PDA

View Full Version : Visiting alternate realities imagination thread

gooddragon1
2016-09-10, 03:27 PM
If you could visit alternate realities but couldn't bring anything to another reality that doesn't normally exist there (interpret this in any way you want but post a defense, which will inevitably be nerdsniped :D), where would you go/avoid? Feel free to nerdsnipe and nitpick logic :D.

Other Rules
-You can pick the time frame and location in which you visit (so a certain day and time and location).
--Once you're there though it's whatever transportation is available.
-You're opening a instanced reality so nothing you do is saved for the next time you visit.

I'll Start:
+I definitely wouldn't visit the WH40k universe.
+I might visit the My Little Pony universe because things seem to be nicer there and food is more abundant (and tasty).
+Thought about visiting the star trek universe when replicators are around, but Q (or something else) might be a problem.

Traab
2016-09-10, 04:23 PM
The trek universe is a good idea, and honestly, they have had so many alternative reality visitors that unless you plan to seduce catherine janeway, I dont think Q will notice or care. But too be safe, might as well choose to appear in san fransisco. :smallbiggrin:

As for me, I would go to the trek universe, and take with me a bunch of semi valuable things from our time period that would likely be super valuable antiques, or collector items. You think that action comics #1 is valuable now? Try in a universe a few hundred years ahead! We already know there are plenty of history nuts in the universe who would love to get their hands on an authenticated item like that. You could probably get yourself setup really nice in that universe with a handful of things along those lines. And I could take them because they used to exist in that time period. Im not trying to introduce rock and roll to the game of thrones universe or something.

Im also sure that I could arrange to trade these collector items for replicated SOMETHING of great value back in my home universe. If travel back and forth was allowed I could make a vast fortune just on trading back and forth across the divide. Be like, "Anything you people want from the 20th/21st century?" And offer to trade it for something I can bring back thats far more valuable back home.

As for other realities, hmm, I might try to go through my old novels looking for a universe where my knowledge could be used to make myself obscenely wealthy. There was a series I read where this girl from kentucky got sent to a world that was medieval in tech. By the end of the series there had been throwaway mentions of things like her getting the blacksmith to try and build a internal combustion engine. But she had managed to advance the tech level of her area fairly decently. She didnt bring them to 20th century times or anything, but she had improved things in a lot of areas like health, farming techniques, far better roads, things like that. Even changed laws and government to an extent to make it a bit less "nobles win, everyone else loses"

kraftcheese
2016-09-16, 10:43 PM
The trek universe is a good idea, and honestly, they have had so many alternative reality visitors that unless you plan to seduce catherine janeway, I dont think Q will notice or care. But too be safe, might as well choose to appear in san fransisco. :smallbiggrin:

As for me, I would go to the trek universe, and take with me a bunch of semi valuable things from our time period that would likely be super valuable antiques, or collector items. You think that action comics #1 is valuable now? Try in a universe a few hundred years ahead! We already know there are plenty of history nuts in the universe who would love to get their hands on an authenticated item like that. You could probably get yourself setup really nice in that universe with a handful of things along those lines. And I could take them because they used to exist in that time period. Im not trying to introduce rock and roll to the game of thrones universe or something.

Im also sure that I could arrange to trade these collector items for replicated SOMETHING of great value back in my home universe. If travel back and forth was allowed I could make a vast fortune just on trading back and forth across the divide. Be like, "Anything you people want from the 20th/21st century?" And offer to trade it for something I can bring back thats far more valuable back home.

As for other realities, hmm, I might try to go through my old novels looking for a universe where my knowledge could be used to make myself obscenely wealthy. There was a series I read where this girl from kentucky got sent to a world that was medieval in tech. By the end of the series there had been throwaway mentions of things like her getting the blacksmith to try and build a internal combustion engine. But she had managed to advance the tech level of her area fairly decently. She didnt bring them to 20th century times or anything, but she had improved things in a lot of areas like health, farming techniques, far better roads, things like that. Even changed laws and government to an extent to make it a bit less "nobles win, everyone else loses"
To be fair, if you wanted to get rich in the Trek Universe you'd have to go to one of the other civilizations that aren't the Federation, considering they don't use money and look down on accruing wealth (by TNG times anyway).

I guess they could give you a bunch of gold-pressed Latinum? The Federation usually use it when dealing with societies that still have market economies... :smallwink:

(full disclosure I reckon living in the Federation would be pretty great; post-scarcity, you can do what you want since you don't have to worry about working to pay for rent and food...)