PDA

View Full Version : Player Help An all monk party for Storm King's thunder

Nishant
2016-09-10, 02:53 PM
Granted, in 5e most things are viable, but my group wanted to figure out if that was (fairly) survivable. We're not against multiclassing, and it looks like the plan that we've set is have it as such.

wood elf- long death monk
Hill Dwarf- Open Hand
V. Human- Sun Soul
Half Elf- Shadow

What do you guys think? personally I'm the long death, but we're all looking for advice.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-10, 02:56 PM
You're all glass cannons going up against monsters known for throwing boulders.

I approve.

Nishant
2016-09-10, 03:04 PM
Yeah.. I assume this will go really well or really bad.

NecroDancer
2016-09-10, 03:43 PM
Giant killers: fists of fury!

Nishant
2016-09-10, 03:52 PM
You're all glass cannons going up against monsters known for throwing boulders.

I approve.

Fun fact; monks can by RAW catch and deflect the boulders.

JumboWheat01
2016-09-10, 04:02 PM
The only way I'll approve of such a party is if Kung Fu Fighting is played at the start of every session.

Hudsonian
2016-09-10, 04:21 PM
Someone needs to go urchin background and get the DM to allow "flurry of thefts".

(In non combat situations)

NecroDancer
2016-09-10, 04:21 PM
The only problem you might face is the lack of a healer or a spellcaster in general

Nishant
2016-09-10, 04:24 PM
Someone needs to go urchin background and get the DM to allow "flurry of thefts".

(In non combat situations)

Our shadow monk will be going either urchin or charlatan.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-10, 06:46 PM
Granted, in 5e most things are viable, but my group wanted to figure out if that was (fairly) survivable. We're not against multiclassing, and it looks like the plan that we've set is have it as such.

wood elf- long death monk
Hill Dwarf- Open Hand
V. Human- Sun Soul
Half Elf- Shadow

What do you guys think? personally I'm the long death, but we're all looking for advice.

I'm the biggest monk fanatic there is but I don't want to play a monk in SKT. Giants have big CON saves, so pulling off a stunning strike on them will be really tough. Giants also bring the pain when it comes to melee damage, so you want a tank like a barbarian up there in the front lines that can absorb all that damage, not a monk.

I foresee problems for this group, but I appreciate an all monk team so I can't poo poo it.

Nishant
2016-09-10, 11:07 PM
I'm the biggest monk fanatic there is but I don't want to play a monk in SKT. Giants have big CON saves, so pulling off a stunning strike on them will be really tough. Giants also bring the pain when it comes to melee damage, so you want a tank like a barbarian up there in the front lines that can absorb all that damage, not a monk.

I foresee problems for this group, but I appreciate an all monk team so I can't poo poo it.

we recognize we'll likely have to multiclass or dip into other classes, and we're rolling rather than point buy, which is why we're asking for advice. Our shadow monk plans to be our face/ skill monkey, and said they'll probably multiclass into rogue as well, but given their roles, might want to dabble in warlock instead.

I'm not sure if I'll multiclass given I'm going long death monk, and same thing for our open hand monk. We're looking for build advice. We just rolled stats together, but have time till our first session.

LD monk; str 10, dex 20, con 16, cha 14 wis 16 int 11

OH monk; 12 str, 15 dex, 18 con, 19 wis, 6 int, 12 cha

SS monk; 14 str, 17 dex, 14 con, 17 wis, 14 int, 8 cha (feat for V. Human undecided)

Sh monk; 8 str, 19 dex, 14 con, 17 wis, 12 int, 18 cha

So, what do you guys think?

NecroDancer
2016-09-11, 12:14 AM
By the Raven Queen! Those are some great stats! I would suggest multiclassing maybe into cleric or some other spellcaster just for added versatility

Joe the Rat
2016-09-11, 12:27 AM
The Healer feat can help fill the gaps on healing.
Healing potions and healer's kits. It's not like you have something else to spend your money on.

You will need to play smart. Be maneuverable. Avoid toe to toe unless you like patient defense a lot. Target Dex saves.

j_spencer93
2016-09-11, 12:41 AM
Absolutely love the idea, however I am a huge fan of monks so I am not the best judge. Would say look into the gourmand feat....idr exactly what it does but may help (its UA).

Specter
2016-09-11, 09:34 AM
Four Elements could be nice for area damage here. Also make sure you have varied backgrounds for an easy skill time.

The only way I'll approve of such a party is if Kung Fu Fighting is played at the start of every session.

Hahahahahaha

Nishant
2016-09-11, 10:30 AM
Four Elements could be nice for area damage here. Also make sure you have varied backgrounds for an easy skill time.

We worried about how it will settle with the way of four elements. A lot of its abilities eat up a lot of ki points.

our backgrounds are as such

LD; Outlander
OH; clan crafter
SS; Acolyte
Sh; urchin or charlatan