PDA

View Full Version : Detect magic query

Kurald Galain
2007-07-08, 01:30 PM
I seem to recall a detect magic variant that caused all magical stuff within its area to glow. Does anyone else remember this? Perhaps it was the 2nd-ed detect magic spell?

Yechezkiel
2007-07-08, 01:44 PM
The current Detect Magic allows the caster to "detect magical auras", which most DMs just describe as "it glows".

I think the wording means you just know or not, but it's easiest to imagine the auras visually.

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-08, 01:53 PM
When you use Detect Magic you see an aura of "weak/moderate/strong" X. Where X is equal to whatever school(s) of magic the item uses.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-08, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but I think he means a variant that makes the magical stuff actually glow, so that anyone can tell (not just the caster).

Yechezkiel
2007-07-08, 01:58 PM
When you use Detect Magic you see an aura of "weak/moderate/strong" X. Where X is equal to whatever school(s) of magic the item uses.

After 3 rounds studying one aura and making a spellcraft check. I'm personally against just giving the players that info without the time/check.

"3rd Round: The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + half caster level for a nonspell effect.)"

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-08, 02:00 PM
15 seconds and a retryable check? Wow, you're really interested in dragging out your games, aren't you? Just assume they "take twenty" and eventually they'll get it.

Yechezkiel
2007-07-08, 02:11 PM
15 seconds and a retryable check? Wow, you're really interested in dragging out your games, aren't you? Just assume they "take twenty" and eventually they'll get it.

Yeah, I kinda do like making non-combat related things more intricate and interesting to my players. They appreciate the descriptions and are excited the first time they see moderate and strong auras in a campaign.

Yuki Akuma
2007-07-08, 02:21 PM

Shock horror! Someone actually plays by the RAW!

...It's not as if you have to wait fifteen real seconds. The timings are really only a problem during combat, and during combat you have better things to do than cast a cantrip.

Delaney Gale
2007-07-08, 02:50 PM
The current Detect Magic allows the caster to "detect magical auras", which most DMs just describe as "it glows".

I think the wording means you just know or not, but it's easiest to imagine the auras visually.

My archmage "feels" magical auras as a headache. For his sake, let's hope he never casts detect magic on an artifact. :smallbiggrin: At any rate, Detect Magic only really allows the caster to "see the auras", so it would all be flavor.

Matthew
2007-07-09, 10:16 PM
Uhh, 3 Rounds is 18 Seconds, isn't it?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-10, 03:33 AM
My archmage "feels" magical auras as a headache. For his sake, let's hope he never casts detect magic on an artifact. :smallbiggrin:

I tend to put abilities on artifacts like "anyone viewing this with detect magic or a similar ability must make a will save or be dazed / blinded / stunned / something similar for 1d6 rounds"

Kaelaroth
2007-07-10, 04:12 AM
In most of my worlds, the caster suddenly sees everything magical glowing very brightly. Depending on the colour or texrure of the glow, he knows what is what. I beleive this is how it is meant to be used.:smallsmile:

Kaelaroth
2007-07-10, 04:14 AM
*texture.... grrr

Fixer
2007-07-10, 06:18 AM
I believe, back in 2nd edition, detect magic caused magic items to glow. Not positive, but if not then it was 1st edition. I do remember it was once described as behaving like that.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-10, 07:29 AM
Back in 2nd edition (when Detect Magic was a 1st level spell) the caster* would see the radiation of magic.
Nothing about glowing auras for everyone there either.

*: The Arcane and Divine versions were actually slightly different.

Uhh, 3 Rounds is 18 Seconds, isn't it?

3x6 = 18?

Yup, you are right Matthew I just checked on two different calculators. :smallamused:

Matthew
2007-07-10, 09:52 PM
Back in 2nd edition (when Detect Magic was a 1st level spell) the caster* would see the radiation of magic.
Nothing about glowing auras for everyone there either.

*: The Arcane and Divine versions were actually slightly different.

Yep. However, if you happen to watch Dungeons & Dragons 2: Wrath of the Dragon God you can see Wizards 'official' stance on whether items glow when Detect Magic is cast on them - they do :smallbiggrin:.

3x6 = 18?

Yup, you are right Matthew I just checked on two different calculators. :smallamused:
Ah, good. All this talk of 15 seconds and three Rounds was causing me to wonder.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-11, 02:37 AM
Yep. However, if you happen to watch Dungeons & Dragons 2: Wrath of the Dragon God...

Happen to... You mean if Mindflayers abduct me and tie all my eye stalks to a crystal ball. :smalltongue:

JackMage666
2007-07-11, 02:41 AM
That was a god-awful movie, right there.

Charity
2007-07-11, 02:44 AM
That will teach you to stint on eyelids ^^.

its_all_ogre
2007-07-11, 02:51 AM
i do not have the book to hand but i imagine that a spellcraft check would be one of those you could not take 20 on, like knowledge checks.
not least because i imagine that detect magic would stop working before the 20 rounds have passed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-07-11, 03:50 AM
Detect Magic's duration is 1 min/level, so when you reach 3rd* caster level you have enough time to take twenty.

*: 2nd if you use: 1 round = 5 seconds. :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2007-07-11, 04:56 AM
That was a god-awful movie, right there.

Let me guess, worse than the (laughably pathetic) first one?

JackMage666
2007-07-11, 04:58 AM
Actually, yes, it was worse than the first one.

As hard as that is to believe, it is true.

Matthew
2007-07-11, 07:16 AM
Happen to... You mean if Mindflayers abduct me and tie all my eye stalks to a crystal ball. :smalltongue:

*Mental Note: The Beholder has somehow gotten wind of our plan, take the necessary steps...*

Actually, yes, it was worse than the first one.

As hard as that is to believe, it is true.

Now you're just talking nonesense. The first one was just a big pile of rubbish with Super Man's Tea Boy in the Title Role. The second one was a typical fantasy film (i.e. pretty rubbish, but watchable).