PDA

View Full Version : New Bloodlines

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 02:23 PM
Okay. So recently, I sat down and really took a good look at Bloodlines in Unearthed Arcana, and I have to say I fell in love with the system. I find it a lot better than applying Templates for player characters, which can lead to severely overpowered characters. So I sat down and thought up a few new bloodlines, with the following being the first to be completed.

Ghost Bloodline:
A Ghost bloodline is a rare thing. It requires the blessing of a deity somewhere in the history of a person's heritage, where a ghost is, with the blessing, allowed to impregnate his true love. Those whom hold this heritage tend to have very pale skin and oddly colored hair, and tend to be somewhat frail. They seem possessed of a stronger force of personality than most, however, and many have gone on to become well-liked and well-loved leaders.

Ghost
{table=head]Level|Minor|Intermediate|Major|

1st|-|-|+2 Hide|

2nd|-|+2 Hide|Slow Fall (20ft)|

3rd|-|-|Charisma +1|

4th|+2 Hide|Slow Fall (20ft)|Resistance to Fire 5 (Ex)|

5th|-|-|Ghost Affinity +2|

6th|-|Charisma +1|Natural Armor +1|

7th|-|-|+2 Listen|

8th|Slow Fall (20ft)|Resistance to Fire 5 (Ex)|Resistance to Electricity 5 (Ex)|

9th|-|-|Charisma +1|

10th|-|Ghost Affinity +2|Slow Fall (40ft)|

11th|-|-|Ghost Affinity +4|

12th|Charisma+1|Natural Armor +1|Slow Fall (60ft)|

13th|-|-|+2 Spot|

14th|-|+2 Listen|Slow Fall (80ft)|

15th|-|-|Charisma +1|

16th|Resistance to Fire 5 (Ex)|Resistance to Electricity 5 (Ex)|Corrupting Gaze 1/day (Su)|

17th|-|-|Ghost Affinity +6|

18th|-|Charisma +1|Telekinesis 2/day (Su)|

19th|-|-|+2 Search|

20th|Ghost Affinity +2|Slow Fall (40ft)|Draining Touch (Su) 1/day|[/table]

Corrupting Gaze (Su):
As Ghost ability, but only 1d8 damage and 1d2 Charisma damage, rather than 2d10 and 1d4. Usable once per day.

Telekinesis (Su):
Twice per day. Sustained force or violent thrust only. DC is 10 + CHA modifier.

Draining Touch (Su):
As Ghost ability, usable once per day.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 04:01 PM
Medusa Bloodline:

It is an odd thing, a descendant of a Medusa. The bloodline has degraded enough to keep the possessor of this blood from being a truly powerful force by right of blood, but it is enough to afford some strange abilities. A possessor of the Medusa bloodline is usually attractive for their race and finds that when they speak, others tend to listen.

Medusa Bloodline

1st|-|-| +2 Bluff|

2nd|-| +2 Bluff|Darkvision (20ft)|

3rd|-|-|Charisma +1|

4th| +2 Bluff|Darkvision (20ft)|Resistance to Acid 5 (Ex)|

5th|-|-|Medusa Affinity +2|

6th|-|Charisma +1|Improved Initiative|

7th|-|-|+2 Diplomacy|

8th|Darkvision (20ft)|Resistance to Acid 5 (Ex)|+2 to Fort save vs Poisons (Ex)|

9th|-|-|Dexterity +1|

10th|-|Medusa Affinity +2|Darkvision (40ft)|

11th|-|-|Medusa Affinity +4|

12th|Charisma+1|Improved Initiative|Darkvision(60ft)|

13th|-|-|+2 Disguise (+3 acting)|

14th|-|+2 Diplomacy|Darkvision (80ft)|

15th|-|-|Strength +1|

16th|Resistance to Acid 5 (Ex)|+2 to Fort save vs Poisons (Ex)|Seductive Gaze 1/day (Ex)|

17th|-|-|Medusa Affinity +6|

18th|-|Dexterity +1|Burning Gaze 1/day(Ex)|

19th|-|-|+2 on Intimidate|

20th|Medusa Affinity +2|Darkvision (40ft)|Paralyzing Gaze 1/day(Ex)|[/table]
Seductive Gaze 1/day (Ex):
By making a successful gaze attack (DC is Reflex-based), the seductive gaze makes the target act friendlier towards the target. Improve attitude towards the user of Seductive Gaze by 2 degrees. Reflex save negates. Usable once per day.

Burning Gaze 1/day (Ex):
By making a successful gaze attack, the Burning Gaze can hurt, perhaps even kill. With a smoldering stare, the user of Burning Gaze can cause blindness and 1d4 fire damage per every 3 character levels. The blindness effect lasts 1d4 + 1 for every 4 character level rounds. Reflex save negates. Usable once per day.

Paralyzing Gaze 1/day (Ex):
By making a successful gaze attack, the paralyzing gaze does precisely what its name does: it bores into the target's mind and renders them unable to move for 1d4 rounds, + 1 for every 4 character levels. A succesful reflex save can negate the attack, but if the reflex save is failed, a successful will save will prevent the target from being paralyzed in any case. Usable once per day.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 04:10 PM
Lamia Bloodline:
One can't help but wonder what could have possibly happened to create the existence of this bloodline. The Book of Impitude refuses to detail such acts. Those whom bear the blood of a Lamia tend to have thick, full hair, and males seem to be particularly hairy, while females tend to be sleeker and smoother.

Lamia Bloodline

1st|-|-|+2 Bluff|

2nd|-|+2 Bluff|Low-Light Vision|

3rd|-|-|Strength +1|

4th| +2 Bluff|Low-Light Vision|+1 to Will saves|

5th|-|-|Lamia Affinity +2|

6th|-|Strength +1|Iron Will|

7th|-|-|+2 Hide|

8th|Low-light Vision|+1 on Will saves|+1 on Fort saves|

9th|-|-|Constitution +1|

10th|-|Lamia Affinity +2|Dodge|

11th|-|-|Lamia Affinity +4|

12th|Strength +1|Iron Will|Darkvision(60ft)|

13th|-|-|+4 Bluff|

14th|-|+2 Hide|+10 base land speed|

15th|-|-|Dexterity +1|

16th|+1 on Will saves|+1 on Fort saves|Disguise Self 1/day (Su)|

17th|-|-|Lamia Affinity +6|

18th|-|Constitution +1|Mirror Image 1/day, Disguise Self 2/day (Su)|

19th|-|-|+1 on Reflex saves|

20th|Lamia Affinity +2|Dodge|Deep Slumber 1/day, Mirror Image 2/day, Disguise Self 3/day|[/table]

All supernatural abilities use the highest-level class a character possesses for caster level.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 04:29 PM
Aquatic Bloodline:
Those whom hold the Aquatic bloodline tend to linger near seas, lakes, or other large bodies of water. They are often somewhat distant from the rest of their race, preferring to spend their time in quiet contemplation of the waters and communing with the creatures that live within. Occasionally, they are also possessed of gills somewhere on their body that allow them to breathe underwater.

Aquatic Bloodline
{table=head]Level|Minor|Intermediate|

1st|-|-|

2nd|-|Base Swim Speed 20ft|

3rd|-|-|

4th|Base Swim Speed 20ft|Underwater Vision 40ft|

5th|-|-|

6th|-|Charisma +1|

7th|-|-|

8th|Underwater Vision 40ft|Speak With Aquatic Creatures (Su)|

9th|-|-|

10th|-|Aquatic Affinity +2|

11th|-|-|

12th|Charisma +1|Amphibious (Ex)|

13th|-|-|

14th|-|+2 Swim|

15th|-|-|

16th|Speak With Aquatic Creatures (Ex)|Skill Focus (Swim) or +2 to Profession (sailor)|

17th|-|-|

18th|-|Constitution +1|

19th|-|-|

20th|Aquatic Affinity +2|Command Aquatic Creatures (Ex)|[/table]

Underwater Vision (Ex):
The creature can see clearly underwater out to a distance specified above with no penalties.

Speak with Aquatic Creatures (Ex):
The character can make any creature that possesses the Aquatic subtype understand him or her, and can in turn understand them, as if they were speaking the same language.

Command Aquatic Creatures (Su):
The possessor of an Aquatic bloodline may speak to and command any creature with the Aquatic subtype to do its bidding, though if the command is strangely alien to the Aquatic creature or if it goes against the creature's nature, they are allowed a will save (DC 15) to ignore the command. If the creature succeeds its will save, the character may attempt to make a Diplomacy check to convince the creature to do what it says in spite of it. (+10 to DC of Diplomacy check)

Amphibious (Ex):
The creature becomes amphibious, and can freely switch between breathing underwater or walking on land.

Base Swim Speed:
All creatures with this bloodline gain a base swim speed of 20ft. If the base creature has a swim speed, it gains a +5 to its base swim speed. Almost all of those whom bear the Aquatic bloodline are natural swimmers.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 04:41 PM
Illithids are vicious, evil creatures that enslaves and kills others. It is no surprise that there are those whom have the blood of these foul creatures somewhere in their heritage.

Illithid Bloodline

1st|-|-|+2 to Bluff or Autohypnosis|

2nd|-|+2 Bluff or Autohypnosis|Low-light Vision|

3rd|-|-|Intelligence +1|

4th|+2 Bluff or Autohypnosis|Low-light Vision|+2 to Diplomacy or Autohypnosis|

5th|-|-|Illithid Affinity +2|

6th|-|Intelligence +1|Combat Casting or Weapon Focus(any)|

7th|-|-|+2 Intimidate or Spellcraft|

8th|Low-Light Vision|+2 Diplomacy or Autohypnosis|Skill Focus (Autohypnosis) or Skill Focus (Spellcraft)|

9th|-|-|Wisdom +1|

10th|-|Illithid Affinity +2|Weapon Focus (any)|

11th|-|-|Illithid Affinity +4|

12th|Intelligence +1|Combat Casting or Weapon Focus|Darkvision 60ft|

13th|-|-|+2 Knowledge (arcana) or Autohypnosis|

14th|-|+2 Intimidate or Spellcraft|Improved Initiative|

15th|-|-|Charisma +1|

16th|+2 Diplomacy or Autohypnosis|Skill Focus (Autohypnosis) or Skill Focus (Spellcraft)|Psionics (Sp)|

17th|-|-|Illithid Affinity +6|

18th|-|Wisdom +1|Psionics (Sp)|

19th|-|-|Improved Grab|

20th|Illithid Affinity +2|Weapon Focus (any)|Mind Blast 1/day (Sp)|[/table]

In any case where it says +2 to skill or skill, only apply Autohypnosis if the character possesses a class from Expanded Psionics Handbook or Complete Psionics. Otherwise, the opposing skill gains the +2 bonus.

Psionics (Sp):
The character may choose an ability to use a number of times/day equal to class level from the following list: (In the case of multi-class characters, only the highest level class applies for determining uses/day)
Charm Monster
Detect Thoughts
Levitate
Suggestion

Saves are DC 10 + 1/2 character level + Charisma modifier (if any, minimum 0)

Mind Blast (Sp):
As mindflayer ability, with following changes:
DC 13 + Intelligence modifier
Lasts 1 round.
Usable once/day.

Rama_Lei
2007-07-08, 04:49 PM
I think it'd be appreciated if you formatted it in the way the SRD has it. Other then, that, I like it.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 04:53 PM
I think it'd be appreciated if you formatted it in the way the SRD has it. Other then, that, I like it.

Were I capable of figuring out the table codes to do so, I would.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 05:00 PM
Rakshasa Bloodline:
Rakshasa are cruel and proud creatures, so it begs the question how this bloodline came about in the first place. However it came about, those whom possess it tend to be strong, intelligent creatures that can weave a spell of words.

Rakshasa Bloodline

1st|-|-|+2 to Bluff|

2nd|-|+2 Bluff|Darkvision 20ft|

3rd|-|-|Intelligence +1|

4th|+2 Bluff|Darkvision 20ft|+2 to Intimidate|

5th|-|-|Rakshasa Affinity +2|

6th|-|Intelligence +1|Combat Casting|

7th|-|-|+2 Spellcraft|

8th|Darkvision 20ft|+2 Intimidate|Alertness|

9th|-|-|Strength +1|

10th|-|Rakshasa Affinity +2|Dodge|

11th|-|-|Rakshasa Affinity +4|

12th|Intelligence +1|Combat Casting|Darkvision 40ft|

13th|-|-|+2 Concentration

14th|-|+2 Spellcraft|Improved Initiative|

15th|-|-|Constitution +1|

16th|+2 Intimidate|Alertness|Detect Thoughts (Su)|

17th|-|-|Rakshasa Affinity +6|

18th|-|Strength +1|Change Shape 1/day|

19th|-|-|+1 Natural Armor Class|

20th|Rakshasa Affinity +2|Dodge|Damage Reduction 5/good and piercing|[/table]

Rakshasa Affinity: As most Rakshasa would likely kill an offshoot of their race outright, this applies only to those associated closely with Rakshasa, such as temporary allies or prisoners of the Rakshasa.

Detect Thoughts (Su):
As the Rakshasa ability, but only a number of times/day equal to class level (In the case of multi-class, only the highest-level class is used to determine uses/day).

Change Shape (Su):
As the Rakshasa ability, but only once a day.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 06:02 PM
Okay, all reformatted into tables after some playing around with them and figuring out the code. Should be clearer to read. More bloodlines to come as I peruse the MM1-3 and find more interesting things to create.

Callix
2007-07-08, 07:48 PM
Aquatic Bloodline shouldn't have to be Major to grant Amphibious. Compare that to the Illithid (Mind Blast at will) and Ghost (Draining Touch) capstones, and the aquatic bloodline doesn't give you much for 3 levels. Try more swim speed (as most bloodline creatures aren't aquatic anyway), and maybe Water Mastery (as Water Elemental) for a Major capstone. Or maybe cut the Major line entirely

RelentlessImp
2007-07-08, 08:47 PM
Aquatic has been retooled into an Intermediate bloodline and fixed somewhat to be a bit more of a viable choice.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-09, 07:12 AM
Now you can make Aquaman.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 07:51 AM
Now you can make Aquaman.

And what a useless character that would be... Aquaman was only good when he was underwater and surrounded by fish. And besides... what kind of hero relies on FISH to do their job?

Anyways. More to come this evening! Let me know if anyone who sees these decides to use them and how it works out; I'm going to be running a Ghost bloodline through a game or two here pretty shortly. Or an Illithid bloodline. One or the other.

Triaxx
2007-07-09, 12:15 PM
He was useless, but our tridents are better.

Illithid bloodline? Sounds like something that came about after a session of Japanese 'adult entertainment'. I love the idea.

How about a Ghast bloodline, with that neat paralyzing power? Maybe as an intermediate bloodline.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-09, 12:27 PM
How about bloodlines with weaker-than-base creatures as Flaws, of sorts, or MUCH weaker-than-base creatures to offer negative LAs? Just thinking along the same reversal lines that spawned the negative metamagic thread. Although, I don't know if you'd be able to cobble together enough major penalties for it to make sense. Meh, might be worth a shot.

Theodoxus
2007-07-09, 12:48 PM
I have the same issue with Half-Illithid as I do with your Illithid bloodline - it doesn't jive with the reproductive cycle of Illithids as outlined in the official material.

As a monster in its own right - like Half-ogres which are a unique race, but couldn't come up with a better name - they might work. Or as the genetic precursor to the mighty Illithid, I could see - as they obviously came from something before the end of the universe when they travel back in time to reseed themselves.

To me, bloodlines only work if the genetics (or at the very least, magical experimentation) work. (And catgirls be damned.)

Sure, it's a very opened system when godlings and archmages are involved - but that just skirts the issue, imo. A Dues Ex Machina, if you will, to allow for the emo dark elves and half orcs with a lone tenticle waggling below his left eye, of the world.

I'm noy trying to rain on the parade - I do like the idea, for the most part - just I also like my games with a little common sense. meh.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 12:58 PM
I have the same issue with Half-Illithid as I do with your Illithid bloodline - it doesn't jive with the reproductive cycle of Illithids as outlined in the official material.

As a monster in its own right - like Half-ogres which are a unique race, but couldn't come up with a better name - they might work. Or as the genetic precursor to the mighty Illithid, I could see - as they obviously came from something before the end of the universe when they travel back in time to reseed themselves.

To me, bloodlines only work if the genetics (or at the very least, magical experimentation) work. (And catgirls be damned.)

Sure, it's a very opened system when godlings and archmages are involved - but that just skirts the issue, imo. A Dues Ex Machina, if you will, to allow for the emo dark elves and half orcs with a lone tenticle waggling below his left eye, of the world.

I'm noy trying to rain on the parade - I do like the idea, for the most part - just I also like my games with a little common sense. meh.

Damn. That is a very good point. I forgot completely about the Illithid larval system of reproducing when I was writing up the bloodline. I may scrap it, but I think I can conjure enough fluff and change it slightly into something feasible. It'll have to be changed somewhat to fit, but I'll work on it.

...Anyone know any other strong psionic creatures? :P

Mordokai
2007-07-09, 01:05 PM
I like most of these bloodlines. I only found about them a short while ago, and I also am quite fond of them. Just one question. Does any of them have any drawbacks? Major vampire bloodline has vulnerability to fire, sunlight and 50% to be rebuked. Anything similar here?

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 01:10 PM
I like most of these bloodlines. I only found about them a short while ago, and I also am quite fond of them. Just one question. Does any of them have any drawbacks? Major vampire bloodline has vulnerability to fire, sunlight and 50% to be rebuked. Anything similar here?

I just went and reread through the Bloodlines section in UA 3.5, and saw nothing of the sort. Unless it was a variant for including weaknesses along with benefits to a bloodline...?

Poppatomus
2007-07-09, 01:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithids

From the stuff there, I'd say that it would be pretty straight forward to have an illithid that either still had the desire to procreate (to use a euphamism) with members of its species or a failed implantation that managed to escape destruction and reproduce within its own population. Even without creating the adversary there's alot of space to have a sexually active illithid within the existing fluff. [Also, as i understand it, they are hermaphroditic not sexless. Thus they could reproduce if the mood struck, even if they don't have to or usually desire to.]

Very nice work on these by the way.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 01:40 PM
Ghoul Bloodline:
The joining of Ghouls and the living isn't very common, but it does happen, usually at the command of an evil Necromancer in order to torture victims. Rarely does this result in a communion, but when it does, descendants from that union possess an unusually tough skin and sunken, corpse-like features.

Ghoul Bloodline

1st|-|-|

2nd|-|Intimidate +2|

3rd|-|-|

4th|Intimidate +2|Toughness|

5th|-|-|

6th|-|Constitution +1|

7th|-|-|

8th|Toughness|Light Fortification|

9th|-|-|

10th|-|Zombie Affinity +2|

11th|-|-|

12th|Constitution +1|Stench 1/day (Sp)|

13th|-|-|

14th|-|Bluff +2|

15th|-|-|

16th|Light Fortification|Moderate Fortification|

17th|-|-|

18th|-|Strength +1|

19th|-|-|

20th|Zombie Affinity +2|Paralysis 3/day(Ex)|[/table]

Stench (Sp)
Upon gaining this ability, once per day the bearer of the Ghoul bloodline may conjure an overpowering stench, centered upon itself. Living creatures within 10 feet must make a DC 12 Fortitude save or be sickened for 1d4+2 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Fortification (Light, Moderate):
As the armor abilities of the same name. The bearer of the Ghoul bloodline's skin gradually becomes tougher, making it harder to penetrate and strike vital spots.

Paralysis (Ex)
Three times per day, a bearer of the Ghoul bloodline may make a touch attack to Paralyze a target, Fort DC 12 to negate. This functions as a Ghoul's paralysis, and as such, elves gain immunity to it. The save DC is Charisma-based. The paralysis last 1d4 rounds.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 01:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithids

From the stuff there, I'd say that it would be pretty straight forward to have an illithid that either still had the desire to procreate (to use a euphamism) with members of its species or a failed implantation that managed to escape destruction and reproduce within its own population. Even without creating the adversary there's alot of space to have a sexually active illithid within the existing fluff. [Also, as i understand it, they are hermaphroditic not sexless. Thus they could reproduce if the mood struck, even if they don't have to or usually desire to.]

Very nice work on these by the way.

From the use of hermaphrodite in the context given in the Wiki article, the proper word to have been used would be 'asexual'. There is no mention of requiring another Illithid's assistance to spawn their larva.

And thank you for the compliment. ^_^

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 01:55 PM
How about bloodlines with weaker-than-base creatures as Flaws, of sorts, or MUCH weaker-than-base creatures to offer negative LAs? Just thinking along the same reversal lines that spawned the negative metamagic thread. Although, I don't know if you'd be able to cobble together enough major penalties for it to make sense. Meh, might be worth a shot.

>.> I could do something like that with a Goblin bloodline or other 1/2 CR creature. I just don't know if the creature would actually be potent enough to persist through the generations in a bloodline.

Poppatomus
2007-07-09, 02:14 PM
From the use of hermaphrodite in the context given in the Wiki article, the proper word to have been used would be 'asexual'. There is no mention of requiring another Illithid's assistance to spawn their larva.

True, but I read it as hermaphrodidic in the same way as a tape worm. Meaning they have male and female sex organs, which they use to fertilize in solitude(unlike human hermaphrodites that usually have one set of organs being infertile/non-functional). It doesn't seem like they create the larvae as a result of truly asexual reproduction like budding or cloning, though who knows if their sex organs are anything remotely similar to those of other creatures (and if someone out there does know, please, please don't share). Even with that, I still think that an incomplete implantation would still be enough to start the bloodline without resorting to "a wizard did it."

slapdash
2007-07-09, 02:23 PM

That was something I houseruled for a game I was running on here recently, which I used in lieu of the level loss for taking a bloodline. Should I be flattered that it was taken as core? :smallwink:

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-09, 02:28 PM
>.> I could do something like that with a Goblin bloodline or other 1/2 CR creature. I just don't know if the creature would actually be potent enough to persist through the generations in a bloodline.

As a magical species, why would the genetic effect of a dragon ancestor leave a bigger imprint than that of a gobbo ancestor? You could argue genetic similarity, but then, vampire bloodline.

I think making one would be valid the way the rules work.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 03:11 PM
As a magical species, why would the genetic effect of a dragon ancestor leave a bigger imprint than that of a gobbo ancestor? You could argue genetic similarity, but then, vampire bloodline.

I think making one would be valid the way the rules work.

I don't think a negative LA would work for the bloodlines, considering you'll still have to take Bloodline levels in order to gain any of the bonuses. Doing the reverse doesn't make sense, the way these are set up, really.

On a side note: My laptop has died. I no longer have access to my books. Therefore, there will be no new bloodlines (or only SRD creatures) until my laptop is fixed/declared dead and I get a 2.5" external enclosure for the HDD.

Poppatomus
2007-07-09, 03:17 PM
Sucks on the lap top. Good luck with that.

Would be interesting to see this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/treant.htm)bloodline IMO, even if the mechanics of the bloodline's creation would be a bit troublesome to work out (not to mention removing the splinters afterwards.)

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 03:48 PM
I've been shying away from creating construct bloodlines and plant bloodlines. They just don't seem to mesh very well with what are supposed to be humanoids. So I've been sticking to humanoid-to-humanoid (or in the case of the Illithid, aberration to humanoid, even though technically they're humanoids) whenever I can.

However, if you can work out a compelling reason beyond why "A wizard did it." I will puzzle out the bloodline (likely as an intermediate) for you.

Poppatomus
2007-07-09, 04:08 PM
don't worry about it I had figured you were specifically avoiding plants and its likely very wise. Though I honestly think it would be interesting to apply the bloodline mechanic to a plant like origin, I think you are correct about the fluff. I think I was just overcome by the desire to make the terrible joke that ended my previous post. (also, I went to see if there was anything interesting at SRD given your current predicament) Besides, Fax's Photosynthetic template fills the void of plant-men rather nicely, so the need is not acute.

Triaxx
2007-07-09, 08:02 PM
Plants are easy, since one of the most common methods of reproduction, is to use spores. This easily opens up both Myconid, and Umberhulk blood lines.

JackMage666
2007-07-09, 08:30 PM
Normally, Bloodline abilities are not usable at will. When it's things like Mind Blast, Gaze Attacks that Paralyze, or Telekinesis, it's troublesome. I don't think there's any Bloodlines in UA that give similiar abilities.

EDIT - Checked. Very few spell like abilities are used in bloodlines, and they're weak when they are. Some 20th level Bloodstones give things like Speak with Animal 1/day, Create/Destroy Water 1/day, or Spider Climb 1/day. Damage reduction is common, as is Energy Immunity. I don't think I saw anything usable at will, so I'd limit any ability down to 1/day, although the Gaze attacks for the Medusa may be too powerful as is. Mind Blast should be reduced to 1 round, and usable 1/day. The ghosts abilities should be reduced to 1/day as well.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-09, 09:29 PM
Normally, Bloodline abilities are not usable at will. When it's things like Mind Blast, Gaze Attacks that Paralyze, or Telekinesis, it's troublesome. I don't think there's any Bloodlines in UA that give similiar abilities.

EDIT - Checked. Very few spell like abilities are used in bloodlines, and they're weak when they are. Some 20th level Bloodstones give things like Speak with Animal 1/day, Create/Destroy Water 1/day, or Spider Climb 1/day. Damage reduction is common, as is Energy Immunity. I don't think I saw anything usable at will, so I'd limit any ability down to 1/day, although the Gaze attacks for the Medusa may be too powerful as is. Mind Blast should be reduced to 1 round, and usable 1/day. The ghosts abilities should be reduced to 1/day as well.

These are good points. Unfortunately I can't check myself... doesn't the Vampire Bloodline also have a 3% chance to rise as a Vampire when slain? Or is that the half-vampire template I'm thinking of? If it's the former, I could apply something similar to the Ghost and Ghoul bloodline...

Anyways. Yeah. Damage reduction seems far too common (hence the Rakshasa bloodline's way mediocre capstone), so I thought I'd spice things up a bit with some At Will abilities. Are these capstones potentially game-breaking at 20th, where you'll probably have much, much better attacks? I think I need to reread the descriptions of Supernatural and Extraordinary abilities to get a really good understanding of how they actually work.

Also, I thought that the 3 levels you'd have to take for Major would offset that, since you potentially (for primary spellcasters and a few others) cripple yourself, since, while bloodline levels stack for spell DCs and qualifying for class abilities, familiars and such, they don't grant actual spells per day or bonus feats. Which is why I've placed the potentially game-breaking stuff only in Major bloodlines and cut off the Minor and Intermediate's access to them.

Anyways, enough rationalization. In the matter of fixing them, I really can't do anything to most of them until I learn my laptop's fate (which could be anywhere between tomorrow and three weeks from now) as it has all my books and a number of the creatures I based them on weren't released to the SRD. (Illithid, for instance.)

Also, what does everyone think, if I'm going to start doing the occasional plant and aberration bloodline, of a Beholder bloodline?

JackMage666
2007-07-09, 10:02 PM
Well... They get alot more than just the capstone ability is the thing. The 3 Bloodline levels are alot more helpful than a LA, and you normally get skill bonuses, ability bonuses, resitances to energy, natural armor, feats, and hordes of other things. Basically, yes, it is unfair that a character would get a Mind Flayers Mind Blast at will, along with all those other things. A Paralysis gaze is even worse, since a failed save is instant death for most (coup de grace). Casters have limits on kill/day spells, and paralysis is actually a bit more helpful than a kill spell, since you can also just leave them if you want.
Yes, these are overpowered.

mauslin
2007-07-09, 11:06 PM
As far as Illithid Bloodline goes, why don't you use the same fluff as the Sorcerer Illthid Bloodline Feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Illithid_Bloodline,all)? i.e. the bloodline was created by experimentation.

There's also a Plant Bloodline Feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Plant_Bloodline,all)

RelentlessImp
2007-07-10, 03:18 PM
Okay. Limitations and depowering of some abilities has taken place. They should be less powerful now.

RelentlessImp
2007-07-12, 03:35 PM
Shadow Bloodline:
Mortals often traipse into the Demiplane of Shadow, whether they be Wizards or merely associates with those whom can travel across planes. Quite often, they encounter Shadows. Even on a non-elemental plane, these encounters happen, most often in places deep beneath the earth. Most times, this contact is hostile; other times, it can be peaceful. And rarest, it can be a lead-in to a close alliance. Most times a Shadow is seen is a Cleric whom follows a God of Death and can conjure an avatar from that dark demiplane. Whatever the means, occasionally, there is the interaction of a Shadow and a mortal that leads to the birth of a strange creature, and that bloodline persists throughout the generations.

Shadow Bloodline

1st|-|-|

2nd|-|+2 Hide|

3rd|-|-|

4th|+2 Hide|Darkvision 20ft|

5th|-|-|

6th|-|Dexterity +1|

7th|-|-|

8th|Darkvision 20ft|Darkvision 40ft|

9th|-|-|

10th|-|Shadow Affinity +2|

11th|-|-|

12th|Dexterity +1|Alertness|

13th|-|-|

14th|-|+2 Search|

15th|-|-|

16th|Darkvision 40ft|Darkvision 60ft|

17th|-|-|

18th|-|Constitution +1|

19th|-|-|

20th|Shadow Affinity +2|Strength Damage 1/day (Ex)|[/table]

Darkvision: The creature gains Darkvision out to the distance specified. If the creature already possesses Darkvision, add 10ft to its range.

Strength Damage 1/day (Ex):
Once per day, a bearer of the Shadow bloodline may make a touch attack against one creature within range, sapping 1d4 points of strength. This is an ability drain ability and can be healed by the appropriate means. Fort save negates. The save is Charisma-based (10 + 1/3rd Character Level + Charisma modifier).

Armads
2007-07-15, 06:46 AM
What does the Shadow Affinity bonus apply to?

Triaxx
2007-07-15, 07:18 AM
Shadows, demi-planar dealings.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-15, 04:28 PM
Though even harder to avoid the obvious links to "Japanese Adult Entertainment" as an Illithid blood line, I can't help but think a Farspawned bloodline is warranted too ^_^

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-16, 11:46 AM
Shadows, demi-planar dealings.

I make a diplo check to see if I can persuade that man's shadow to flee.
-Rolls, passes-
"That man has no shadow! Vampire! Kill him!"

Matthew
2007-07-29, 08:58 AM
This is some nice work. I really do like the idea of bloodlines and it is nice to have the option, but I do wonder about the necessity. How much of this do you expect to see play and how much is just mechanics for the sake of mechanics?