PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Fun Captain America Build

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 10:13 PM
I'm starting to spam these now, finding it fun. Same rules as before, making Captain America this time with standard point buy, AL legal content only.

Classes: Paladin (Crown) 17/Fighter (EK) 3

Stats: 15, 8, 14, 8, 10, 15
Race: V Human bumping str and cha. Inspiring Leader as feat.

I'm really trying to embrace the leader aspect of the character, so I'd go with crown paladin. Fighter EK can allow you to toss your shield and bonus action return it to you. EK also makes your shield a magic weapon, something you are unlikely to find, unless your DM is really nice. You could also refluff the shield spell as him ducking behind his physical shield for full cover, and thus unable to do opportunity attacks after using reaction.

I'd bump cha then maybe pick up sentinel (although it can conflict with shield spell for reaction), and finish w str. Should be able to pick up your choice of two out of the three fighting styles: defense, duelist, and protection (although be wary again of reaction competition). Focus on being a sticky tank(via sentinel and Champion Challenge) that can buff and inspire the team from the front. All your allies you will have a big bonus to health pool, 25 temp hp for the team before fights. Aim to keep the squishies 30 ft+ away from you and avoid them taking any aggro via your challenge. Allies near you on the other hand will be immune to fear, and have +5 to all saves. Divine allegiance helps make the most out of temporary hps, since you will most likely have more of yours left over due to your high AC, you can take a hit for a friend (but reaction AGAIN).

The damage output might not be amazing, [1d4+1d8+7+smite] x2 but the Cap is all about team support, don't forget he'll have 5th level paladin spells too.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-09, 10:34 PM
It seems to me like Cap is a full Battlemaster with a magic Shield of Returning. Spot on with the Inspiring Leader feat, though.

MasterMercury
2016-09-09, 10:42 PM
Great threads, I've always liked using superheroes to give players an idea of what classes are like. Batman: ranger, favored enemy: all

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 11:06 PM
It seems to me like Cap is a full Battlemaster with a magic Shield of Returning. Spot on with the Inspiring Leader feat, though.

Trying to build these superheroes, its tempting to not give them all Battlemaster because they all do "moves." Its what makes the panels/movies interesting. Just my opinion that the leader support role is the more important aspect of the character.

You are totally right about the shield of returning, but I was trying to make each of these builds independent of magic items, so you could just decide to play them without the DM having to give you special items.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 11:08 PM
I'm enjoying this so I'll make some more...

Hawkeye/Green Arrow

Ranger 20 /end. :smallbiggrin:

I'll make some more heroes, or maybe villians...

Sigreid
2016-09-09, 11:16 PM
I'm enjoying this so I'll make some more...

Hawkeye/Green Arrow

Ranger 20 /end. :smallbiggrin:

I'll make some more heroes, or maybe villians...

Hawkeye is some battlemaster/monk IMO with a demonstrated ability to make phenomenal shots, exceptional tactical ability, and excellent hand to hand skills, including the ability to catch projectiles and shoot them back at his attacker.

Captain America also has some monk given his exceptional speed and hand to hand combat abilities. He's way beyond tavern brawler.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 11:29 PM
Hawkeye is some battlemaster/monk IMO with a demonstrated ability to make phenomenal shots, exceptional tactical ability, and excellent hand to hand skills, including the ability to catch projectiles and shoot them back at his attacker.

Captain America also has some monk given his exceptional speed and hand to hand combat abilities. He's way beyond tavern brawler.

True, I could do a real one for hawkeye... as for the Cap... I hear you, but there is just too much to fit in a lot of these characters and still make it a viable build.

Sigreid
2016-09-09, 11:35 PM
True, I could do a real one for hawkeye... as for the Cap... I hear you, but there is just too much to fit in a lot of these characters and still make it a viable build.

Cap could also work as a barbarian with his rage re-fluffed as engaging his over developed sense of justice and determination. Really, the key features of Cap aren't his martial skills, this superior physic or even his shield. His defining feature is that he's the good guy who never ever quits. Even when he should be soundly beaten.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 11:42 PM
Cap could also work as a barbarian with his rage re-fluffed as engaging his over developed sense of justice and determination. Really, the key features of Cap aren't his martial skills, this superior physic or even his shield. His defining feature is that he's the good guy who never ever quits. Even when he should be soundly beaten.

That's what made me go with paladin. He is classic Lawful Stupid paladin.

ES Curse
2016-09-10, 12:05 AM
Tavern Brawler for sure. Cap's unarmed moves are viable, but still not strong enough to be a primary weapon ala Hulk. Some ideas for the Avengers as a whole:
-Captain America: Strangely enough, I think Valor Bard with the Tavern Brawler feat really captures the "combat leader" archetype well.
-Iron Man: One thing that makes Iron Man hard to run in D&D is his power source: Most D&D characters are measured by their innate abilities, not their equipment. In Iron Man's case, you have to represent his suit, either through refluffing class features or in the actual race, splitting his time between human form and his "suit". Since so many people have different views on exactly how he translates, I'm not touching this.
-Thor: Paladin 2/Storm Sorcerer X. As a bonus, your Charisma is as high as you'd expect for an Asgardian noble. You might even want to represent his divine heritage as an Aasimar.
-Hawkeye: Battlemaster Fighter (Archer) all the way! Hawkeye doesn't explicitly have powers, but finds really inventive ways to fight with his bow. You might want to take a few Rouge levels for Sneak Attack and Expertise (Acrobatics) though.
-Hulk: While the change isn't as extreme as it ought to be, Barbarian is a natural fit for The Incredible Hulk. Depending on what you're willing to sacrifice in the transition to 5e, your best bets are V.Human Barbearian or Duergar Monk.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-10, 07:02 PM
That's what made me go with paladin. He is classic Lawful Stupid paladin.

Stop right there, citizen! Following the law and upholding the good is never "stupid"!

Aardvarksanvich
2020-02-25, 11:24 PM
I had found a Eldrich Knight Captain America build on here a while back and I can not find it anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction?

clash
2020-02-25, 11:39 PM
Sun soul monk makes a very good iron man other than missing the flight. His suit is unarmored defense. He just is never without it. Improved unarmed strikes, plus the added features from sun soul make up his basic arsenal.