PDA

View Full Version : How do I erase all save data for Undertale?

MonkeySage
2016-09-10, 09:48 PM
I have never beaten this game. Instead, I got stuck and basically screwed myself over by relying on healing items. I'm actually really bad at the combat system and the pacifist route I was taking didn't help since I was a squishy marshmallow with no protectives late in the game. How I even got that far, I can only attribute to luck; I have terrible reflexes and I'm not good at dodging attacks even when I know the pattern they're going to take. Anyway, i want a clean slate, full reset, no name, no nothing. Is there any way I can do this? I uninstalled and reinstalled and I still had the same save game as before.

I don't want methods that tell me I need to beat the game to do this; that would be utterly unhelpful. I want to reset because I'm bad at the game and want a chance to learn the game properly.

Silfir
2016-09-10, 09:55 PM
Go to your AppData folder (you may have to enable the viewing of hidden files), go to /Local/Roaming, and drop a nuke on the Undertale folder. Or just move it to the Recycle Bin. That oughta work.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-09-10, 10:01 PM
...Why do you want a full reset? Why not just use the standard reset?

MonkeySage
2016-09-10, 10:01 PM
Among other things, I'd like to change my name.

Forum Explorer
2016-09-11, 12:57 AM
Among other things, I'd like to change my name.

It's annoyingly difficult to do a full reset manually. However changing your name is actually really easy. Google the exact steps, but basically you find a file on your computer that has your Undertale info on it. (It should be in the Undertale folder) and then you edit your name. It's like the first line on the file so it's really easy. Load up your current game, resave over your file (that's actually really important), and then do a regular reset.

Nerd-o-rama
2016-09-12, 09:35 PM
You think you are above consequences.

But no seriously, make sure you game isn't backing up to Steam and then do the AppData thing if you want, but there's a bunch of easter eggs if you do a normal reset so I recommend doing that and just text editing your name.

MonkeySage
2016-09-20, 01:39 PM
I've begun the genocide route, kinda flubbed myself though with my equipment choice; a certain fish is proving to be quite the handful.

I've got one snowpiece, one pie, five cinnamon buns, one crab apple, the cloudy glasses, and the tough glove. I do not have access to the tutu or the ballet shoes. :)

Nerd-o-rama
2016-09-21, 04:00 PM
I've begun the genocide route, kinda flubbed myself though with my equipment choice; a certain fish is proving to be quite the handful.

I've got one snowpiece, one pie, five cinnamon buns, one crab apple, the cloudy glasses, and the tough glove. I do not have access to the tutu or the ballet shoes. :)

You can't walk back to where the shoes and tutu are? Or go get the Notebook from Gerson? Invulnerability Frames may be more valuable than ATK in that fight.

MonkeySage
2016-09-21, 04:11 PM
Nope, point of no return. No ducky.

etrpgb
2016-09-26, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info, I found extremely annoying that the game tries to be smart using information from previous plays. What the heck were they thinking?

PhantomFox
2016-09-26, 10:54 AM
The game's main theme is that it treats itself as if it were real with lasting consequences. Thus the hidden persistent data. It kinda forces immersion.

etrpgb
2016-09-26, 12:36 PM
I am well aware it's a very personal opinion, but for me:
Inside a single game it's smart. Between different games it's smartass.

Forum Explorer
2016-09-26, 12:47 PM

I disagree. Though I view it more as one of those fancy award winning books/shows that don't use a typical format that you see in it's genre. The atypical format is the point, and if you don't like, well it's not the story/game/show for you.

Nerd-o-rama
2016-09-26, 05:19 PM

Define "a single game". If you play through to completion, it's easy enough to clear all data, more or less.

ShneekeyTheLost
2016-09-27, 07:33 PM
The game's main theme is that it treats itself as if it were real with lasting consequences. Thus the hidden persistent data. It kinda forces immersion.No, it kinda destroys immersion. Which is why I consider it one of the top ten WORST games of all time, right up there with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the NES and E.T. for the Atari.

When a game calls out a PLAYER, rather than the character, for making a new save because he screwed up? a) immersion breaking. b) jerk move. c) forcing a player to spoil the game for himself because of the ultimate expression of 'guide dang it' to avoid it.

I have NFC how this game got popular. Nor do I really care. I cannot express the depth of my loathing for this game. Right up there with sparkling vampires and Fifty Shades.

Forum Explorer
2016-09-27, 07:41 PM
No, it kinda destroys immersion. Which is why I consider it one of the top ten WORST games of all time, right up there with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the NES and E.T. for the Atari.

When a game calls out a PLAYER, rather than the character, for making a new save because he screwed up? a) immersion breaking. b) jerk move. c) forcing a player to spoil the game for himself because of the ultimate expression of 'guide dang it' to avoid it.

I have NFC how this game got popular. Nor do I really care. I cannot express the depth of my loathing for this game. Right up there with sparkling vampires and Fifty Shades.

Because most people had the opposite reaction to you. Being called out on loading/resetting actually increased their immersion. I don't know why it didn't have the same effect with you, but being called out for my actions didn't
A) break immersion
b) feel like a jerk move
C) or caused me to spoil the game to avoid it.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-09-27, 07:50 PM
No, it kinda destroys immersion. Which is why I consider it one of the top ten WORST games of all time, right up there with Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the NES and E.T. for the Atari.

I am going to say. I don't like Brechtian drama. Brecht was a playwright who had the idea that people shouldn't get caught up in the world of fantasy, that they should always remember that they are still themselves and still in this world, with plays examining this world. I don't like it because it's either blunt or confusing and isn't comedic. The game Super Hot is a great example of the Brechtian storytelling I dislike. 4th-wall jokes are Brechtian comedy, which I do like, but that's not very relevant to my point here.

Now here's the thing. Undertale is not Brechtian. It never says "hey, you, sitting at your computer." If you got that message, it's because you took what the game said personally. It never acknowledges game files. It does not break the 4th wall. The power to save and reset belongs to the main character of Undertale, whom the player is controlling. Flowey can see it and a couple other characters have an idea of it. Resetting the game is within the world of the game.

Winthur
2016-09-28, 07:22 AM

Games that are barely playable and are ugly, jumbled messes compared to a game that knew its demographic and capitalized on it (basically Homestuck/tumblr trash) and complimented it with a good soundtrack, charming artstyle and an overall fun package (it's a pretty short jRPG with a remotely fun combat system), and you put it in the top ten worst?

I mean I hate Asscreed and lament the dawn of nu-Bioware or the fact that Fallout is in Bethesda's hands, but that wouldn't make me call FO4/DA2/any AC game the worst game of all time when it's at least playable and one can have fun in it :|

On the other hand, it showcases some pretty good care of the author as he kinda predicts pretty much everything you can do in the game and responds accordingly with small touches. That level of care is not seen often, not even in other indie productions.

Nerd-o-rama
2016-09-30, 12:17 PM

You sure do know how to find a thread about it and complain, even if it's not the thread's actual topic, though. Certainly gets a lot of responses.