PDA

View Full Version : Original System NR v.2 Hybrid System

gtwucla
2016-09-11, 12:03 AM
Hey all, I released a 'first version' of the Northern Realm about three months ago with the intention of making a rules lite D&D game and campaign world, but what I came up with was a bloated 700 sem-odd page heartbreaker. So in the past month, I've just finished putting together a playable system and editing down the book. It still needs a lot more editing/writing, but i figure I won't release this until at least a year down the road, so the best thing I can do now is get as much feedback as possible.

If you're interested or know anyone interested in testing games (I live in a bit of a microcosm here in Taiwan), here it is. It's based around set classes levels 1-10, ability scores Strength, Dexterity, Intellect, Intuition, Will, and Luck (and no dump stats, ability damage, drain, separate saves), a set amount of Life (doesn't change) and increasing amount of Power (used to cast spells); and play revolving around a d20 and d6s. Spells are cast using Power, granting you Spell Dice (d6s) (up to 4) that set the DC, overcome Spell Resistance, produce effects, and possibly cause extraneous effects (usually bad for the caster) when you roll doubles, triples, or quadruples. Rules for combat are meant to ramp up the tension and give players strategic options.

Here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnb5upkhwt7gnp7/Northern%20Realm%20part%202%2C%20second%20edition. pdf?dl=0

Download from dropbox to use hyperlinks.

gtwucla
2016-10-03, 09:40 PM
At any rate, I'm going to keep it updating over the course of the year and I'm keeping a running commentary as I work on each section on the website in my sig.

Cluedrew
2016-10-10, 03:03 PM
Well, I've been reading it.

Not all of it, I got to the example Alchemist character before I stopped. But let me tell you what I think so far:

The hook has been improved. The Northern Realm in a Nutshell has a lot of cool little "feeling" statements that give me a... feel for what is going on. On the other hand there seem to be random rules mixed in as well. Maybe they are that important, but they feel out of place. Maybe if you grouped it a bit: Setting, Characters, Combat, Magic or something like that?

I like the skills, or I like the skills that seem to of also replaced sections of one-off buys. I haven't tried it but it makes sense to me and makes skills more interesting that straight modifiers.

I also took a look at the Adventuring section. One thing bothered me: There does not seem to be rules for cold or snow. I understand that "north" does not mean "arctic"... but where are the rules for snow and cold? Might just be personally bias but I feel there should be rules for snow and cold around here somewhere.

gtwucla
2016-10-11, 11:23 AM
Well, I've been reading it.

Not all of it, I got to the example Alchemist character before I stopped. But let me tell you what I think so far:

The hook has been improved. The Northern Realm in a Nutshell has a lot of cool little "feeling" statements that give me a... feel for what is going on. On the other hand there seem to be random rules mixed in as well. Maybe they are that important, but they feel out of place. Maybe if you grouped it a bit: Setting, Characters, Combat, Magic or something like that?

I like the skills, or I like the skills that seem to of also replaced sections of one-off buys. I haven't tried it but it makes sense to me and makes skills more interesting that straight modifiers.

I also took a look at the Adventuring section. One thing bothered me: There does not seem to be rules for cold or snow. I understand that "north" does not mean "arctic"... but where are the rules for snow and cold? Might just be personally bias but I feel there should be rules for snow and cold around here somewhere.

Hey thanks! I do also think I need to group the nutshell section better. I've messed with it a few times. I think it will be one of the sections that I'll continue to mess with for as long as it's unpublished. But, also I thought I'd add some mechanical pieces to it, but I'm having some trouble transitioning to it. Do you feel it just doesn't fit there?

Tomorrow will actually be the first time my playgroup takes a stab at character creation (and maybe we'll squeeze in a little gameplay) since I've moved away from the 3.5e based rules, so I'll get to see first hand how players approach the skills. I'm very happy with the magic section (though we'll see if that holds up with playtesting), but skills section isn't quite as tidy and trim, so again keeping it open to big changes if something presents itself.

As far as snow, you are right, I have not added anything about terrain. I've taken on the philosophy of less is more, so I haven't gone to great lengths to try and explain every situation (trying to avoid going down a rabbit hole), however, snow'll be coming up a lot and frankly i just forgot to add a section on terrain, so next on the list.

Thanks again for looking through it. I keep it updated, so the dropbox link should always have the newest material, but unfortunately you have to download it to use the hyperlinks because for some reason the dropbox website won't do it. :/

Cluedrew
2016-10-11, 01:13 PM
That sounds good, and the usual sort of work in progress games are when you work on them.

I thought about it a bit and I think I know why the Snow & Cold struck me so. The system strikes me as being in the same vein as D&D. Given that there are really two things, that I can think of, you can do to make someone choose it over D&D. First is to fix a problem with D&D (and there are a lot of cracks at that) or tie it in closely with your setting for a more refined and focused experience.

The snow & cold would be a great instance of the second. Just a thought that I may disagree with tomorrow.

I completely missed the hyperlinks.

gtwucla
2016-10-11, 09:15 PM
That sounds good, and the usual sort of work in progress games are when you work on them.

I thought about it a bit and I think I know why the Snow & Cold struck me so. The system strikes me as being in the same vein as D&D. Given that there are really two things, that I can think of, you can do to make someone choose it over D&D. First is to fix a problem with D&D (and there are a lot of cracks at that) or tie it in closely with your setting for a more refined and focused experience.

The snow & cold would be a great instance of the second. Just a thought that I may disagree with tomorrow.

I completely missed the hyperlinks.

I think that has a lot to do with the lingo I use (I'm most familiar with D&D) and combat. I like the original combat process of D&D, so in that regard it is still very D&Dish with a few changes (though ultimately recognizable, the changes add up to a big departure). I would definitely like it to be more refined and will be sanding it down so to speak, until it's not only focused but intuitive. That's the goal anyway. Am thinking on the snow and cold. Let me know if anything pops into your head as well.

I was worried about those damn hyperlinks. There are literally thousands and you can toggle between lists and descriptions. It makes navigating the document much much easier.

gtwucla
2016-10-15, 10:48 AM
Finally figured out what I wanted to do with skills. Now instead of dropping in skill points, players will choose a specified number skills and gain bonuses in them. Somewhat like choosing a proficiency, but slightly different and easier to follow for new players (I hope).

Here's a new link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnb5upkhwt7gnp7/Northern%20Realm%20part%202%2C%20second%20edition. pdf?dl=0

gtwucla
2016-11-20, 07:13 PM
Here's the part where I come to the campaign setting. I've just finished adapting the creatures to the new system. Been testing it out with my playgroup and very nearly got my character killed after wisely splitting the party and going off on my own. At any rate, I'm happy with how it turned out and now I have a working handbook and a working campaign setting. Here's a link to the campaign setting: