PDA

View Full Version : SWMud

Simkin
2016-09-10, 11:50 PM
I'm choosing to post this here rather than the looking for players forum as I'm not really seeking people for a game I'm looking to run. I did want to at least post once about a game I am, and have been passionate about for a long time.

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum is familiar with MUDs (Multi User Dungeons). They aren't nearly as common these days as they were in the late 90s and early 2000s. They are essentially computer / text based games, (believe I just lost 80% of anyone reading with that statement). They can be played on phones and tablets, but are typically accessed through a client run on a computer. MUDs are all about exploration, solving quests, leveling characters, etc. Essentially MMOs before MMOs were cool (or had graphics).

I started playing MUDs in the late 90s when I was in high school. I found SWMud (Star Wars Mud) in 1996 and have played it on and off for over 20 years. There's very few games (or even hobbies) that have kept my attention as long as it has. The player base has dwindled somewhat over the last decade as MMOs have risen in popularity (currently only 25 or so on at any given time), but we are always looking to attract new players to our addiction.

SWMud is an incredibly rich environment crafted over the last couple decades by multiple admin and players. The website www.swmud.org, has a fairly good basic description, but I'll provide some high level information. In short it is a huge world to explore. Over 40 areas, averaging 150-200 (and up to 1000 rooms) per area. There are nearly endless quests to explore, ground and space fighting, player killing for those interested. If character development and grinding are your things you can do that in spades. There are 22 races and 10 guilds, which you mix and match up to 4 guilds on any character as you develop. Each person can have 2 characters initially, with ways to unlock up to 6 character slots currently.

I would recommend MUDs in general to anyone who likes RPGs and has some patience left for games that require a commitment. I'd recommend SWMud to anyone though, whether you like Star Wars or not. It is a world that many people have put a lot of passion in to.

If you have interest in giving it a try check out the website. That has everything you need to access it. There is a link on the site to access the MUD through Telnet; however, most MUD clients can be obtained for free on both Windows or Mac platforms. I currently used a Mac-based client called Atlantis, and an app called PocketMud on my tablets/phones.

If anyone has interest feel free to post here and I can get in touch here or in game. I have multiple characters on the mud so it'll be easier to track here until you establish a character and let me know who it is. Happy to help out new players.

If anyone has questions please feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading.