think that should work.

Zaydos
2016-09-25, 09:05 PM
Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ)

Approaching the circled wagons you begin to be able to make out individuals up ahead. They seem humanoid enough, and as you come closer you can see them watching you, bows drawn. They look alive, at least, and as they make you out as well they begin to lower their bows, still ready, but no longer poised.

Coming closer one of them, an elf though this time hale and hearty as opposed to covered in taunt, desiccated skin, calls out to you. "Hail travelers, what brings you out in only two wagons? What befell the rest of your group?" The stopped caravan is still quiet distant as they scream this at you, over 100 ft away.

Mechanics: I went with you all as a group because you never split the party (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6y4XYxhA-o). Or more seriously, while Thomas and Kiriih can hang back from combat, or even play dead, sending one person in alone if it is a hostile encounter is probably lethal for them, and if it is a social one it just stops everyone else from interacting. That and it stops the game from stopping dead in its tracks for what is in fact a social encounter (as they are you know talking to you as opposed to shooting you full of arrows).

Dondasch
2016-09-26, 07:36 AM
Seeing to reason to lie, Tsutsui calls out to the caravan "We were traveling north on our own, but encountered a wagon that had been attacked by undead. We had better luck with the foul creatures than the previous owners of this wagon," Tsutsui gestures at the salvaged wagon, " but were still forced to turn back in search of a healer."

Zaydos
2016-09-26, 11:09 AM
There's some discussion between the archers, still watching you suspiciously. "Alone?" They call back with a mixture of exasperation and disbelief. "Come on and tell us, which got you the desiccated or the ghouls?"

bcool999
2016-09-26, 06:49 PM
Zack

"As it turns out we had one of each. A Ghast and a Dessicated. Ghast was was pretty harmless after our healer called upon his god for aid," Zack says clapping Hemlein on the shoulder, "But the Dessicated took a while to burn and his attacks carried illness that requires strong magic to remove. Luckily, I also know a little healing so our two ill companions are in little danger, merely a delay on our journey."

Zaydos
2016-09-26, 06:59 PM
They motion you closer. "No bites from the ghast, right?" They call out, still worriedly, "What possessed you to go out into the desert in a group of what? Four? Ten?"

The group up ahead appears to be three elves, and two humans but there are many, many more in the ring of about 20 wagons, a full fledged caravan of at least fifty people and almost as many horses. The archers, obviously the currently active watch, still look a little suspicious, even as you can see activity stirring within the camp as they begin to prepare for the night which is certain to come soon.

Mechanics: The low level warriors think you're crazy because they don't understand you're adventurers, and that a ghast and a mummy aren't much of a threat to you (compared to a group of level 1-3 warriors).

JBarca
2016-09-26, 08:05 PM
Hemlien waves when he is mentioned, then speaks up.

"We have a patron paying us to stop the end of the world or some such. More importantly, we're seeking to destroy some monsters and, if I dare speak for my companions, earn some shiny metal. We are currently taking a detour, as my dear friend Zack said, in order that my temporary healing can be replaced by a more permanent effect."

Zaydos
2016-09-26, 08:16 PM
"Save the world?" The watch captain calls back, before there's a brief discussion between the guards, and some bursts of laughter. The closer you get the friendlier things look. There's even a woman and a child, a girl of about 11, scouring a pair of pans.

"Well you can talk to the caravan's healer, they might be able to patch you up, though if you want it in a timely fashion it might be a bit costly." The elven watch captain says. Her hair is a lustrous gold, tied back in a ponytail out of her face, her skin too fair for a human, especially one who spends any time in the desert sun. Her green eyes are quick and intelligent as she takes your group in however. "Any lives lost in the battle?"

bcool999
2016-09-26, 08:39 PM
Zack

"Other than Bobby's pants when he looked the dessicated in the eyes?" Zack says with a chuckle, "No everyone came through fine, just have to deal with the sick. The Adventurers of the Virtuous Horizon don't die that easily!"

Kiriih one of your bodyguards is now called Bobby. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2016-09-26, 08:44 PM
There's a few more snickers from the other members of the watch, possibly at the pants and possibly at the declaration of the group's name. The watch captain nods, glancing across your group again. "We're preparing to leave at night fall, and it looks like you've already travelled long and more than passing hard yourselves. If you want to travel with us, there's safety in numbers, a pair of desiccated wouldn't attack a group of thirty even if they'd not hesitate for ten, you'll have to talk to the caravan master. Otherwise show us your wounded and we can see them brought to the caravan's healer; though like I said if you want them healed quick it may cost you."

VenomTongue
2016-09-26, 10:06 PM
I make myself known.
So which way to this healer? Because I have been as sick as a drunken bugbear.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-27, 12:54 AM
"I too would appreciate assistance. Prevent this disease from eating away at me too far." The kenku nods at the people, assuming they'd just elected to ignore his strange visage.

Bobby it is :D

Zaydos
2016-09-27, 01:04 AM
The watch captain raises an eyebrow at Thomas's colorful allusion, but makes no comment nor even much reaction towards Kiriih's own form. She raises a hand and gestures towards the rest of the watch group. "Anestrin, Lian, take these two to the healer, and don't touch them, a desiccated's curse can spread throu-"

"We know, maam," One of the two says, a human male about 6' 1", his hood hiding his hair, his face well cut, and his grey eyes piercing. He looks at the two. "'Sides, if the crow is as revolting under its feathers as the bowman looks right now I'd prefer not to touch 'em anyway. Now you two follow me and Lian, we'll see what can be done." The man, Anestrin, turns to lead the way as the other, an elf presumably named Lian, slips in behind Thomas and Kiriih, giving a little smile back towards Zach and Hemlein, "Zarus is a softie but he's good, he probably won't even charge you if his own magic can do it."

As the pair start to lead away your sick, the watch captain looks at the rest of you. "So what is this about saving the world?" She asks.

Mechanics: I am giving you a chance to object to having them split your party. Because I know player paranoia. That said they're probably wary that you might be bandits yourselves so it might just be they're paranoid of you. :xykon:

bcool999
2016-09-27, 02:00 AM
Zack

Seeing Thomas and Kiriih starting to depart, Zack says, "Ah, if it's fine with you ma'am, I'll tag along to see the healer. Make sure they don't get up to any mischief." Zack grins at that before scowling as he says, "Besides, talking about that old gnome gives me a headache."

With that Zack makes his exit to the healer with Thomas and Kiriih.

If we split the party, we might as well at least have a healer with both halves. Besides, Zack has very little nice to say about Tes.

Dondasch
2016-09-27, 07:29 AM
"Thank you for your hospitality." Tsutsui pauses and thinks for a minute on how best to explain Tes. "In all likelihood, it will turn out to be nothing so grand as that. Our patron is overdramatic at best, and crazy at worst, to the point where he believes that his kitchen door is a 'defector for the forces of destruction'. But despite this, there is often enough a grain of truth to his doomsaying that we felt it was best we investigate."

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-27, 06:29 PM
"He's a confusing fellow, but we gave our word before we knew that, so here we are. Once this problem is cleared up we can continue this farscical crusade." He smiles, as best the kenku form can smile.

JBarca
2016-09-27, 07:02 PM
Hemlien also tags along with the group, curious about the healer.

"Yes, saving the world might be a bit overdramatic, as I mentioned. But Tes did say something about 'Death's Bishop,' so it is worth investigating regardless."

VenomTongue
2016-09-27, 08:00 PM
In a valley of eternal night, wasn't it. Tes has a gift for melodrama.

Zaydos
2016-09-27, 08:34 PM
They make no move to stop the two of you tagging along towards the healer, and simply lead the way. "Death's Bishop? Valley of Eternal Night? Can't say I know what either of those are, unless the Death's Bishop is the rumored king of the desiccated, some claim it was the high priest of some now forgotten elven god."

The healer's tent is on the inside of the wagon ring, though they lead you a longer way between one of the wider gaps, perhaps careful due to potential contagion. "'Ey Zarus," Anestrin calls from outside the tent, "We found some fools that thought wanderin' in the desert in a single wagon was a smart move and the desiccated taught 'em a bit, they were hopin' you could heal the cursed rot."

Moments later a young man, dirty blonde hair framing his youthful face, possibly no older than twenty, emerges from the tent. He wears a loosely draped robe of light brown, his darker brown eyes shining a bit in the dying light. He takes you in at a glance, "The bowman and... the kenku I'd presume looking at the four of you. I'll see what I can do, but I warn you even the powers Pelor gives me are limited here. Will you be traveling with us or parting ways again?" His voice is light and friendly, the holy sun disc of Pelor hanging from his neck on open display.

Meanwhile back at Tsutsui and the carriage, the watch captain returns her gaze outwards. "So what else has he had you save the world from?" She asks, before freezing eyes on something almost at the road. One hand half raises but she holds it to the other guards, "It's just an ant, as long as it doesn't head this way." Glancing back you can tell that yes, it is in fact just a dog-sized ant wandering across the blighted landscape.

VenomTongue
2016-09-28, 12:15 AM
I think we may want to join your caravan as long as we are headed the same direction.
You arent by chance headed to a valley 'cloaked in eternal night,' possibly ruled by the 'children of the night?' Really our best lead is in Melin, that's where we're heading.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-28, 12:35 AM
Kiriih chuckles and smiles at the priest. "I would have thought that the light of pelor would shine strongest in a desert. But then, holy light is different isn't it. Yes, I think it'll be advantageous for us to accompany you, if we are no burden."

Zaydos
2016-09-28, 12:49 AM
"It shines bright here, but in the field of the desiccated's curse, that is a thing which resists the powers of the gods. As for a valley of eternal night, unless you would call the malkith's cities that I doubt it. We are heading to a few malkith cities on our way north, afterwards we'll be scattering and I'll be waiting for the next Southward caravan. Someone has to be around to heal the wounds and touch of the undead. Especially since they've stirred more of late. The last Southward caravan I was with was attacked twice by packs of ghouls," His face looks saddened then, "It had been my hope they were all but gone in this part of the desert. This time last year a ghoul hadn't been sighted by caravans along the Western Road for an entire year, but now the sightings have risen to the highest I've heard of in my life."

He sighs a bit. "As for joining the caravan, you'll have to be ready to go quickly, and speak to the caravan master it's his decision not mine, I merely keep those alive that I can."

He glances between the two of you. "It will require the divine luck of Pelor for me to heal both of you of this scourge, I may even fail to remove it from either of you this night, though I can try early tomorrow morning, and should be able to tend you both, who should I begin with?"

Mechanics: He has max ranks in Heal and Skill Focus, if Hemlein aids him (which Hemlein can do automatically) he can keep you from failing Fort saves indefinitely. Of course he's also only a 5th level cleric. He has Remove Disease prepped twice each day just in case, but even with a +1 from the Healing Domain his CL gives him only a 35% chance of removing Mummy Rot with a single casting. He'll cast it for free, though, which is a plus.

So the question is who should he attempt to heal first?

VenomTongue
2016-09-28, 11:40 AM
You should expend any healing attempts on Kiirih first. I can make do, but he needs it the most.
I can be healed tomorrow at your convenience. I can deal with the effects of the curse for a while.

Will Remove Disease be useful? I thought it was a curse, meaning it would take Remove Curse or Break Enchantment.

Zaydos
2016-09-28, 12:04 PM
Location: Healer's Tent. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5AohCMX0U)

Zarus nods, "In that case... He turns to face Kiriih, "Oh, Pelor, father of the sun high in the sky, Light who guides, I beseech you, let your holy flames burn this foul blight from this child before me. Let my touch carry your cleansing flames!" His right hand moves as he speaks, finger tip drawing the shape of a sun disc, not a true circle as again and again it moves from the ring to detail a licking flame. As he prays yellow-white light glows around his hand and he touches Kiriih, the flames seeming to run halfway across Kiriih's body before they begin to darken and fade, turning black bit by bit before fading entirely.

Zarus frowns for a moment and then clears his throat. "I was afraid that might happen. Oh, Pelor, father of the sun high in the sky, Light who guides, I beseech you, let your holy flames burn this foul blight from this child before me. Let my touch carry your cleansing flames! Again his right hand moves, and again it glows with the yellow-white light of the sun. Then he touches Kiriih and this time the flames do not dim, they do not darken, but they run across the crow-man's body, tracing his arteries, burning the cursed disease from him. They flicker and dance across him for several moments, but then their dance dies down, Zarus smiling now as he says, "How do you feel?"

Mechanics: It is a disease that specifies it's actually a curse. That said it's unaffected by Remove Curse or Break Enchantment and removed with a CL check and Remove Disease so it's weird. In 2e it ignored disease immunity because it was a supernatural curse (it no longer does this in 3.x).

But yes the person whose job is literally to heal this disease knows how to cure the disease.

Unfortunately they aren't good at it and it took them two tries, but Kiriih is now Mummy Rot free.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-28, 04:54 PM
Kiriih Smiles, lifting his head "Marvelous, now I'll be able to assist my comrades to the best of my ability. I thank you greatly sir, such ailments can kill and I owe you great appreciation." He quickly scurries off, looking at the way people interact, attempting to locate the leader of this group before they just force themselves on the group.

JBarca
2016-09-29, 09:31 PM
Hemlien nods as the cure is complete.

"Well done, friend Zarus. I can only pray that Olidammara sees fit to grant me such abilities sooner rather than later. As it stands, such afflictions are beyond me.

"How long have you been practicing, if you don't mind my asking?"

Zaydos
2016-09-29, 09:34 PM
"Since my childhood, more than a decade, though actual magic a much shorter time, of course. What of yourself? And I am sorry that my abilities do not allow me to aid your other friend this day as well." He says to answer Hemlein.

Of course it might be wise for someone to find the caravan master if you want to join the wagons for a time.

JBarca
2016-09-29, 09:42 PM
Atlas said that Kiriih is looking for said master, in case you missed it.

"Not nearly so long, I'm afraid. I've been actively worshiping The Laughing Rogue for, oh, four? Five years? Before that I was likely a passive follower, and unwitting servant of his, one might say. Though I was certainly more interested in the, erm, "trickery" part of his portfolio than the benevolence of the freedom he teaches. To put it mildly." Hemlien gives a self-deprecating smile and shrug.

"So now I work to alleviate the pain of this world, honoring the Rogue's love of freedom as part of that." He pauses for a moment. "Oh dear. That was quite a bit more than you asked, wasn't it? My apologies. I got a little carried away.

"Childhood, you say? Youthful acolyte? A priestly parent? Orphan taken in by the church?"

Zaydos
2016-09-29, 10:02 PM
:smallredface:

"Youthful acolyte at first, though soon after an orphan," He says with a touch of sadness in his voice. "I can't say I've ever actually had much dealing with the church of the Laughing Rogue, they always seemed... well rather secretive. Can't say I've ever spoken to one who truly held the Rogue's blessing before, did you ever meet Mhelek the Audacious?"

Mhelek the Audacious was a priest of Olidammra, race unknown, who stole the royal jewels of the dwarven kingdom of Khalash and gave them to the poor of the neighboring human kingdom rather openly, claiming to be redistributing the wealth that the dwarves had hoarded through unfair taxation on merchants. This happened about 20 years ago.

Mhelek claimed to have done so, but the crown jewels were still in the possession of the royal treasury, and Mhelek merely handed out extremely convincing fakes causing a massive uproar in Khalash as they had to track down the fakes and verify that they were fakes.

Mhelek never existed. Mhelek was actually a group of worshipers including a changeling, a gnome, two humans, and a half-goblin. The whole redistribution of wealth was far from the actual intent, each of them, save the changeling, had personal confrontations with Khalashian officials in the past. Of course the changeling was the face of Mhelek.

Of course while they were verifying the royal jewels the Swage of the Soul Forger, kept at the time in Khalash, went missing and has not yet been found, although the church of Moradin doesn't like that being known.

As Hemlein speaks with the priest Kiriih finds it easy enough to track down the caravan master. A middle aged halfling, the caravan master is currently overseeing the deconstruction of a tent. He stands about 3' tall, his stomach showing more than a bit of a pot belly, his face showing signs of relatively easy life. Even as he watches over the tent being taken down he is eating, pickled fruits of some sort. As he overhears one of the workers pointing him out to Kiriih, he turns, his brown eyes bright, "Yes? I don't recognize you, what brings this meeting in the middle of the desert?"

A dog, larger than he is, that had been laying peacefully at his feet, rises to its own, watching Kiriih carefully and suspiciously, the powerfully built hound looking ready to attack on the first sign of aggression.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-30, 03:43 PM
Kiriih stops close enough to speak courtiously but also not disturb the dog.
"We're adventurers, a sligh disagreement with the Desiccated in this desert shook us up a little before we happened upon your convoy and we were humbly hoping we might continue with you."
He bows slightly before waiting for the response.

Zaydos
2016-09-30, 03:50 PM
"Adventurers, eh?" The caravan master says glancing up at Kiriih a bit of distrust in his voice. "How well can you handle yourselves in a fight, and what can you bring to the caravan? I mean can't exactly say I haven't had 'adventurers' turn bandit before. How many of you are there?"

Mechanics: Kiriih will need to make a Diplomacy check during this conversation :smallwink:

Dondasch
2016-09-30, 04:01 PM
Tsutsui thinks over the various misadventures they had gone on at Tes's behest. "Well, I think the most memorable one was when he asked us to investigate a cult trying to use a dragons to lay waste to cities. The 'cult' turned out to be a wizard and his apprentice, the 'dragons' were shocker lizards, and 'laying waste to cities' meant studying how their ability to sense electricity worked. But after we got there, a bunch of the lizards escaped into the sewers, and we ended up chasing after them..."

bcool999
2016-09-30, 05:37 PM
Zack

Nodding thankfully to the healer for his efforts, Zack quickly becomes bored as the talk descends to gods and their followers, "Should have known this would devolve to talks of religion." Zack says with a sigh before heading out of the tent saying, "I'm going to check up on Kiriih and see if he is done wagging his silver tongue for the caravan master yet. Keep well Thomoas."

With that Zack starts looking for Kiriih, hoping to spot his feathered friend amidst the masses.

VenomTongue
2016-09-30, 06:24 PM
I will come with you. Hey Doc, if I wear a pair of gloves can I be sure to not spread this sickness?
I get up from where I am seated.
Addressing Zack,
"Hey were any of the shields we found in the wagon any good? My buckler is nice but I could use a bit more protection.

AtlasSniperman
2016-09-30, 08:38 PM
Kiriih smiles
"We're simply doing as paid by a somewhat eccentric benefactor. I may not be as handy in a fight as my comrades, but I can help them fight better if necessary. We will not attack any of you, there's no sense in it."
He bows again, intent on making himself less threatening.

[roll0]

Zaydos
2016-09-30, 08:50 PM
The caravan master looks aside at the tent and sighs before shaking his head. "Can't just risk it, though," He says, "Even if I think you're an honest enough it's not just my life I'd be putting at stake, I've seen adventurers betray a caravan before, and even though you're an honest enough seeming group it's a bit too much of a risk."

It would be easy enough for Zach to find Kiriih, after all there's only 2 kenku within 3 miles so there's a good chance the first one that Zach sees is Kiriih.

At the healer's tent, Zarus looks at Thomas, "Although it might reduce the chances, assuming you don't sweat, spit, sneeze, cough, or otherwise interact with people, while under the curse it is probably best you stay under a healer's watch and care."

At the end of the caravan's little circle, the watch captain nods, with a faint smile, "Doesn't sound like much of a world threatening cause, unless your friend is claiming to be able to tell how they would take a dark turn down the years. So what sort of threat is it this time? Gnomes breeding hamsters?"

Mechanics: It's time to scramble for an RP/circumstance bonus. It's doable (with a +19 a 1 would have left it doable) but you missed the DC by a few points.

VenomTongue
2016-09-30, 09:38 PM
I retake my seat, or if there is cot I lay down.
I guess I'll be here if you need me. Make sure to feed my hawk Sammy. He probably wont come to you but if you throw food to him he'll eat it. So Doc you know any good stories? I guess I am quarantined until at least tomorrow. Oh little tip, while I am thinking about it, the decisicated hate fire. Like a lot.

bcool999
2016-10-01, 12:09 AM
Zack

"Oi, Ki, is that the caravan master?" Zack says as he walks over to them, "So are we sticking with the caravan or going off alone again after Thomas gets patched up? Ah, by the way, my name's Zack."

"May your horn ever be plentiful and the winds fair."

As Zack approached, the temperature of the desert became more comfortable as though they weren't exposed to the harsh elements of the desert.

Hoping maybe a greeting in his native tongue and an Endure Elements effect may soften him up?

Aid another Diplomacy: [roll0]

JBarca
2016-10-01, 04:56 PM
[roll0] - K Religion.

Hemlien offers a slightly sympathetic smile. "I, ah, no. Not as such. He certainly was larger than life. Hard to fathom that one man could have done so well for us all. But yes. Many who hold this faith tend to keep to themselves. A lot of negative connotation associated with our lord, unfortunately, so there is safety in privacy. I tend to let my healing touch do the talking if there are doubters, though."

Hemlien waves as Zack wanders off, then nods in agreement as Zarus recommends rest to his other ally.

AtlasSniperman
2016-10-01, 10:44 PM
Kiriih steps back and looks at Zack. "Indeed, sadly he feels too many people may be slightly too dangerous. Perhaps he feels we'd attack him, while seeking sanctuary with this people."

Zaydos
2016-10-02, 02:24 AM
The caravan master gives Zach a little glance and hearing the halfling greeting cracks a small smile, before answering in the same language.

"May you always have milk and cheese, and may your spring never go dry."

Then he glances at Kiriih. "Well think about it this way, enough men to safely traverse the desert, to even risk braving the ghouls and desiccated, are enough men to be a danger to a caravan even from without. Now imagine those same men given days to plan, and get guards dropped? It could be a slaughter."

Meanwhile in the Healer's Tent: "I would imagine, there are some of the gods who see the Laughing Rogue as little different than the Lord of Murder, or the Hater of Life. I will admit that I myself am relieved to know he has such as you in his service, that is..." He bites his tongue as if realizing something. "Still I ought to return to preparing for today's journey."

Mechanics: Zach give me a Knowledge (religion) check DC 20, if you make it I'm going to say that the phrase you went with was religiously relevant (and obscure enough to show an actual interest in halfling religion) to Yondalla and give you all an additional +2 on the Diplomacy check (if you fail it's just a common halfling saying and it's already included in...)

Despite failing to make DC 10, I'm going to say the presence of the cloak (which as a caravan master he recognizes the effect even if he doesn't know it's a magic cloak necessarily) and halfling greeting is worth a +1 on the diplomacy total, so you're that much closer. Just need to bribe him with something (well you need at least +3 if Zach fails the Knowledge check).

If you haven't realized Zarus defaulted to Helpful, he's here to heal the sick, it was his (in his eyes) holy duty to help you. The Caravan Master defaulted to Unfriendly. You got him to Friendly actually, but it's still his job to be suspicious and look out for other people in the caravan. An average roll would have been sufficient to get him to Helpful. Of course Zarus can still have his doubts too :smalltongue:

Also I am not at all tempted to see if I can wrangle up a game with an all dwarf party hunting for the stolen Swage of Morradin a Major Artifact of uncertain powers and portent that was blasphemously stolen by the church of Olidammara.

VenomTongue
2016-10-03, 10:01 AM
Laying in my sick bed in the medical wagon, I turn to the healer and say,
Zarus, could you do me a small favor? Tell your caravan master that you will not be able to heal me until tomorrow, and tell him I am sorry to be trouble to him. I would gladly offer 50 gold pieces and the services of myself (such as I am) and my fellows in compensation for allowing us to travel with them. I may not be of much help but my fellows have incredible abilities, some gifted with powerful and useful magical talents.

Zaydos
2016-10-03, 04:58 PM
Zarus looks at Thomas, disappointment on his face. "Surely you don't think that Darendir would stoop to allowing the safety of the caravan to be put in danger for mere bribery," He says, packing some ointments away. "Even if some gold might grease the wheels, it'd probably be best not to have one suffering the curse hand it to him. It's unlikely to carry upon an object, unless its filthy with your blood, but there are certain fears." Then he looks at Hemlein, "And I hate to say this, but it might be wisest that you are vague to the caravan master exactly what god you serve, most merchants are uncomfortable with the clergy of the Laughing Rogue."

He glances back at Thomas, however, "I will tell him when next I see him."

Mechanics: 'I may not be of much help' says the man who may have done the most damage against the mummy (I'd have to double check how much was due to Kiriih's buffing, and how much it had left when Zach hit it).

As a note the 50 GP suggestion is a good one.

VenomTongue
2016-10-03, 05:56 PM
It was not bribery. I thought to pay the wagon master for his services. I know that many make their way in this world working as guides and wagon masters for travellers. Forming and guiding and protecting caravans of pilgrims bound together by only a common destination. The trip through the desert is arduous and full of dangers. I thought the wagon master, yourself, and the guards were a company ferrying travellers across this great sand sea.
And I have no great regard for Olidammara, though I hope he continues to bless my friend as the strength of his faith is what sustained me when my strength failed, I give praise and glory to the lord of summer and the woodlands Obad-Hai.

In the fight with the wolves one guy shot fire from his hands. In the fight with undead an origami golem basically destroyed a ghoul. In both fights I shot arrows, flaming arrows true but arrows still. Dr. Strange is a better avenger than Hawkeye.

bcool999
2016-10-03, 06:04 PM
Zack

"Well your caution is understandable I suppose..." Zack says as he puts a hand on his chin in thought, "I am a little miffed at being compared to a bandit, but I suppose some of our number were worried that you were bandits too so no offense taken. Besides, this is our first meeting and we don't know each other at all so there is no reason to open yourselves up to risk. However, I must say the peace of mind of having a healer around capable of dealing with disease is valuable in this desert. So valuable in fact, that I am certain our group wouldn't mine putting forth some coin if it would convince you to let us tag along. We already have our own food and water supplies so there would be no cost on that front, and we can be at the front lines alongside the guards if anything attacks the caravan. In any case, there is no need to decide now if you're unsure, we still need to get our friend healed up and settle up our tab with Zarus before we leave. If you still think we aren't worth the risk by then, we can part with no hard feelings."

AtlasSniperman
2016-10-04, 03:35 PM
Kiriih nods quietly, knowing when to remain out of negotiations but showing that he would be happy to pitch in for helping pay their way.

Zaydos
2016-10-04, 04:24 PM
The caravan master nods at Zach. "Don't think your words fall on deaf ears, but it's my responsibility to keep the members of the caravan safe. Still... just till you get healed," He scratches the bottom of his chin, and after a moment says, "Collateral. You let us keep your weapons in lock up while you're here and it'll mitigate the danger you can present, how does that sound to you?"

Back at the healer's tent, Zarus shakes his head, "No, we're part of a merchant's association, we transport certain merchants, not general travelers. While I do what I can to help any that I can, that is unfortunately not the purpose of this caravan. And it was not your faith that I was worried about the merchants learning about."

Mechanics: Gave you a +2 to the running Diplomacy total for that. Close enough he's offering a compromise, but just shy of 'eh sure thing'.

Captain America is a dude who is just skilled at fighting and he's better than both as an Avenger, besides Dr. Strange being a better Avenger than Hawkeye has nothing to do with Hawkeye using a bow and Dr. Strange being one of the strongest people in the continuity, but Hawkeye being Hawkeye. Most people are better Avengers than Hawkeye. Even Dr. Octopus gave him a run for his money and we're talking Dr. Octopus (Doc Ock was a better Spider-Man than Hawkeye, though... actually Doc Ock was a better hero than Hawkeye). Hawkeye is just a low bar for reasons other than he uses a bow.

AtlasSniperman
2016-10-04, 07:08 PM
Kiriih nods, while he likes to help in combat, he can still be of use without manufactured weapons at hand. Or more accurately; at claw.

VenomTongue
2016-10-04, 10:34 PM
Anticipated mood. (https://youtu.be/Khyzj5toqwA)

bcool999
2016-10-05, 12:07 AM
Zack

"I have no problem with that I only use a shield in battle anyway, and Hemlein would likely agree considering he is a holy man who vowed to heal all those who asks for his aid and whatnot, Tsutsui and Thomas may not like the idea though, and I am not some leader-type figure who can tell them what to do." Zack says somewhat apologetically to the Halfling's compromise. "Also, not that I think of it, if you want our weapons you probably don't want us to on guard duty unless something happens, so what other tasks do you have that we can assist with while we are around?"

Other than straight up bribery, only way I can think of at this point to keep our weapons is to fish for odd-jobs to do to improve relations and make us more valuable to the caravan.

JBarca
2016-10-05, 05:03 PM
Hemlien agrees to keep his faith relatively quite while in the caravan, even going so far as to tuck his holy symbol deeper into his voluminous robes.

"If we do travel together, would it bother you overmuch if I aided you? I can heal the lesser wounds, leaving you free to handle the truly injured or ill, if need be?"

Zaydos
2016-10-05, 05:09 PM
At the caravan master: "Don't need to be armed to keep an eye out if any of you are good watchmen," The caravan master says, "The mess cooks could use a hand, they're always complaining about being understaffed. If you can't heal the desiccated's curse, you aren't likely to be able to do much to help with the ghouls' fever either, but there's the stray scorpion sting, snake bite, and the like the horses sometimes suffer, if you can help with that it'll be something as well. Just don't go offering your services as porters, don't want to be scoping out who has the best stuff to steal," They add at the end. "Now why don't you go round up your group so we can get the collateral in safe keeping."

At the healer's tent: "I certainly wouldn't mind some aid, it'd be rather foolish of me to refuse it. That said unless the undead or kobolds attack there's not usually much for me to do."

JBarca
2016-10-05, 05:16 PM
Hemlien stares at Zarus for several seconds, as if not quite understanding what was said. Then realization and concern hits him full force.

"You... You mean you don't find yourselves involved in two to four armed conflicts daily?"

Zaydos
2016-10-05, 05:17 PM
Zarus looks back at Hemlein shocked and surprised, "No, do you?"

VenomTongue
2016-10-05, 08:58 PM
Ha, ha! Hemlein is such a kidder! He really fooled you, I mean he worships Olidammara, he's always kidding.
Anyway about getting my offer of 50gps to the wagon master.

JBarca
2016-10-06, 08:50 PM
Hemlien nervously glances around the tent.

"Yes... a joke. If you don't mind?"

The poor priest heads off to reconsider his life.

Zaydos
2016-10-06, 08:56 PM
As Hemlein leaves the tent, he and the others would be met by representatives from the caravan asking them to gather and directing them to the caravan master's location. Another goes in the tent to fetch Thomas, resulting in Zarus returning the man's 50 GP as Thomas is likely to see the master before the priest.

When they arrive they'd find the halfling caravan master, Zach, and Kiriih already here. The overweight halfling looks up and about the gathered group. "So I heard, and," He glimpses at Thomas, "See, you all had a run in with the desiccated and need a few days to get healed. That said, I have a responsibility to protect the people of the caravan, and that means not letting wild adventurers run loose. So I talked to your companions and we came to what ought to be a reasonable compromise. You hand over your weapons for safe keeping until you're healed and ready to leave the caravan and you can travel with us till that time. So, tell me, how does it sound?"

JBarca
2016-10-06, 10:19 PM
Hemlien shrugs and unwraps his sling from his waist, leaving his heavy robes slightly looser. He hands it, along with a pouch of bullets, over.

"My staff as well? I admit to using it to defend myself, but it's mainly my walking stick. I'll gladly give it up if it helps you sleep well at night, though."

"Surely you would not part an old man from his walking stick?"

Dondasch
2016-10-06, 10:55 PM
Tsutsui grimaces at the wagon master's request. "While I do not like the idea of being unarmed, your request is sensible. What would you have me do with my paper doll, which is capable of fighting unarmed? And, as for payment, we salvaged the wagon that the dessicated had attacked, as well as some of the trade goods."

Zaydos
2016-10-06, 11:17 PM
The halfling nods at Hemlein, "Staff too, everyone knows you never leave an adventurer with a staff, or a wand. On that note you will have to empty your bags to make sure you aren't hiding any swords, wands, chests full of alchemist's fire." When Tsutsui mentions the paper doll, he scratches his chin there, "Paper doll? Hmm... Well wouldn't be fair to make you destroy it. Then again we don't exactly have a lock up to keep it in. I'll have to consider for a bit, and payment? What sort of trade goods?"

VenomTongue
2016-10-07, 10:51 AM
At this moment I figure its a good time to step up.
I would be happy to give you 50 GPS to compensate you for our passage on your caravan. As for my weapons, I would prefer to keep them in case of trouble. Perhaps a compromise could be reached, where Zarus holds my weapons, so in case of undead attack I am not completely defenseless.

With that I offer (from my gloved hand) 50 gold pieces.

JBarca
2016-10-07, 08:12 PM
Hemlien hands over his staff without complaint, then upends his sack, dumping exactly three pieces of gravel and a frayed string to the ground.

"On my word as a dedicated healer, I am unarmed but for the two weapons I gave you. I took a vow when I first became a priest, forswearing all material goods except for the basics. No hidden potions, elixirs, blades, saps, rings, wands, vials, or anything else."

Dondasch
2016-10-08, 06:15 PM
"Very well then," Tsutsui says, nodding and handing over his weapons. "At the very least, the doll will return to being mere paper sometime tomorrow morning. As for the trade goods, we recovered some armor and weapons, a bag of salt, three bags of pipe-weed, and a small bag of silver spice."

AtlasSniperman
2016-10-09, 04:31 AM
With a slightly saddened bow, Kiriih offers his rapier.
"Sadly, I can never be unarmed. And were you to try it, I'd not much appreciate your hospitality."

Zaydos
2016-10-09, 09:32 PM
The caravan master gingerly takes the gold but shakes his head. "It wouldn't do to paint a target on our only healer's back if you are a threat, but I can assure you the ones who are assigned to watch your weapons will know to release them if he says so. That said if there is a full scale attack from the undead watching your weapons would be the least of anyone's worries."

He looks then at Tsutsui, "As for the goods you found, let's get your friend here healed and then talk about it if you want to continue with us."

He then glances across you all, "And we will have to remember to check their bags as well, never know how much one can hold in a bag."

VenomTongue
2016-10-09, 09:54 PM
I think it a poor choice but I am at your mercy until I am cured of this fel disease. I offer you my longsword and these six silvered knives. In my bag in the healers tent is my bow, as well as my arrows, I will retrieve them for your guards when I return to the infirmary.
I hand him my longsword and the six silver daggers on my vest.

bcool999
2016-10-11, 01:58 AM
Zack

After the frisking and searches are completed, Zack lets out an overly loud yawn and slouches as though he is tired. "All this negotiating and searching and whatnot is way too tiring. I'm going to find a wagon to sleep on." Zack says as he walks off toward his group's carriage for a nap.

Zaydos
2016-10-11, 10:19 PM
Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLEICLmWY-M)

Two nights pass uneventfully as you travel with the caravan, no need to do much more than simply healing the horses so that they do not keel over from exhaustion due to the forced march on the first night. In the morning Zarus attempts to heal Thomas's plague but fails to overcome the curse's power, and another night is spent trudging with the caravan. Even so the next morning the desiccated's curse is removed, Thomas's plague healed, and you are able to set forth a half a day ahead of the caravan, leaving as soon as the horses are ready. The caravan master offers to let you stay on and help the watchmen, with your weapons returned, at least until your paths converge but setting off on your own you travel for days without seeing hide nor hair of anything more dangerous than a single horse-sized scorpion.

Time: 1 in the afternoon.
Location: Approximately a day's travel from the northern edge of the desert. Mood Music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLiGh3iKKUA)

The road stretches out as it has for the last hour, the unending desert stretching ahead. Suddenly a cold wind brushes across your face, quite different from the mellow warmth of Zach's cloak, and while you look for its source, a low moan echoes out from in front of you. As you stare out ahead of yourselves, a pale, flickering form can be seen. At first you see the noble visage of a bearded man’s head, twisted with sorrow. Then it’s the body of a powerful lion, ten feet long and complete with swishing tail. Finally, great hawklike wings greater than any bird’s come into view.
The translucent form twinkles, coalescing into a single being about ten yards ahead of you.

“Now you dare the last riddle of Ujaset,” moans the voice, from the translucent creature, its wings spreading wide, even as the horses pulling your carriage shy away from it.

Mechanics: When combat is engaged I'll throw up a map.

You did not have to give the caravan master your trade goods (you only had 1 point of Diplomacy away from 'want to join as watchmen), but being a merchant he still took the 50 gold (he's Lawful Goodish, he's still going to take 50 gold that's given to him, but he won't cheat you entirely).

Now however you are facing a translucent lion-hawk with a human face make of that what you will.

VenomTongue
2016-10-12, 12:06 AM
I dare do all that become a man. Who dares more is none. Why do speak to us of riddles? We have no quarrel with you, let us pass and you'll have none with us.

I draw my bow and knock two arrows cursing my lack of foresight in not getting ghost touch arrows.

Dondasch
2016-10-12, 01:25 PM
Tsutsui holds up a hand. "Save your arrows, Thomas. It seems to be a ghost, and will not find rest until it has no more reason to linger in this world." Tsutsui then turns to address the apparition. "Tell us your riddle."

Zaydos
2016-10-12, 01:29 PM
The ghostly sphinx barely even seemed to notice arrows were pointing towards it, and as soon as the imperative had left Tsutsui's lips its moaning voice begins, the ghostly, not-quite physical, chill wafting about the group as it speaks. It speaks in measured, almost poetic counts, its riddle pouring forth.

"What is half of dragon,
but has not a wyrmling’s strength?
What is half of canine,
but has not a mongrel’s length?
What is it that is of two halves,
but has but half to stand on?"

bcool999
2016-10-12, 02:32 PM
Zack

Listening to the riddle, Zack sighs and says, "I've never really been a fan of riddles... Whatever let's at least deconstruct it. The dragon part, while also being quite insulting to dragonblooded creatures everywhere, probably means something scaled is the answer. The part about dogs throws me off a little, but the part about not having mongrel length and only having half to stand on likely means bipedal. Everyone agree with my assessment?"

VenomTongue
2016-10-12, 02:39 PM
Seems likely. Bipedal creatures that stand on two legs and have scales... its probably something that likes warmer climates and lives above ground given that we're in a desert. So, Yuan-Ti, Kobolds, lizardfolk, troglodytes.. I can't think of anything else.
So what of those has a less than a wyrmling's strength. I once found a tribe of kobolds who were being held at bay by a white dragon wyrmling. I think the other options would be stronger than a wyrmling. So kobolds? Any objections

Seeing no objections, I shout.

Kobolds, the answer is kobolds!

Zaydos
2016-10-12, 03:04 PM
As Thomas shouts out the answer kobolds, the sphinx's lips begin to part, his teeth showing, as his lips curl upwards in a large, beaming smile. "Excellent. You are just the sort of clever heroes that I was hoping to find now. As a reward, I’m going to offer you the chance to find the place where I laired only last night, where I kept on hand my personal hard of treasure. Of course, you’re going to have to eliminate the disgusting kobolds that evicted me from my home." A bit of fury shows in his voice at the end, the scattered rocks near the road beginning to vibrate and lift up off the ground before falling back down.

VenomTongue
2016-10-12, 04:35 PM
Killing kobolds sounds easy enough. What can you tell us about them. And what can you tell us about this treasure? I once went on a for a great treasure of some ant-people, turnout out the treasure was a large supply of old sweet confections.

Zaydos
2016-10-12, 04:41 PM
"DO NOT LIKEN ME TO MERE INSECTS!" The sphinx bellows angrily, small (less than 1 lb) rocks floating up once more rising 3 feet high before falling back down to the ground.

VenomTongue
2016-10-12, 05:36 PM
I meant no such comparison. I apologize for my impudence. Forgive me.

bcool999
2016-10-12, 05:53 PM
Zack

"Don't mind that dummy's mouth Ujaset. He has an incurable condition where his mouth flaps uncontrollably and the only way for it to stop is for him to insert his foot to block it off." Zack says with his usual amount of sass before getting back to the point, "I believe we were in the middle of getting directions to your lair?" Just please let there be no more riddles...

Zaydos
2016-10-12, 06:07 PM
"That 'dummy' is the one that answered the riddle, what then does that make you?" The sphinx-ghost rumbles, the rocks falling however. It raises one phantom claw towards the north-east, "Less than six miles in that direction, you should come upon a cavern with a man-made entrance, a pair of statues in my honor flanking the entrance. There you will find where I laired last night, where the dragons' mongrels MURDERED ME IN MY SLEEP." As his temper flares again the rocks by the roadside vibrate.

VenomTongue
2016-10-12, 06:47 PM
They will receive justice. Ujaset, tell me great one, how is it you were murdered by lowly kobolds? What unscrupulous trick did they use? Did they set upon you in your sleep? Poison an offering of food? Some dark sorcery?

Zaydos
2016-10-12, 06:51 PM
Ujaset glares at Thomas before bellowing, a rock flying with telekinetic force down the road behind the carriage, "DOST THOU NOT LISTEN!? I JUST SAID THEY MURDERED ME IN MY SLEEP!"

bcool999
2016-10-12, 07:12 PM
Zack

Unsure if he was more annoyed with Ujaset or Thomas, Zack starts rubbing his temples as he says, "About 6 miles that direction, cavern, statues of you at the front door great. Anyone else have any questions? No? Then shall we get going?" Zack turns to the others his smile obviously strained and his knuckles white from his clenched fists.

Zaydos
2016-10-13, 09:50 PM
"That is correct," The sphinx says simply enough as you head on your way.

Time Just shy of 3 in the afternoon.
Location: Hill marked with statues. Mood Music: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhEEXj6ae7s)

After almost two hours of riding your carriage (and wagon) through the trackless desert you are lucky to have avoided the notice of a wyvern that flew overhead. After coming across several hills, you finally see the one that you have been looking for up ahead. A pair of statues, representations of the sphinx, flank a stone-set entrance into the hill face. The entrance is 10 ft wide, and on the south-eastern face of the hill, casting the lair into shadows and darkness.

Mechanics: As there might be something inside I'm not assuming any of you go into darkvision range of the interior yet. I'm instead giving you a day to post any buffs or preventative cleverness you want to perform.

VenomTongue
2016-10-14, 12:25 PM
I have one more question for the sphinx.
Great Ujaset, is your horde hidden in your lair? Also can you describe the leader of the kobolds?

JBarca
2016-10-14, 01:06 PM
Still mentally berating himself for being too slow witted to answer a single riddle - A Kobold! Your god would be ashamed, Hemlien... Riddles are the oldest of jokes, the first pranks. Perhaps an Atonement is in order? - Hemlien halts with his companions near the entrance.

"Well, here we are? Shall I light the way with Mount Celestia's glory, or would one of you rather carry a torch?"

VenomTongue
2016-10-14, 01:27 PM
Yes cast light. Try to leave one alive for questioning.
I ready my longsword.

Zaydos
2016-10-16, 12:13 PM
Approaching the entrance to the cavern the light shows you the remnants of a camp fire within its heart, a large one, bones of some leonine creatures scattered about, a human-esque head, with a face you recognize from the ghostly sphinx sits near the campfire, insults carved into the flesh in draconic characters. Half of the skeleton, half of the sphinx, is still intact, the flesh hacked with knives. In some places half-eaten, cooked meat can be found about the fire. No kobolds, however, and no treasure, unless they are hidden behind one of the scattered rocks in the cavern. It's too large to see clearly with just the light of Hemlein's spell, though Kiriih's eyes penetrate the darkness further, able to pick up the colors of the mosaic on the walls, old and faded paintings now. Suddenly Sammy lets out a loud squawk!

In the half-darkness between you and the walls, behind a stone, there's a shape that looks vaguely like a tail and a foot that sticks out from behind.

Your shadow-piercing eyes easily make out the tail and foot of a kobold behind a rock in the corner of the lair, its hand on the other side, all three trembling lightly.

VenomTongue
2016-10-16, 02:01 PM
I move to attack dealing subdual.
[roll0]
[roll1]

JBarca
2016-10-16, 04:10 PM
Hemlien nods and casts Light of Lunia on himself. A silvery glow emanates from his person, lighting up the area around him.

He then looks more than a little startled as one of his companions moves froward to attack... a cave entrance?

Zaydos
2016-10-16, 06:26 PM
A conk on the head renders the kobold unconscious with a small cry of pain. It will be some time before it wakes up.

VenomTongue
2016-10-17, 10:00 AM
I tie it up. Since I have time I take 20. If taking 20 isn't allowed I am going to roll.
Use Rope: [roll0]
Then I search the Kobold and the cavern, taking 20 both times if possible.
Search Kobold [roll1]
Search Cavern [roll2]

JBarca
2016-10-17, 04:07 PM
Hemlien opens his mouth, then closes it, trying to decide what to say.

"Right. Uh, Thomas? Nicely done there, but what do you intend to do with the poor fellow now that you've hogtied him? I suggest that we move on and free our new four-legged friend sooner rather than later. We do have a world to save, after all!"

VenomTongue
2016-10-17, 04:22 PM
Umm... We were contracted by an unnatural spectre to get revenge on the kobolds who killed it. KOBOLDS, as in plural. Also do you see a magnificent treasure horde around here that seems fitting of a big ass flying lion man? I don't. So I figure we offer this guy his life in exchange for his compatriots, maybe actually convince him to fight with us. Kill those responsible, him too if he was involved in the actual murder, collect afformented treasure horde, and any other ill-gotten gains, then we be on our merry way, a bit richer, and having sent an irritating ghost on to the great beyond.
Think about it. We get to avenge a murdered lion-bird-man, trick a bunch of Tiamet worshipping lizard creatures, and we get a "horde of treasure."

JBarca
2016-10-17, 04:40 PM
"I don't think we need to kill these creatures. We were told we'd 'need' to, meaning, most likely, that he thought they would bar our entry. I for one, won't stand by while you murder this Kobold in cold blood. Either way, though, I suppose we should rouse him and see what he knows?"

Hemlien leans over, and barring any arguments by the party, gives the little guy a bit of a jolt.

Casting Cure Light Wounds.

[roll0]

bcool999
2016-10-17, 05:05 PM
Zack

"Mama, papa stop fighting! You're tearing this family apart!" Zack says standing between Hemlien and Thomas dramatically before chuckling and crouching by the bound kobold giving him a couple of light slaps to help in waking him before giving a traditional draconic questioning.

"Worm! Answer my questions and I might not eat you."

Zaydos
2016-10-17, 05:09 PM
The kobold, still playing possum is slapped and its eyes flutter open. It begins screeching in a dialect of Draconic, heavily truncated, and apparently lacking in pronouns, but still recognizable as such although a true dragon would almost certainly claim it was a different language.

"Wha wan no?"

bcool999
2016-10-17, 06:00 PM
Zack

Feeling a headache coming on already after hearing almost half a sentence from the kobold, Zack tries to be quick with his questioning.
"Where are the other Kobolds, how many are there, and what did you take from the cave here?"

Zaydos
2016-10-17, 06:43 PM
"Fa sunbirth, m'nym'nym'ny, pow'rful weapons."

bcool999
2016-10-17, 06:58 PM
Zack

"If the others went East, why are you still here? Before answering, remember how easily you were knocked out, and how easy it would have been for you to never wake up."

Anyone with social skills, please help!
Intimidate: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

Zaydos
2016-10-17, 07:08 PM
"Wok late, 'lone."

It was lying, lying, lying with the last bit.

bcool999
2016-10-17, 07:20 PM
Zack

"I see, I see." Zack says, rubbing his chin in thought before an angry flash leaves his eyes and his fist flies out slamming into the ground next to the Kobold's head.

"Try again without the lies."

Damage: [roll0] to the ground next to the kobold.
New intimidate with possible circumstance bonus!: [roll1]

Zaydos
2016-10-17, 08:16 PM
As Tsutsui glares over Zach's shoulder, the kobold swallows hard and begins speaking in draconic once more, turning its reptilian eyes up pitifully.

"Sunbirth trewf, sunbirth left of sunbirth. Fah no, 'bout three ones suptimes walk. M'ny warmakers, one ten and six ones. Coll'ct'd all shinies. Ate well. No kill?"

bcool999
2016-10-17, 08:26 PM
Zack

"Better... now the truth about why you came back."

After the creature answers, Zack shares what he has learned with the others, the Kobolds are not far from here to the northeast and number around 16, they also collected the sphinx's treasure.

Zaydos
2016-10-17, 08:28 PM
"No bak go! Wake lone!"

bcool999
2016-10-17, 09:19 PM
Zack

"Well that's all I got." Zack says after sharing with the group what he found out. "Maybe Thomas can track them to help us close in faster. Sixteen Kobolds must leave quite a trail. Did you find anything on your search of the cave Tom?"

After that he steps away from the Kobold leaving it tied and it's fate in the hands of the others.

VenomTongue
2016-10-17, 11:38 PM
There is something carved in this corpse. I can track those guys. Shouldn't be too hard.

JBarca
2016-10-17, 11:43 PM
Hemlien shakes his head.

"Well, let's get this over with, I suppose. Let's untie our friend here and be on our way, yes?"

bcool999
2016-10-18, 12:13 AM
Zack

Glancing over at the carvings, Zack shakes his head and explains, "The Kobold's grasp of the draconic language is... questionable at best. Save for where it comes to profanities if those carvings are any indication."

VenomTongue
2016-10-18, 12:37 AM
He could still be useful. Ask him about the kobolds we're searching for. Are any of them spellcasters? Does their leader have a name? Do they live in a valley of endless shadow?