PDA

View Full Version : Idly thinking about possibly DMing a PBP game here on giant itp...

Draconi Redfir
2016-09-10, 12:26 AM
but I知 not really sure.

I've had a very basic idea for a custom campaign for a couple of years now, nothing written in stone outside a few major plot points that will hopefully come up one way or another. I'm just... not really sure if I知 ready for it or not.

I've DMed one group of people once before with some help from a few other DM's, but this was in a live game, where a good half the party eventually had to drop out due to time restrictions, I壇 imagine that play by-post games would be easier for a writer like me due to a heavier reliance on text and the ability to take your time with posts right? Can any DM's confirm/deny?

Just not sure if i want to go through with the idea or not, and I知 looking for some input and advice from more experienced DM's. Are play by posts any easier to write for? what would you recommend for newcomers to the craft? any tips or general advice?

Illven
2016-09-10, 03:01 AM
but I知 not really sure.

I've had a very basic idea for a custom campaign for a couple of years now, nothing written in stone outside a few major plot points that will hopefully come up one way or another. I'm just... not really sure if I知 ready for it or not.

I've DMed one group of people once before with some help from a few other DM's, but this was in a live game, where a good half the party eventually had to drop out due to time restrictions, I壇 imagine that play by-post games would be easier for a writer like me due to a heavier reliance on text and the ability to take your time with posts right? Can any DM's confirm/deny?

Just not sure if i want to go through with the idea or not, and I知 looking for some input and advice from more experienced DM's. Are play by posts any easier to write for? what would you recommend for newcomers to the craft? any tips or general advice?

They are easier if you're not good at improv. They are easier if you have less then perfect rules grasp. (Can always take the time to look up the right rules)

However pbp's are notorious for dying easy. You are going to need to have a dedicated group of friends, constantly re-recruit, or get exceptionally lucky to have a pbp last.

Draconi Redfir
2016-09-17, 10:46 AM
if it's okay, i'm gunna bump this thread just once as i could still use some input on this thing.

TheDerpyAlicorn
2016-09-17, 08:06 PM
PBPs require more to keep them going and on track. At the table, an awkward pause fills the air and so someone says something and everything rolls again, but on pbp an awkward pause lingers for eternity.

Thus you need to bear this in mind. Either be good at stimulating players to respond and drive the story forward, have players that do that, or have a larger party (more posters give each poster more to respond to, thus more likely to respond and less likely to see the game die).

Certainly none of those ae perfect, but they all help.

Don't the let "larger party" scare you. PBP gives you plenty of time to handle things, so larger parties are much easier to handle than around the table. That said, it does compound the PBP issue with initiative, but since it is wise to forgoe tt initiative mechanics whenever possible anyway (in my opinion), you can take a large as an additional reason to use a pbp friendly initiative system.