PDA

View Full Version : Prestige classes for Bard and Ranger

Chalkarts
2016-09-10, 04:29 PM
I'm trying to find good prestige classes for a Bard.

Also, there is a prestige class in one of the "Complete" books that is for animal companion characters like druid and ranger. It allows them to have multiple animal companions up to his hit dice. I cant remember what book or the name of the class, can anyone help jog my memory?

Troacctid
2016-09-10, 04:35 PM
If you have access to Dragon Magazine, check out issues #311 and #314, both of which have several excellent options.

Some other good bard prestige classes include Lyric Thaumaturge (CM), Sublime Chord (CAr), Urban Savant (Ci), Stormsinger (Fr), and Halfling Whistler (Web (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a)).

Also, there is a prestige class in one of the "Complete" books that is for animal companion characters like druid and ranger. It allows them to have multiple animal companions up to his hit dice. I cant remember what book or the name of the class, can anyone help jog my memory?
Beastmaster. It's not very good, though. At best, it may be worth taking one level.

Sajiri
2016-09-10, 04:40 PM
I personally love the Fochluchan Lyrist (I think it's in complete adventurer), it's more of a cross between bard and druid though. Only thing is it has pretty steep requirements that also dips into rogue (or some kind of stealth class), unless you have a DM that allows you to waive/change some of the requirements it's not that great.

Troacctid
2016-09-10, 05:07 PM
I personally love the Fochluchan Lyrist (I think it's in complete adventurer), it's more of a cross between bard and druid though. Only thing is it has pretty steep requirements that also dips into rogue (or some kind of stealth class), unless you have a DM that allows you to waive/change some of the requirements it's not that great.
Fochlucan Lyrist can be found online here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2). It pairs well with Green Whisperer, one of the prestige classes from Dragon #311.

Red Fel
2016-09-10, 05:34 PM
There are other classes that work well as a PrC for a given class, but aren't exclusive to it. For example, when taking advantage of a Bard/Sublime Chord's Cha bonus and illusion spells, the Nightmare Spinner and Dread Witch classes are both extremely powerful, although neither is specific to Bards (they don't advance Bardic Music, for example).

Waker
2016-09-10, 05:43 PM
Aside from Bard PrC, did you have anything in mind? What do you want the PrC to focus or improve upon?

Rebel7284
2016-09-10, 05:44 PM
The casting you get from Sublime Chord is the best Bard feature by the widest margin. The fact that you can use a different prestige class to then progress Sublime Chord is even better.

Besides Beastmaster, there is also the Wild Cohort feat that can be added to any other class. Also two short Prestige Classes that boost Wild Cohort in the same web article.