PDA

View Full Version : Help a CS:GO Noob Get Good

8BitNinja
2016-09-11, 12:33 AM
So I just bought Counter Strike: Global Offensive recently and when I launched it, I had no idea what I was getting into.

I was killed countless times and I only got two kill assists across three games (45 matches).

Can I get some tips on how to play good?

Krazzman
2016-09-11, 12:48 AM
How to "GitGud" in Counterstrike:
1. go to YouTube and start following "TheWarOwl".
2. go to YouTube and search for Crosshair and mouse sensibility tutorials (semi-important).
3. Follow TheWarOwls advice as well as getting into Deathmatch (for killing things, start with one-tap training with an AK) to learn where to have your Crosshair at certain angles (Crosshair Placement)
4. Play a hell of a lot.
5. Don't be discouraged by flames, instead learn to communicate (proper calls) and never lose hope.
6. Learn PopFlashes and Smokes for key areas on Mirage, Cache and Dust2 (afaik most played maps).

Hope this helps. If you just want to rank up better to get out of Silver asap: Play with Friends.
But seriously spoken TheWarOwl has some awesomely good advice on his channel. Remember it's not CoD so try to always aim for the head and try to have your crosshair be at that position.

If you want to "GitGud" at Surfing or Bhopping I unfortunately can't help you (I suck at both and haven't found a good tutorial...)

Olinser
2016-09-11, 12:55 AM
So I just bought Counter Strike: Global Offensive recently and when I launched it, I had no idea what I was getting into.

I was killed countless times and I only got two kill assists across three games (45 matches).

Can I get some tips on how to play good?

I mean, not to be rude, but anybody that has any kind of experience with FPS games should be doing a lot better than that even the first time they touch the game.

Is your connection bad? You can't really get good at a game like CS if you have any kind of lag. If you have any kind of even moderate connection issues I would advise walking away until you can get a better one.

If your connection is fine then I would seriously suggest that you play with bots to get better reflexes and aiming.

Winthur
2016-09-11, 06:53 AM
Spam de_dust2 (only map without imbalances so you won't feel like on de_nuke where the score is always 16:14 for all the wrong reasons), play Deathmatch, learn to play with AK/M4/pistols/AWP.

I figure your definition of getting good would be "holding your own in a casual level game" so it's not like you have to learn all the tricknades and shots, just learn more or less how recoil works, how to aim and move. In Silver the only tactic employed is "let's rush B".

Preferrably find friends to play over Skype with, will make it feel better overall and solo queue for those kinds of games is boring and annoying anyway.

Therefore, the REAL ANSWER to your conundrum is to rush enemy base and stalk behind their backs with a MAG-7 or Nova for mad 900$ for every cheese kill then buy everyone AK/M4 when they lose and stick to the best gun in the game. Kablam!

8BitNinja
2016-09-12, 07:04 AM
How to "GitGud" in Counterstrike:
1. go to YouTube and start following "TheWarOwl".
2. go to YouTube and search for Crosshair and mouse sensibility tutorials (semi-important).
3. Follow TheWarOwls advice as well as getting into Deathmatch (for killing things, start with one-tap training with an AK) to learn where to have your Crosshair at certain angles (Crosshair Placement)
4. Play a hell of a lot.
5. Don't be discouraged by flames, instead learn to communicate (proper calls) and never lose hope.
6. Learn PopFlashes and Smokes for key areas on Mirage, Cache and Dust2 (afaik most played maps).

Hope this helps. If you just want to rank up better to get out of Silver asap: Play with Friends.
But seriously spoken TheWarOwl has some awesomely good advice on his channel. Remember it's not CoD so try to always aim for the head and try to have your crosshair be at that position.

If you want to "GitGud" at Surfing or Bhopping I unfortunately can't help you (I suck at both and haven't found a good tutorial...)

I'll dollow this advice, thank you.

I mean, not to be rude, but anybody that has any kind of experience with FPS games should be doing a lot better than that even the first time they touch the game.

Is your connection bad? You can't really get good at a game like CS if you have any kind of lag. If you have any kind of even moderate connection issues I would advise walking away until you can get a better one.

If your connection is fine then I would seriously suggest that you play with bots to get better reflexes and aiming.

My connection is okay, and I have played other FPS games (I got alright at TF2 before getting CS:GO). I'm not used to the pacing and the narrow corridors that are the maps. Thanks for the advice though.

Spam de_dust2 (only map without imbalances so you won't feel like on de_nuke where the score is always 16:14 for all the wrong reasons), play Deathmatch, learn to play with AK/M4/pistols/AWP.

I figure your definition of getting good would be "holding your own in a casual level game" so it's not like you have to learn all the tricknades and shots, just learn more or less how recoil works, how to aim and move. In Silver the only tactic employed is "let's rush B".

Preferrably find friends to play over Skype with, will make it feel better overall and solo queue for those kinds of games is boring and annoying anyway.

Therefore, the REAL ANSWER to your conundrum is to rush enemy base and stalk behind their backs with a MAG-7 or Nova for mad 900$ for every cheese kill then buy everyone AK/M4 when they lose and stick to the best gun in the game. Kablam!

I wil use this advice, thank you.

Krazzman
2016-09-13, 12:51 AM
I'll dollow this advice, thank you.

My connection is okay, and I have played other FPS games (I got alright at TF2 before getting CS:GO). I'm not used to the pacing and the narrow corridors that are the maps. Thanks for the advice though.

I wil use this advice, thank you.

In CS:GO you basically have only 4 skills that are important: Game Sense, Map Sense, Reflexes and Aim.

GameSense will come when you play Competetive.
MapSense will or should come when you play Deathmatch.
Reflexes and Aim(crosshair placement and spraypattern) are better actively trained in specific scenarios.

8BitNinja
2016-09-13, 02:44 AM
In CS:GO you basically have only 4 skills that are important: Game Sense, Map Sense, Reflexes and Aim.

GameSense will come when you play Competetive.
MapSense will or should come when you play Deathmatch.
Reflexes and Aim(crosshair placement and spraypattern) are better actively trained in specific scenarios.

I guess I can train the last 3 in bot mode and the first by just playing competitive. Thanks for tellling me this.

RagingKrikkit
2016-09-25, 02:23 AM
Another Youtuber who can be helpful is 3kliksphillip (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmu9PVIZBk-ZCi-Sk2F2utA). I'd describe him as being the theory to WarOwl's practice, which perhaps makes him a bit less helpful for beginners, but he does a lot of work looking into (and often debunking) rumors that fly around the CS:GO scene. Also, I'm looking into getting back into competitive, so whenever you're ready for that, I'd be more than willing to gang up with you.