PDA

View Full Version : Converting energy damage to healing

Temennigru
2016-09-10, 04:17 AM
Is there a way of making, say, a fireball heal instead of deal damage with energy substitution shenanigans?
I'm trying to make a draconic sorcerer that can also heal.

galan
2016-09-10, 04:58 AM
Not sure about a healing fireball, but with tomb-tainted soul the sorcerer's allys could be healed from negative energy - and then either use negative energy spells, or take the feat "Lord of the Uttercold" that switches half a spells damage to negative energy and find a way to resist cold damage. Far from ideal, I know, but it is an option.

I also think there is a way from Magic of Incarnum to heal from fire damage, but I don't remember the details

Inevitability
2016-09-10, 06:04 AM
If you want to heal, perhaps summon Vivacious creatures? A vivacious giant bee flies at 60 feet a round and can heal 1d4-1 points of damage per caster level to a single target, plus another point of damage per caster level to all nearby creatures for a 3rd-level slot. At CL 5, that averages 7.5 points of healing for a single creature, plus 20 more from its aura (assuming a party of four) for a total of 27.5 points of damage healed. Compare that to Vigor, which heals 30 points of damage for that slot and CL and is considered one of the better healing spells.

An added bonus: Summon Monster has many more uses, and the division and careful distribution of health reduces the chances of wasted healing.

Fizban
2016-09-10, 06:11 AM
To the best of my knowledge, no, that goes against one of the only clear design principles of any magic and you won't find anything that does it. Damage spells deal damage, and it's only ever the target's special ability that can turn them into healing.

If you want a sorcerer that can heal, just get some healing spells. Light of Venya managed to slip though and does reasonable amount for the level. Otherwise use method of choice to grab spells from off-list, there are admittedly few and healing is one of the hardest to get so good luck.

ShurikVch
2016-09-10, 02:07 PM
How about the Spontaneous Healer feat? (With Spell Thematics - if you want it to be more energy-like)

Also, Spellfire Wielder allow to heal (living, undead, and even warforged equally)

The Viscount
2016-09-10, 02:09 PM
If there's a cleric or druid in the party, they can buff them with Energetic Healing, which turns damage of 1 energy type into healing but it's pretty poor at it.

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-10, 02:56 PM
There is a feat in the back of dragon compendium that allows you put the blood leech template on your spells. Also there's Eldridge corruption from Heroes of Horror and magic of the land from a source I don't remember right now.

Big Fau
2016-09-10, 03:59 PM
Binding the Pheonix Belt soulmeld to your Waist chakra (see Magic of Incarnum) gives you Fast Healing X whenever you successfully resist fire damage with Fire Resistance (oddly though it doesn't apply to fire immunity).

Temennigru
2016-09-10, 10:30 PM
I was also thinking about going the other way around. Getting full healer class and getting dragontouched to get draconic heritage feats to convert spell slots into damage affects. Problem is, that only works with arcane spells....

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-10, 10:41 PM
I was also thinking about going the other way around. Getting full healer class and getting dragontouched to get draconic heritage feats to convert spell slots into damage affects. Problem is, that only works with arcane spells....

Isn't there a feat that makes your spells switch from one to the other? Southern Magician! You max out on only being able to do it once a day per 2 levels...

Thurbane
2016-09-10, 10:48 PM
There's a feat in RotW that allows spells to heal 2 points/spell level to targets. Might be better with spells like Haste. Requires the spell to be cast in a natural environment and a Knowledge (nature) check. May need Knowledge Devotion or similar to get it on the Sorcerer's class skill list.

If you go Tomb Tainted soul option as above, there's a negative energy ray spell in Tome and Blood.

trikkydik
2016-09-11, 01:27 AM
ENERGY CONVERSION is a psion power that absorbs up to 30 points of sonic, acid, fire, lightning, or ice damage and stores it for later discharge. There has to be something that absorbs damage and turns it into healing.

Name1
2016-09-11, 01:33 AM
...If you have energy substitution, you can Shapechange into a Shambeling Mound. It's not really healing, but it gives you 1d4 CON everytime you would normally take electricity damage.

Rebel7284
2016-09-11, 03:04 AM
If you're a Mechantrix, you heal with Lightning. So you only need energy substitution on your Fireballs. +1 LA Plantetouched as I recall.