PDA

View Full Version : Best Utility Spells For A Support Sorcerer?

Erit
2016-09-10, 06:39 PM
To make a long story short, the party's Psion and healer can't attend the campaign anymore, and our Bard is going blast/control through some unholy multiclassing mouthful I don't know the details of. So it's fallen upon me and my Whisper Gnome Barbarian to take up some arcanery to fill in the Batman gaps and abuse Extra Spell to pick up some small measure of healing.

To that end, I entreat the Playground's collective wisdom to aid me in selecting a few problem-solvers available to Sorcerers, up to about 7th level spells. As for why I'm not simple taking Wizard; permanent illiteracy courtesy of a flaw.

And I feel compelled to stress; I'm looking for things like Dark Way or Teleport, spells whose uses are primarily outside of blowing things up or bringing nations to their knees. Nor am I looking to build gish-y; Abjurant Champion is banned anyways.

BowStreetRunner
2016-09-10, 06:59 PM
So if I understand this correctly, your Whisper Gnome Barbarian is going to multi-class into Sorcerer? What level are you currently? Depending on circumstances, there may be other options available to you.

I recall a Barbarian 2 / Totemist 2 / Warblade 3 / Champion of Gwynharwyf 10 who was fairly resourceful, although not quite Batman by comparison.

If you get the Domain Access ACF at Sorcerer level 5 you can open up the Combat Medic PrC, and by level 5 of the PrC you can spontaneously cast heal in any level 6+ slot.

For straight sorcerer, here are some spell ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103682-3-5-Choose-your-best-sorcerer-spells-arcane-levels-1-9), although I never recommend going straight sorcerer. Once you get into sorcerer, either with class levels or through Dragon Devotee, you will want to jump into PrCs that advance sorcerer casting as soon as you can. Here is a list of options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?294500-The-Improved-Sorcerer) to advance sorcerer casting without losing caster levels.

Erit
2016-09-10, 08:12 PM
So if I understand this correctly, your Whisper Gnome Barbarian is going to multi-class into Sorcerer? What level are you currently? Depending on circumstances, there may be other options available to you.

I recall a Barbarian 2 / Totemist 2 / Warblade 3 / Champion of Gwynharwyf 10 who was fairly resourceful, although not quite Batman by comparison.

If you get the Domain Access ACF at Sorcerer level 5 you can open up the Combat Medic PrC, and by level 5 of the PrC you can spontaneously cast heal in any level 6+ slot.

For straight sorcerer, here are some spell ideas (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103682-3-5-Choose-your-best-sorcerer-spells-arcane-levels-1-9), although I never recommend going straight sorcerer. Once you get into sorcerer, either with class levels or through Dragon Devotee, you will want to jump into PrCs that advance sorcerer casting as soon as you can. Here is a list of options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?294500-The-Improved-Sorcerer) to advance sorcerer casting without losing caster levels.

The party is currently 4ths and 5ths courtesy of myself and the bard buying off some LA earlier. And yes, you understand correctly; Whisper Gnome Barbarian multiclassing to Sorcerer; already done a two-level dip in Fighter for bonus feats, but the DM isn't enforcing XP penalties.

I'm reluctant to pick up Domain Access since I'm already taking Battle Sorcerer; I still need to be a competent frontline, since the other party members are the blaster bard and a ninja. Plus, healing is only part of the concern; we need to make up for a drought in general magical utility, and my character's the only one whose plan is flexible enough to permit such.

Troacctid
2016-09-10, 08:33 PM
Have you considered going bard instead? You could snag full BAB with Memory Smith or Battle Howler, and it would let you transition into Sublime Chord for better casting.

Suel Arcanamach or Knight of the Weave would also be good.

Efrate
2016-09-10, 08:42 PM
Polymorph, and the planar bindings come to mind immediately. Summon monster 3 plus. Those can solve a lot of issues. Check out the summoner's desk reference.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5

Expands your spell list nicely, though full round action cost is a pain.

Erit
2016-09-10, 08:47 PM
Have you considered going bard instead? You could snag full BAB with Memory Smith or Battle Howler, and it would let you transition into Sublime Chord for better casting.

Suel Arcanamach or Knight of the Weave would also be good.

I've considered Bard, but I'm leaning more towards Sorcerer because of the greater breadth of options in terms of spells that can be learned.

Archanamach's language requirements are a bit of a pain in my keister, but that's also an option provided the DM is willing to provide an instructor. Unfortunately it lacks access to Conjuration spells, so Teleport would be beyond the party's grasp. Knight of the Weave doesn't offer enough out-of-combat utility in its spell list.

Troacctid
2016-09-10, 09:05 PM
Bard has a couple nice upsides. Your spells are weaker at first, but once you hit level 10 you can go into Sublime Chord and get an accelerated progression (up to 9ths, easily catching up with and even surpassing a sorcerer) and gain access to the whole sor/wiz list as well as the bard list. You also get Use Magic Device, and can use magic savant (from Complete Mage) to get a +4 insight bonus and take 10 on it, so you can use wands of spells from any list. You get healing spells naturally, too. And, of course, more skill points are always nice, and bardic music doesn't hurt.

Erit
2016-09-10, 09:29 PM
Hrm... you make a good case. I'll talk to the bard we already have about the idea, since I don't want to step on toes.