PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for: the Swamp Domain

ZhanStrider
2016-09-10, 06:45 AM
Making a cleric/paladin of a nature God who lives in a swamp. Suggestions for spells and the domain power for a "Swamp" domain? I want it to be distinct from the Plant domain, but can be similar.

eggynack
2016-09-10, 07:26 AM
I'd just go with a kinda melding of water, plant, and maybe earth, because I think that captures the essence of swamps. For some specific options, you definitely want swamp stride, because swamp is in the title. I like the idea of vine mine, or maybe poison vine, depending on how you want to play it. The spell sink feels kinda suited as well, particularly because that's basically the ability of a bog imp. Actually, if you go with the poison vine and sink route, you can get a somewhat darker plant/water feel, and then add drown to back it up. That all lines up weirdly nicely, because you wind up with a third, a fourth, a fifth, and a sixth. Next, for the seventh, let's go really deep, into stormwrack, and pick up dark tide. That feels close to perfect, I think, getting into that swampy idea of water that kills you. I feel like I'm going a bit heavy on the water element, so for the first level spell, perhaps a classic entangle, pulled from the mostly unused plant domain, because it feels right almost in spite of how classic it is.

So, all we're left with is second, eighth, and ninth. For the second, I think the best option is kelpstrand. You might want to swap out the ocean bonus for a swamp bonus, but otherwise you get a really nice combination of plant, water, and slowing creatures down. For the eighth, I might have gone a bit far on this element already, with both this and dark tide, but red tide could work. Maybe you could swap out dark tide for a less evil variant (meaning that you don't call out folks for using it) of death by thorns. Dark tide is probably a better fit than red tide though. I'm inclined to think that you should swap red tide for something, and then consider making the 9th doom of the seas. If the 8th slot is open after that, then I kinda like horrid wilting or earthquake, though neither is a perfect fit. Could be something I'm missing for the less perfect slots. As one other alternative suggestion, mudslide at 6th instead of drown would make a lot of sense too. It'd pull back in some of that earth theme that I was talking about at the beginning, except with the water and immobility still worked in. I didn't get as much plantiness in there as you were thinking, but you can always add the plants back in somewhere. I also tend to associate swamps with heat, but I'm not sure if you need that fit in anywhere.

Name1
2016-09-10, 07:51 AM
There is a level 7 Druid spell called Swamp Lung, if it matters.

TerrickTerran
2016-09-10, 08:15 AM
If it's for 3.5, take PF's Swamp Domain, retrofit a few things and it could work.

Way back in time, on the Wizards website, they did a Jungle Domain that could also offer some inspiration.

eggynack
2016-09-10, 08:18 AM
There is a level 7 Druid spell called Swamp Lung, if it matters.
Yeah, forgot that one because of its mediocrity, but it makes sense, though I really do like dark tide in that slot. One cool thing about that slotting is that, because swamp lung is so similar to drown, it enables you to swap mudslide in as the new 6th without losing much overall flavor. Not sure how much it matters how bad swamp lung is. It's like a worse version of baleful polymorph that also takes up a higher level slot. Theme is always more important for domains though.

Edit:
If it's for 3.5, take PF's Swamp Domain, retrofit a few things and it could work.

Ooh, yeah, forgot about insect stuff. There should definitely be at least one spell relating to insects and swarms hiding around there somewhere. Summon swarm is an obvious choice that could take up what is currently the kelpstrand slot. There're obviously other choices for swarm spells, however.

Inevitability
2016-09-10, 09:41 AM
Magic of the Wetlands (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a) has four swamp-related spells, and none of them are on the cleric list.

ShurikVch
2016-09-10, 10:51 AM
Semuanya (Complete Divine) - the only swamps deity I'm aware of - have Animal, Plant, and Water domains

remetagross
2016-09-10, 11:57 AM
Insect Plague fits nicely too, I think. However, the fourth and fifht spell slots are already taken.

For the granted power, why not a Water Walk effect that works 1 round per cleric level per day, those rounds not being continous ? And the effect would trigger at the cleric's behest, rather than automatically when the cleric gets underwater.
As Water Walk is nowhere near as powerful as Freedom of Movement, and as the Travel Domain grants almost the same ability with said Freedom of Movement, we could even out the chances by making the effect last 2 rounds by cleric level.

Opinion ?

Hiro Quester
2016-09-10, 12:06 PM
Transmute rock to mud might be a good fit in there. Make things swampy that are not already

Seconding kelpstrand. Great idea.

Red tide at 8th is an awesome combination (everyone is knocked prone, fort save vs nauseated for a minute, and 2d6 strength damage).

Animate plants might be a good spell for 7th level.

And mudslide at 6th is an awesome spell for trapping enemies over a decent area.

For 9th, tidal wave might be a good addition.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-10, 04:03 PM
I keep having thoughts about domain abilities.

A swampy equivalent of a druid's woodland stride ability, that functions in swamps, would be a good idea. Swampy areas that impede others don't impede you.

Perhaps the ability to rebuke plants like a cleric might be useful, too.

ZhanStrider
2016-09-10, 05:39 PM
Transmute rock to mud might be a good fit in there. Make things swampy that are not already

Seconding kelpstrand. Great idea.

Red tide at 8th is an awesome combination (everyone is knocked prone, fort save vs nauseated for a minute, and 2d6 strength damage).

Animate plants might be a good spell for 7th level.

And mudslide at 6th is an awesome spell for trapping enemies over a decent area.

For 9th, tidal wave might be a good addition.

I dig this

ZhanStrider
2016-09-10, 05:41 PM
I keep having thoughts about domain abilities.

A swampy equivalent of a druid's woodland stride ability, that functions in swamps, would be a good idea. Swampy areas that impede others don't impede you.

Perhaps the ability to rebuke plants like a cleric might be useful, too.

I was thinking the swamp stride too, but rebuke plants has been done. I was thinking rebuke SOMETHING but

ShurikVch
2016-09-10, 08:09 PM
You may just go Planar Shepherd and select some swampy plane

Zaydos
2016-09-10, 09:03 PM
Here's a potential spell list from PHB + SpC

1st: Breath of the Jungle (mist adds 2 to the DC of Disease and Poison; SpC)
2nd: Tree Shape
3rd: Plant Growth
4th: Giant Vermin
5th: Swamp Stride (as tree stride but for bodies of water, SpC)
6th: Creeping Doom (usually a 7th level druid spell, might want to replace with the 5th level Insect Plague)
7th: Swamp Lung (water fills the target's lungs, SpC)
8th: Control Plants
9th: Tsunami (giant wave, SpC)

TerrickTerran
2016-09-10, 09:31 PM
It's probably not super powerful but you could rebuke vermin.

ZhanStrider
2016-09-10, 09:45 PM

Summon swarm cha mod+3 times per day or something maybe?

Troacctid
2016-09-10, 10:36 PM
You have to have at least one fog spell. I like contagious fog from SpC, since swamps are full of diseases, but obscuring mist or fog cloud would also work.

Zaydos
2016-09-10, 10:39 PM
You have to have at least one fog spell. I like contagious fog from SpC, since swamps are full of diseases, but obscuring mist or fog cloud would also work.

I was going to put on Contagion except it was [Evil] and I dismissed Contagious Fog on the same note (going with Breath of the Jungle instead) but I will note that actually double checking it Contagious Fog unlike Contagion lacks the evil descriptor (as does the 4th level Contagious Touch).

Hiro Quester
2016-09-10, 11:00 PM
Here's a potential spell list from PHB + SpC

1st: Breath of the Jungle (mist adds 2 to the DC of Disease and Poison; SpC)
2nd: Tree Shape
3rd: Plant Growth
4th: Giant Vermin
5th: Swamp Stride (as tree stride but for bodies of water, SpC)
6th: Creeping Doom (usually a 7th level druid spell, might want to replace with the 5th level Insect Plague)
7th: Swamp Lung (water fills the target's lungs, SpC)
8th: Control Plants
9th: Tsunami (giant wave, SpC)

Control plants is nice. But it only helps with plant creatures. You don't run into those every day, depending on your swamp. Red tide might be more generally useful for just about any event.

Thurbane
2016-09-11, 05:57 AM
Mire and Mud: Spells of the Wetland (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a)

1 Fengut
5 Raise Hummock
6 Gatorswarm
9 Quagmire Vortex

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-11, 06:29 AM
Zaydos's suggestion is pretty solid, but I'd make a few changes:

replace Breath of the Jungle with Fengut
swap the spell levels of Swamp Lung and Creeping Doom
replace Tsunami with Quagmire Vortex

Gatorswarm
Quagmire Vortex

Incidentally, "Gatorswarm" and "Quagmire Vortex" are the names of my hard rock band and our first album.

Ashtagon
2016-09-11, 06:35 AM
I don't think tidal wave, or most other "powerful force made of moving water" spell is appropriate. One of the key features of a swamp is that the water is essentially still or stagnant.

possible 9th level (3.5 only checked) options:

mass drown
elemental swarm
imprisonment
magic miasma
quagmire vortex
shambler
summon elemental monolith

ZhanStrider
2016-09-12, 09:37 AM
I don't think tidal wave, or most other "powerful force made of moving water" spell is appropriate. One of the key features of a swamp is that the water is essentially still or stagnant.

possible 9th level (3.5 only checked) options:

mass drown
elemental swarm
imprisonment
magic miasma
quagmire vortex
shambler
summon elemental monolith

I don't disagree in concept, but the mental image of a guy throwing a tsunami in a swamp that would otherwise be stagnant is pretty cool

Psyren
2016-09-12, 10:26 AM

You could buff this by adding oozes too. They live in swamps and having someone that can turn/rebuke these would be a useful avenue of study or addition to many parties.

Inevitability
2016-09-12, 10:27 AM
I don't disagree in concept, but the mental image of a guy throwing a tsunami in a swamp that would otherwise be stagnant is pretty cool

Then you might as well say that the Ocean domain should include Fireball because the mental image of a guy throwing a fireball in the depths of the ocean is pretty cool.

Zaydos
2016-09-12, 12:12 PM
I'd somehow forgotten Shambler :smallredface:

It's a much better choice.

Quagmire Vortex probably is too but I was just using PHB + SpC so I am not ashamed of that.

Thurbane
2016-09-12, 03:51 PM
Incidentally, "Gatorswarm" and "Quagmire Vortex" are the names of my hard rock band and our first album.

I very much approve of this post! :smallbiggrin:

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/heavy-metal-guitarist-16586801.jpg
GATORSWARM

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-12, 11:47 PM
For the domain ability, If you'll indulge my overcerebralization, should be something that captures the essence of a swamp. Treed wetlands are places of constant decay that beget tons of life. That could be a bunch of things.

A supernatural ability that scales with your class levels that is basically a cha bonus times per day use of the vampire touch spell, except that it's a transmutation effect and the damage limit is more forgiving?

Transmute water to plant life Su ability modelled off of the sandshaper domain? Probably a better as a devotion feat.

Maybe the abilities to walk on water and speak to insects?

Waker
2016-09-12, 11:59 PM
For the domain power, how about resistance or immunity to diseases or the sickened/nauseated conditions?

eggynack
2016-09-13, 12:07 AM
For the domain power, how about resistance or immunity to diseases or the sickened/nauseated conditions?
Iron constitution (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) might work. I've always thought that ability was sweet. Dunno if I'd put resist nature's lure on the same power level as a domain ability, so the power comparison is a bit wonky, but, y'know, I wouldn't put resist nature's lure on the same power level as iron constitution either. Notably, I'd only been thinking in terms of the strong stomach element, but incorporate the +2 against diseases that's granted and you get your whole desired concept right there.

Edit: Alternatively, blessed by Tem-Et-Nu as a bonus feat would be the greatest domain power ever. Hippos totally sometimes live in swamps.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-13, 12:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/elwcpqn.png
http://i.imgur.com/mx4fzW2.png

(Art by TitusLunter (http://tituslunter.deviantart.com/art/Swamp-361762563))

Thurbane
2016-09-13, 01:09 AM
How about Strong Stomach (Cityscape) as a bonus feat?

Oh, and excellent CD cover art ^^ :smallbiggrin:

ZhanStrider
2016-09-13, 08:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/elwcpqn.png
http://i.imgur.com/mx4fzW2.png

(Art by TitusLunter (http://tituslunter.deviantart.com/art/Swamp-361762563))

/thread game over you win

Waker
2016-09-13, 11:06 AM
Anchovies has set the spell list in stone. No changing it now. Now the OP just needs to decide on the domain power.

ZhanStrider
2016-09-20, 09:07 PM
Anchovies has set the spell list in stone. No changing it now. Now the OP just needs to decide on the domain power.

What if they had like the unicorn power? Like 1/day they could teleport anywhere into their home swamp?

Waker
2016-09-20, 10:09 PM
What if they had like the unicorn power? Like 1/day they could teleport anywhere into their home swamp?

Are you asking me? I already made my suggestion. You are the one who makes the choice.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-20, 10:24 PM
Some domain powers are not very powerful, some are quite so.

It seems that the travel domain's Freedom of Movement for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level (plus adding survival to your class skills) is one of the more powerful.

So would swamp stride (SC p. 217), a number of rounds equal to your cleric level be a good ability to have, that is powerful, but not too powerful. Basically you can teleport from one pool of water to any other pool within 500 feet.

Like travel domain's FoM, it's a fourth level spell, but drastically shorter duration.

It might be reasonable to add something like move silently to your class skill list as well.

Zaydos
2016-09-20, 10:41 PM
Note that Travel Domain is not Freedom of Movement specifically

Granted Powers

For a total time per day of 1 round per cleric level you possess, you can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds).

Unlike Freedom of Movement it has no effect on Grappling, Difficult Terrain, moving in the water, etc, which is actually a massive nerf to FoM.

Thurbane
2016-09-20, 10:52 PM
How about Strong Stomach (Cityscape) as a bonus feat?

I'm going to spruik my suggestion again -= bonus feats are fairly common for domains, it seems to fit thematically, and you avoid the prereqs for a fairly decent feat.