PDA

View Full Version : EK Warlock multi?

SMac8988
2016-09-09, 09:31 PM
So I was planning a back up character if my current would pass from this world. And was wondering how evryone feels about a eldrich knight warlock multi class.

My idea would be to go bladelock, and focusing on dex based combat with a shield. I figured I could use the blade pact weapon for the ability to summon my weapon and then link my shield to my EK abilities.

Going tiefling and running the darkness vision thing with booming blade and all that jazz.

Would this be a decent idea? Or would going pure lock be better?

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 09:38 PM
Fighter/Warlock is definately viable. Taking EK would allow you to pick up shield and absorb elements, which are both gravy to a melee build. A level 7 EK/Warlock can do a single melee attack and EB, which would probably be better suited to an archer, since EB is ranged.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-09, 09:39 PM
Hmm... there's not a lot of synergy that really jumps out at me... I guess you could use War Magic to do a bow-plus-blast, but otherwise...eh? If you go far enough into EK to get anything worthwhile you'll get extra attack from there, so you might as well go Pact of the Tome or something on the Warlock side. What, exactly, are you looking for out of the build?

MeeposFire
2016-09-09, 09:46 PM
Fighter/Warlock is definately viable. Taking EK would allow you to pick up shield and absorb elements, which are both gravy to a melee build. A level 7 EK/Warlock can do a single melee attack and EB, which would probably be better suited to an archer, since EB is ranged.

If you do want melee take the crossbow expert feat and you can use EB in melee with no problems.

A good continuation is to go rogue which will increase your damage on your single weapon attack and give you some nice utility and defensive abilities as well.

Fighter7or8/warlock2/rogue12or13.

Specter
2016-09-09, 10:42 PM
If you have the Charisma, okay.

As was said, only go Blade pact if you'll take at max 4 of one of those classes, otherwise Extra Attack would stack. Otherwise, Hex and War Magic work nicely. At level 8, (assuming Fighter 7/Warlock 1, which may not be the case), you'd get 3d8+2d6+(DEXx2)+rider effect, which is very nice. If Lock is your primary concern, you still get Shield and Abs. Elements to be in the battlefield longer.

Corran
2016-09-09, 11:15 PM
My idea would be to go bladelock, and focusing on dex based combat with a shield. I figured I could use the blade pact weapon for the ability to summon my weapon and then link my shield to my EK abilities.

Going tiefling and running the darkness vision thing with booming blade and all that jazz.

I mean, if being able to summon both your shield and your sword out of nowhere is that a big deal to you (I'll admit it's pretty cool), I dont think EK adds a lot to the mix (given how you dont really need that starting fighting level as opposed to most bladelocks, since you are going dex based). I could see the EK dip being useful, if you decided to go up to level 7 for warmagic, though that is a big dip and it delays significantly your warlock spellcasting (and does free one invocation to be used somewhere else other than thirsting blade, but in truth this whole multiclass tends to work better for ranged EK/locks).

Personally, I would go with a dip in rogue (at least 2 levels instead). This way, I wouldnt be able to summon my shield (so ignore this suggestion if that really matters to you), but you would be able to run ''the darkness vision thing with booming blade and all that jazz'' even better (insert cunning action hide before you moce away -you provoke no OA sincethe enemies cannot see you). Attack with advantage (as before), move around without provoking OA's and probably force them to move in order to proc the BB's secondary damage (as before), but now also you can hide with your bonus action, so the enemies must guess at your location if your stealth check (expertise from rogue) beats the enemies' passive perception.

ps: Be aware, the darkness combo can sometimes hinder teamplay. It is a nice trick, but if you go for it, make sure it is your back up tactics and not sth you spam, it can get old very easily.

SMac8988
2016-09-10, 05:49 AM
I mean, if being able to summon both your shield and your sword out of nowhere is that a big deal to you (I'll admit it's pretty cool), I dont think EK adds a lot to the mix (given how you dont really need that starting fighting level as opposed to most bladelocks, since you are going dex based). I could see the EK dip being useful, if you decided to go up to level 7 for warmagic, though that is a big dip and it delays significantly your warlock spellcasting (and does free one invocation to be used somewhere else other than thirsting blade, but in truth this whole multiclass tends to work better for ranged EK/locks).

Personally, I would go with a dip in rogue (at least 2 levels instead). This way, I wouldnt be able to summon my shield (so ignore this suggestion if that really matters to you), but you would be able to run ''the darkness vision thing with booming blade and all that jazz'' even better (insert cunning action hide before you moce away -you provoke no OA sincethe enemies cannot see you). Attack with advantage (as before), move around without provoking OA's and probably force them to move in order to proc the BB's secondary damage (as before), but now also you can hide with your bonus action, so the enemies must guess at your location if your stealth check (expertise from rogue) beats the enemies' passive perception.

ps: Be aware, the darkness combo can sometimes hinder teamplay. It is a nice trick, but if you go for it, make sure it is your back up tactics and not sth you spam, it can get old very easily.

I was thinking swashbuckler instead of the EK, but thought the summon both weapon and shield was a cool idea. I haven't ever really look far into EK to see their spells or what all they can do honestly. My main focus would be warlock levels.

I also saw a build with oath breaker levels, which I could see being a lot of fun.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-10, 06:59 AM
I was thinking swashbuckler instead of the EK, but thought the summon both weapon and shield was a cool idea. I haven't ever really look far into EK to see their spells or what all they can do honestly. My main focus would be warlock levels.

I also saw a build with oath breaker levels, which I could see being a lot of fun.

EK's can actually have more than 1 weapon summoned at a time just have to summon them individually. As for the Warlock thing. You could totally wield a greatsword, make your two attacks, then summon your shield. Dismissing it is a free action, so you can repeat. Your opportunity attacks would be weak, 1d4 improvised weapons but other than that you are trading your bonus action for plus 2 ac.

Giant2005
2016-09-10, 07:06 AM
EK/Warlocks are great. Well actually, EK/Warlock/Rogue is great.
Follow up your EB with a Sneak enhanced Heavy Crossbow shot and you end upw ith one of the highest DPR combinations in the game. It is rich in utility and has a smoother than pure, progression curve too.

SMac8988
2016-09-10, 07:13 AM
I also thought EK could be good if I decide to go full plate heavy armor and away from the sword and shield route. Gets con saves and I could pick up war caster to be sure my skills don't fail

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-10, 08:21 AM
If you're going to focus on Booming Blade, than you probably don't want Bladelock-- the main attraction there is extra attack, which is imcombatible with the melee cantrips. Go Tomelock instead and take Shillelagh; that way you can reduce MADness. If you want the weapon summoning, the EK ability is flat-out superior, and gives you two weapons to play with.

Elminster298
2016-09-10, 08:29 AM
In one of the games I am currently playing in I am running a strength EK/Bladelock build. Overall build is EK 8/Bladelock 12. Bladelock weapon is a great sword and EK weapons are have kind. I play the character very much like Ironman from the movies using crossbow expert and warcaster to stay in melee while repelling blast enemies. I do agree that your character concept is based around a lot of cheese. That's not necessarily a bad thing but in my personal experience, those types of characters get boring before you ever reach your full potential.

Citan
2016-09-10, 04:31 PM
So I was planning a back up character if my current would pass from this world. And was wondering how evryone feels about a eldrich knight warlock multi class.

Hi!
The multiclass in itself is very viable. I'm just a bit puzzled about going Bladelock, because...
1) Extra Attack is wasted on Bladelock (although, it's true you have no obligation of taking specifically this invocation, so not a real problem).
2) You would need Bladelock 12 to get a true benefit from the Pact.

Because the EK can bound 2 weapons, so I don't see any (mechanical) benefit to the Blade pact here unless I missed something.

As for the more general EK/Warlock multiclass, yes it can be great.
I would say that the "Warlock stop" mainly depends on what you want to use the short rest spell slots for.
1st levels: Shield, Magic Missile, Hex, Armor of Agathys, Hellish Rebuke...
2nd level slots: perfect for Mirror Image / Blur, or Darkness, Blindness (high level), Armor of Agathys, Scorching Ray, Shatter.
3nd level slots: Haste or Fly, Slow, Counterspell, Fireball, good bump for Armor of Agathys.
Basically you use the short rest slots to make your preferred tactic available in most encounters of the day, as opposed to "only for 1-2 encounters for the day".

Fighter 11 is the strict minimum though in anyways, and I'd say that grabbing Fighter 14 for a few 3rd level "any school" spells (Haste, Fireball, Bestow Curse, Slow) is too good to pass unless you really know what you are doing.
So it would be either EK 15 / Warlock 5 (for Arcane Charge, teleport on action surge) or EK 14 / Warlock 6 (for Patron feature).
Both are good choices.

Anyways, I'd level up Fighter first, up to lvl 5-6, then I'd go Warlock 3 for invocation, pact and spells with lvl 2 slots, then Fighter 11 ASAP, then finish how you want.

Two drawbacks to this build.
1. You will probably want to dump INT, but it will heavily restrict spell choices for Fighter since most offensive spells will be too unreliable.
Or, you make the opposite choice, bumping INT, but you still have to get at least 13 CHA so it makes you MAD. If you can afford it, it's actually a sound choice if you don't care about Eldricht Blast: you have enough buffs in Warlock that don't depend on CHA to make you happy. And it makes room for INT to get several great evocation spells.
And if you go this way, you could also take Tome Pact to get Shillelagh and make a PAM build.

Anyways, you have to choose one casting stat and stick with it.

2. You will feel "online" probably a tad late, although it depends on your end goal.