PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for Bluff improvements

EldritchWeaver
2016-09-11, 07:30 AM
I'm trying to find some additional ways to improve my Bluff skill. I have a level 11 character who has a bonus of +41 right now:

+11 ranks
+10 competence bonus from item
+11 Cha mod (don't ask)
+1 due to +2 Cha enhancement bonus
+1 trait bonus
+3 class skill bonus (thanks to trait)
+4 Deceitful (needed that feat)

Other things I've contemplated are getting some class abilities, but I can't switch my class. Skill Focus (bluff) is already on the todo list. So what else can I do?

Sandsarecool
2016-09-11, 08:11 AM
+11 cha mod? Wha-?!
Anyways, tried getting a custom item of glibness? A few scrolls or the like if that doesn't fly? +20 bonus (for the socials), though it might take away from your current magic item. Though tis only applicable for the socials.

Jay R
2016-09-11, 08:46 AM
You want to improve your +41 bluff skill. Umm, what bluff have you tried to pull and failed?

EldritchWeaver
2016-09-11, 08:58 AM
+11 cha mod? Wha-?!
Anyways, tried getting a custom item of glibness? A few scrolls or the like if that doesn't fly? +20 bonus (for the socials), though it might take away from your current magic item.

I'll look into this once I have some money left.

You want to improve your +41 bluff skill. Umm, what bluff have you tried to pull and failed?

The purpose is to have enough bonus that even a relatively well (but not extremely) optimized character for perception can't succeed with a Nat 20, so I can use Cunning Caster (hides that you did cast a spell) with impunity. Mathematically, if you can be spotted, you will be spotted.

Calthropstu
2016-09-11, 09:14 AM

The purpose is to have enough bonus that even a relatively well (but not extremely) optimized character for perception can't succeed with a Nat 20, so I can use Cunning Caster (hides that you did cast a spell) with impunity. Mathematically, if you can be spotted, you will be spotted.

Any bonus you can have, there's an equal and opposite to the opposing skill.

That being said, I see nothing untoward with the 11 charisma mod, that is simply a 32. 20 base (after race mod) + 5 (6 for pf) from magic item, + 5 inherent, and +2 from level. Easily attainable.

There are things such as the + 20 bluff potion which will give you the edge.

But there is one thing you can't fool. Many spell casters get arcane sight permanent. That will automatically detect you casting, maintaining or being under the effects of a spell.

If your gm decides someone should know you cast a spell, he can just add that onto the character.

Mehangel
2016-09-11, 09:40 AM
I dont know what class you are, but if you could choose eliciter, you gain the Persuasive class feature which gives you a +2 bonus on bluff checks and scale upto +5 by 18th level. In addition, at 9th level, the eliciter may take 10 on any bluff check; they can also 1/day take 20 on a bluff check without taking additional time.

Psyren
2016-09-11, 10:45 AM

Glibness won't help you with Cunning Caster - it's for convincing people you're telling the truth, not for avoiding notice entirely.

My main suggestion, if you're that worried about this, would be that you should be a psychic caster - that eliminates 2-3 penalties to your bluff check right off the bat without requiring metamagic.

EldritchWeaver
2016-09-11, 04:10 PM
But there is one thing you can't fool. Many spell casters get arcane sight permanent. That will automatically detect you casting, maintaining or being under the effects of a spell.

Actually, the spell can only tell the user if someone can cast spells and what spells are active, but not who casts them. The casting can be noticed after the fact, but you have to deduce who was the originator.

I dont know what class you are, but if you could choose eliciter, you gain the Persuasive class feature which gives you a +2 bonus on bluff checks and scale upto +5 by 18th level. In addition, at 9th level, the eliciter may take 10 on any bluff check; they can also 1/day take 20 on a bluff check without taking additional time.

I'm sticking with my class, but it is still good idea.

Glibness won't help you with Cunning Caster - it's for convincing people you're telling the truth, not for avoiding notice entirely.

My main suggestion, if you're that worried about this, would be that you should be a psychic caster - that eliminates 2-3 penalties to your bluff check right off the bat without requiring metamagic.

I already got rid of somatic and verbal by using Spheres of Power and not choosing these drawbacks. But yes, if Paizo only, that would be the correct choice to make this work.