PDA

View Full Version : Weapon attack spells

odigity
2016-09-11, 06:49 AM
Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade are unusual in that they are spells that have you attack with your mundane weapon to trigger the effect, which is great if, for example, you're a Rogue who needs to use a weapon to trigger Sneak Attack.

Are there any other spells that involve a mundane weapon attack, either melee or ranged? Is there a spell I can cast which allows me to throw a dagger and do more than 1d4+Dex+SA, the way BB/GFB do?

PeteNutButter
2016-09-11, 09:06 AM
No other official content does this.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-11, 09:22 AM
You want to look at the Rangers spell list. Ensnaring strike, conjurer barrage, lightning Arrow, ect...
Edited: any of the paladins smite spells.

Rysto
2016-09-11, 09:46 AM
Edited: any of the paladins smite spells.

Not all of them. I checked, and a number of them specify melee weapon attacks, while others specify any weapon attack. I'm honestly not sure why there's a difference.

odigity
2016-09-11, 10:23 AM
You want to look at the Rangers spell list. Ensnaring strike, conjurer barrage, lightning Arrow, ect...

I'll go take a look. I've pretty much ignored everything Ranger-related since the first time I read the 5e PHB (the only 5e class I hate), but I'd still like to know. :)

any of the paladins smite spells.

I'll give you points for similarity in that they are spells that trigger on a weapon attack, but they're still not quite the same as BB/GFB which actually *grant* you an attack as part of the spell. The difference is significant when you consider the fact that a Sorcerer can Twin a BB to make two attacks as part of their action (just like a martial char with Extra Attack); Twinning a Paladin smite spell would not accomplish this.

The Paladin smite spells consume your bonus action without granting you an attack; you still need to use your action (an additional resource) to make an attack to get the benefit. With the char I'm building, it wouldn't be worth it -- I could just use the bonus action to dash to close the distance and then use my action to cast BB.

(Also, the Paladin smite spells take concentration which will conflict with Haste, which is a deal-breaker for my Swashbuckler / Sorcerer.)

Sir cryosin
2016-09-11, 10:50 AM
If your looking for a spell that haves you make a weapon attack. I do believe it's only the BB and green flame blade cantrips, well there is swift quiver. That's why these spells are powerful and abilitys like ek's and valor bards abilitys are highly valued for builds that want a magic sword feel.

odigity
2016-09-11, 11:11 AM
That's why these spells are powerful

Seriously. I just discovered them (and Lightning Lure) a few days ago, and have been obsessed with them since. (That and Swashbuckler, my new favorite subclass.) That's why I've been working every since to build a Swashbuckler around those cantrips.

ek's and valor bards abilitys are highly valued for builds that want a magic sword feel.

I haven't explored those options yet. Right now trying to make the most out of Swashbuckler + Sorcerer. (I initially tried to add Battle Master to the mix because many maneuvers synergize well mechanically and flavor-wise, but a friend convinced me I was spreading my levels too thin.)

DracoKnight
2016-09-11, 06:41 PM
Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade are unusual in that they are spells that have you attack with your mundane weapon to trigger the effect, which is great if, for example, you're a Rogue who needs to use a weapon to trigger Sneak Attack.

Are there any other spells that involve a mundane weapon attack, either melee or ranged? Is there a spell I can cast which allows me to throw a dagger and do more than 1d4+Dex+SA, the way BB/GFB do?

Flame arrow, lightning arrow and all of the smite spells.

odigity
2016-09-12, 02:59 AM
Flame arrow, lightning arrow and all of the smite spells.

I guess you didn't read posts #2-7...

DracoKnight
2016-10-16, 03:18 AM
I guess you didn't read posts #2-7...

As a matter of fact, I didn't. Now I see I gave you the same advice everyone else did. There's no need to be rude. :smallsmile:

Kryx
2016-10-16, 03:22 AM
As a matter of fact, I didn't. Now I see I gave you the same advice everyone else did. There's no need to be rude. :smallsmile:
Eh, he has a point. This community often jumps into a post (which is a conversation) and only responds to the first part, ignoring the conversation based on that. It can be very frustrating.

DracoKnight
2016-10-16, 03:26 AM
Eh, he has a point. This community often jumps into a post (which is a conversation) and only responds to the first part, ignoring the conversation based on that. It can be very frustrating.

Eh, fair enough.

odigity
2016-10-16, 03:40 AM

You restarted a month-old thread to make this comment?

DracoKnight
2016-10-16, 04:01 AM

Has it been a month? *checks time stamp* Oh...well then...this is awkward...

tkuremento
2016-10-16, 05:09 AM

Good thing the limit is 45 days, amiright? :P

Arial Black
2016-10-16, 09:11 AM
Seriously. I just discovered them (and Lightning Lure) a few days ago, and have been obsessed with them since. (That and Swashbuckler, my new favorite subclass.) That's why I've been working every since to build a Swashbuckler around those cantrips.

I haven't explored those options yet. Right now trying to make the most out of Swashbuckler + Sorcerer. (I initially tried to add Battle Master to the mix because many maneuvers synergize well mechanically and flavor-wise, but a friend convinced me I was spreading my levels too thin.)

Rog 3/Sor 1/ Ftr 3 as your start, with Swashbuckler, Dragon, and Battlemaster (with Riposte the essential maneuver; Precise Strike comes second; you don't want to miss your only attack). After that, Rogue all the way. You could take a 4th level in Fighter if you are desperate for an ASI, but never go to 5th as the Extra Attack feature is wasted.

Alternatively, ignore Sorcerer altogether and just get Magic Initiate for the cantrips, and either mage armour or find familiar for the 1st level spell.

So, why bother with 3 levels of Fighter? Wouldn't that cost you either 1 or 2d6 from your Sneak Attack?

Yes it would. Balanced against that is that you can use your Sneak Attack twice per round instead of once per round.

Sneak Attack can be used once per turn, but as many times in a round as you get to attack. The trouble is that you have to find a way to make an attack when it is not your own turn, while still getting to use Sneak Attack. The limit here is that every single way to attack when it's not your turn requires you to use your reaction, and so the practical limit for off-turn attacks is one per round.

Swashbuckler can do this most reliably, and Riposte means you can attack when your foe misses you. You can also use Action Surge to do this: simply use the Attack action to attack with Sneak Attack, then use your Action Surge to take the Ready action to attack again, later in the turn. You must put some thought into the precise wording of the trigger for this readied action, and readied actions also use your reaction.

So you must balance losing 1 or 2d6 reliably against using the SA dice you have twice per round instead of once, but not forever.

odigity
2016-10-16, 04:09 PM
Rog 3/Sor 1/ Ftr 3 as your start, with Swashbuckler, Dragon, and Battlemaster (with Riposte the essential maneuver; Precise Strike comes second; you don't want to miss your only attack). After that, Rogue all the way. You could take a 4th level in Fighter if you are desperate for an ASI, but never go to 5th as the Extra Attack feature is wasted.

Alternatively, ignore Sorcerer altogether and just get Magic Initiate for the cantrips, and either mage armour or find familiar for the 1st level spell.

I already worked out most of my build, and even posted it in response to another comment you made on another thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21243025&postcount=15

Sneak Attack can be used once per turn, but as many times in a round as you get to attack.

I'm aware. Riposte was the main reason I originally had Battlemaster as part of the build before pulling it out to simplify the build and accelerate the level acquisition.