PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying The cast of KonoSuba as D&D 5e Classes

Sabeta
2016-09-10, 01:47 AM
In an upcoming campaign that I intend to run there are going to be several "Rival" parties all working towards the same objective. It's sort of a way for me to break out as many interesting character concepts as I can without actually playing them in a game. Roughly half of these groups will start off with a very clear advantage over the PCs, and at least one of them will be extremely optimized. For those unfamiliar with KonoSuba, or anime in general it is an "Isekai" story, or "Another World". Typically, the protagonist finds himself trapped in another world, and more often than not discovers latent magical ability and proceeds to solo the world all while building a harem of trope-filled Women.

KonoSuba does things a little bit different. When he's told that he can have ANY power up for his new life, out protagonist chooses the annoying Goddess whose sending him there.

Protagonist. He's told that he is extraordinarily average in every stat save for two. His Intelligence is above average, and his Luck is so Godly that the Adventurer's Guild clerk recommends he take a pass on Adventuring and instead become a Merchant. He's very adamant about trying to make his RPG fantasy come to life, but the people he ends up with are completely terrible. They manage to make do somehow. He ends up learning the Steal skill, but his insane Luck stat causes him to snatch panties more often than gold. He was however able to steal the legendary weapon of an Adventurer just like himself, which caused endless trouble for the other guy. His goal is to be a Gish whose well-rounded nature balances out his crappy party.

Aqua the Goddess. She's listed as having a perfect score in every stat except two. Her Intelligence is below average, and her Luck is abysmal. She ends up accepting the Arc Bishop Job (She is a Goddess after all, she fills her own Divine powers), and she's just charming and charismatic enough to get away with being stupid. Unfortunately she spends all of her skill points on useless party tricks like "Create Water", but does have a limited reserve of useful skills like Turn Undead. She usually forgets that those abilities exist though, and spends more time running from enemies than fighting them.

Megumin the Crimson Demon. Below average in most stats but an extremely high Intelligence score. She's an Arc Wizard, which is supposedly very high levelled and extraordinarily powerful. Megumin however is completely dedicated to a single spell. "Explosion", which is far beyond her ability to cast. Despite that, she spent every skill point she had learning it, but at the cost of other important stats like HP and MP. As a result, she is allowed to cast Explosion once a day, but collapses afterwords.

Darkness the Paladin. She put so many points into her defensive ability that she forgot to put any into Attack. She is literally incapable of hitting her target even if they're standing still. Despite that, she can take one hell of a beating. Oh, and did I mention she's a Masochist who looooves pain? She pretends to have a noble heart and will do anything to protect the people, but once the fight starts all she can think about is putting herself into harm's way.

So here's how I see these characters.

MC @ Bard
10 STR
10 DEX
10 CON
14 INT
08 CHA

He's a Human, but I'm giving him Halfling's Luck and the Lucky Feat. Since he mostly uses weak magic to suplement a melee fighting style I feel like Bard might be the best fit for him, even if his low Charisma makes him unsuited for the role. Arcane Trickster might work just as well or perhaps even better. He'll also have the Steal Skill. If he uses it it will take any female party members undergarments. However, if he focuses his mind on the task he can also steal any Rare Item the party is carrying. The range for this is 10 feet.

Aqua @ Cleric
20 STR
20 DEX
20 CON
08 INT
20 CHA

Yes she has great stats. Stats like that only befits a literal Goddess, and Cleric seems the best fit for spells like Turn Undead. Despite having incredible stats she's a coward and cares more about appearances than fighting. So most of her spells will be useless or are otherwise designed to be interesting for parties. I don't know how to quantify bad luck, but I suppose forcing her to "Confirm Crit" like in the good old days might work.

Megumin @ Wizard
08 STR
10 DEX
10 CON
18 INT
10 CHA

This character is going to be a lot of fun to me, but she's also the hardest one to balance. Megumin has a single 9th level Spell Slot, and a single Spell Known in the form of Fireball. However, because the spell is so far above her level she must spend several rounds concentrating in order to cast it. Basically, she starts at the spell-slot level she SHOULD have, and then charges it up each round to reach level 9. Since she needs to concentrate on it I'll cut the time in half, rounded up. (So at 5th level she'll need 3 rounds to cast the spell). Once she does so her HP drops to 0 and she suffers from one level of exhaustion.

Darkness @ Paladin
14 STR
10 DEX
20 CON
10 INT
12 CHA

Darkness' attacks always miss. It doesn't matter what form the attack takes, be it a grapple, a smite, a spell, or a simple sword swing. However, she passively has Barbarian's Rage feature (The resistance to everything part) and imposes disadvantage on attacks made against allies within 5 feet of her.

My main concern is Megumin. Should my party end up squaring off against them ("PvP" will be allowed) she has the potential to just TPK even fairly well levelled parties. I'll make sure that the callouts are as obvious as can be so that they try and focus fire her, but at the same time I want her to be able to demonstrate that fearsome power. Perhaps my parties introduction to them can start off with them engaging a boss. (I should mention that my campaign is going to start as an Isekai story, where everyone starts at level 0 and then picks their classes at a group once they reach an Adventurer's Guild)

This is mostly just an idea. Thoughts, comments, concerns, or improvements are welcome. If you have other party concepts you think would be fun to run as light-hearted antagonists feel free to share those too.
https://fictionrealm.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/konosuba-op.png
I partly made this thread because of how many Rules and "What should I play" threads there are.

NNescio
2016-09-10, 06:36 AM
Fireball? Pish, Meteor Swarm is the only spell worth casting. It even comes with a 1 mile casting range, enough for all your castle-sieging (read: target practice) needs!

Alternatively, try Delayed Blast Fireball, since it takes several rounds to charge up to full damage. Range is kinda limited though, like Fireball.

Logosloki
2016-09-10, 07:32 AM
Megumin can cast other spells but she only wishes to cast explosion. Explosion itself even has a low power mode and she refuses to use it. The spell which mimics explosion depends on what level you want the party to be at. Obviously based on the fact that Explosion can destroy a good sized castle and the cliff it resides on it is probably somewhere in the bounds of Meteor Swarm in terms of the novels.

I suppose you could use a Sorcerer and have progression of spells to represent explosion based on level and have the Megumin character be allowed to expend all their spell points to make it land at the highest spell level, with maximum damage and the enemy can only use legendary saves to save for half. Afterwards they take several levels of exhaustion so they must be carried off the battlefield.

Kazuma has insane luck which is causing some issues with the laws of the world. What he steals is "the item that the target holds most dear to them". This is why he is able to steal Verdia's Head. Kazuma is probably best represented by a variant human lore bard with Magic Initiate who takes low level magical secrets
or a Tome lock with Magical Initiate if you are after a pure class. Kazuma though is only ever able to learn low level magic and pays twice the number of skillpoints to acquire these in the novels (which means technically he could learn explosion, it will just cost him 100 skill points to just get the skill, let alone the mana required to cast it)

Aqua is a cleric with magic initiate to get party trick spells off a wizard. Alternatively Aqua could have a Cleric Domain specific to her which is giving her the spells she needs to slack off. Since Aqua is the very essence of a cheat character, she could be presented either with a special race or a gestalt between cleric and bard.

Darkness can grapple quite fine. In fact Darkness has a very high strength stat, Darkness can break bones with her regular grip and once allowed herself to be possessed by one of the dukes of hell, who was able to bypass her bad scores to turn her into a nigh unstoppable killing machine, the only reason the party is even alive is because they were pulling their punches. I suppose a Champion Fighter with Barbarians Lust Rage could model her more simply.

QuadraticW
2016-09-11, 09:34 AM
Important thing to keep in mind is the levels. If they're really playing 5e, then probably something like

Kazuma: Starts at level one, ends at probably level 3-4 by the end of the first season.

Megumin: 10-15

Darkness: 10-15

Aqua: 99