PDA

View Full Version : Ways of gaining immunity to damage

flappeercraft
2016-09-11, 02:02 AM
So many times I have heard on this forum that there are ways of getting immunity to damage. Although I see it mentioned a lot I have yet to see a way it is possible, the closest I can come is an item with continuous delay death but that after negative HP would leave you unconscious and anyone can take your item and you automatically die so it is almost a waste of money. Any help?

LTwerewolf
2016-09-11, 02:11 AM
Gain immunity to nonlethal damage. Gain regeneration. Gain immunity to the regeneration weakness. There's multiple ways of doing each of these things.

Name1
2016-09-11, 02:13 AM
Delay Death + Beastland Ferocity/Diehard accomplishes this (however, you may die should you hit EXACTLY -10 hit points), so does War Troll regeneration + Energy Immunity (Acid) + Favor of the Martyr.

flappeercraft
2016-09-11, 02:14 AM
Gain immunity to nonlethal damage. Gain regeneration. Gain immunity to the regeneration weakness. There's multiple ways of doing each of these things.

Is there a way to get regeneration with weakness to sonic? I have immunity to it due to some Chronotyrin fusion shenanigans

Name1
2016-09-11, 02:20 AM
Is there a way to get regeneration with weakness to sonic? I have immunity to it due to some Chronotyrin fusion shenanigans

TROLL, CRYSTALLINE, MM III p. 178 has such a regeneration.

Rebel7284
2016-09-11, 02:53 AM
There is also the Hide Life spell.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-11, 03:47 AM
Manipulate Form (with Shapechange, Assume Supernatural Ability, or a friendly Sarrukh) can grant any extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability. Manipulate Form doesn't allow you to write your own abilities (because, not being printed in an official source, they don't have typing as ex, su, or sp), but give yourself Singular Enemy, and you're pretty much set. If you want, you can also use it to get arbitrarily high ability scores:

1. Acquire a perfectly loyal intelligent ally with spell-like Dominate Person.
2. Use Manipulate Form to increase all of their ability scores to match yours (or yours to match theirs, if theirs are higher).
3. Increase each of their ability scores by 5 via spell-like Wishes.
4. Have them use Manipulate Form to increase all of your ability scores to match theirs.
5. Ally uses spell-like Wishes to increase each of your ability scores by 5.
6. Use Manipulate Form to increase all of their ability scores to match yours.
7. Repeat 3-6 until satisfied.

Fusion+Astral Seed (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4702.0) can do the above and can also get untyped abilities, which includes spellcasting.

Erit
2016-09-11, 11:34 AM
Manipulate Form (with Shapechange, Assume Supernatural Ability, or a friendly Sarrukh) can grant any extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability. Manipulate Form doesn't allow you to write your own abilities (because, not being printed in an official source, they don't have typing as ex, su, or sp), but give yourself Singular Enemy, and you're pretty much set. If you want, you can also use it to get arbitrarily high ability scores:

2. Use Manipulate Form to increase all of their ability scores to match yours (or yours to match theirs, if theirs are higher).
4. Have them use Manipulate Form to increase all of your ability scores to match theirs.

Fusion+Astral Seed (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4702.0) can do the above and can also get untyped abilities, which includes spellcasting.

I knew the minute I saw the thread title that Pun-Pun would be referenced.

As for the original question; LTwerewolf's method is the most efficient.

flappeercraft
2016-09-11, 01:01 PM

I don't want pun pun for my character, I want to make him really powerful but not pun pun level broken

Jowgen
2016-09-11, 01:19 PM
Wear a Headband of Ferocity (S&F, accomplishes the same thing as Diehard), acquire an Eternal Wand of Delay Death (in a wand chamber), and the ability to cast Hallow as a SLA (e.g. Half-Celestial Template).

You can now, as a Standard Action, cast hallow on the area you're in and, as a Swift action, cast Delay death to tie it to the hallow spell. For the next year, you (and any other creature in that area that meets the parameters you set) will not die from hit-point damage, and as long as your Headband of Ferocity functions, you will remain able to fight regardless of how much hit-point damage you take.

This approach locks you in place, so it's mainly useful for defending places.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-11, 01:29 PM
I don't want pun pun for my character, I want to make him really powerful but not pun pun level broken

Immunity to damage without resorting to nabbing poorly-written monster abilities is pretty much limited to Delay Death + Beastlands Ferocity AFAIK.

This approach locks you in place, so it's mainly useful for defending places.

Does it work with Acorn of Far Travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a)?

Hiro Quester
2016-09-11, 02:06 PM
The luck feat Tempting fate:

once per day, whenever you have at least 1 hit point remaining and would be dealt enough damage to kill you, you can expend one luck reroll as an immediate action to take only enough damage to reduce you to -9 hit points. You automatically stabilize.

Done. As long as you have one luck reroll (you get one with the feat), and a healer nearby (or a contingency healing spell) then taking damage cannot not kill you.

Big Fau
2016-09-11, 03:06 PM
The luck feat Tempting fate:

Done. As long as you have one luck reroll (you get one with the feat), and a healer nearby (or a contingency healing spell) then taking damage cannot not kill you.

Once per day.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-11, 03:13 PM
Once per day.

How often do you plan on getting killed?

Inevitability
2016-09-11, 03:16 PM
Ocean Giant and Zodar combined together are immune to all damage. There's various ways to do this.

How often do you plan on getting killed?

Considered you'll be massively weakened within reach of whatever almost killed you, I'd plan on 'more than once'.

Psyren
2016-09-11, 03:24 PM
Considered you'll be massively weakened within reach of whatever almost killed you, I'd plan on 'more than once'.

Bluff check to play dead?

LTwerewolf
2016-09-11, 03:50 PM
Important note: "immunity to damage" does not mean "immunity to becoming dead." If you're looking to become entirely immune from any and all reprisal it's more complicated. It's spelled out with the emerald legion post from awhile back. IIRC there's one bit that's iffy, but that one bit isn't 100% necessary for the immunity to bad things, it's just an extra.

Necroticplague
2016-09-11, 04:10 PM
There's also Pawn of the Great Game+immunity to ability drain (or a Strongheart Vest bound to Waist Chakra with a point of essentia in it)+a decent FORT save. Instead of dying when you go from positive to -10 or less, you make a pretty easy FORT save. Success leaves you at 1 HP. Steadfast Determination so that even nat1s can't do you in, and you're golden.

Zanos
2016-09-11, 04:35 PM
There is also the Hide Life spell.
This is probably the most straightforward way. It's a 9th, and you're staggered when your health is negative, but you can never die to hit point damage.

Hiro Quester
2016-09-11, 05:39 PM

Craft contingent spell: heal. Set to go off when I use that luck reroll.

That kind of death insurance is still pretty good. It ain't immunity to taking the damage. But it's immunity to being killed by damage (once/day). I'll take it.

Cerefel
2016-09-12, 09:28 AM
IIRC there's a high level Crusader stance that makes you unable to die from HP damage