PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous turns

trikkydik
2016-09-10, 02:21 AM
Been DMing this campaign where turns all happen at the same time. We use pretty much D&D 3.5 and any other compatible versions (expanded psionics, etc..)
So far it's been a lot of fun and I feel like the mechanics are gettin better.
Keeping track of who can do what in a given time interval is tough sometimes though.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried running D&D in a "fluid" fashion and anything that can contribute to my venture.

Thanks ahead of time.

If it helps ....
The characters are level 15 gestalted.
Psion/Monk
Wizard/rogue
Cleric/Fighter

JeenLeen
2016-09-13, 02:43 PM
I haven't. How are you currently doing it?

For example, what happens if Cleric/Fighter shoots an arrow at a goblin, but that goblin is moving to attack another PC at the same time? Does Cleric/Fighter get to re-aim, or does he miss because where he was aiming is now empty? (Or, a better example, two PCs attack the same dude. First one kills him. Does the second get to choose a different action or different target?)

I've seen rules for acting 'all at once' in White Wolf's Exalted and World of Darkness. I found the WoD (old World of Darkness) rules too time-consuming and hard to keep track of to be useful, but it did have a strong tactical and realistic feel. Basically, people declare their actions in reverse order of initiative, then act out in initiative order. Thus, those with higher initiative know what their foes plan to do (at least in vague details) and also act first. If you need to change your action, there's a penalty/cost.
We played with this for a little bit, but then decided it was too much trouble and did like normal D&D initiative.

In Exalted, there's a 'tick wheel'. Different actions take different 'ticks' (minute measures of time), and so when your next turn happens depends on your last action. I found this a good balance of simulating acting at once while not being so hard to track.