PDA

View Full Version : Old School Kinder, Gentler Basic D&D

Stan
2016-09-11, 08:29 AM
I've been playing around with Basic recently. I like the simplicity but early levels are brutal. So, I've put together a few rule changes, which are in the linked file. It's a single page of changes and a few of them were common mods.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3-re9IokgC4ajA2cG1fVjZ4eHc

Yora
2016-09-11, 09:02 AM
Could have just pasted those lines here, it's not a lot of text.

I like the idea that death spells and other effects reduce the hp to 0 instead of being instant kill. But I think using all four rules at the same time would be a bit much and make things needlessly complicated. Pick one thing that happens when characters run out of hp, that should be enough.

I decided to treat characters with no hp as disabled. If the negative hp is greater than the Constitution score they are dead.
While disabled they can't do anything and any amount of damage they take in this state instantly kills them. If a disabled character survives and is brought back to 1 hp or more he permanently loses 1 point of Constitution. (Though fancy restoration magic might heal 1 point of such Constitution loss.)

Stan
2016-09-11, 04:17 PM
Thanks - I always have trouble getting even the simplest table to come out right when I post stuff, so I used a link.

We used to do -1 con for near death. The scars table just adds variability and spreads the pain so con doesn't plummet too fast.

Zireael
2016-09-17, 01:46 PM
I like the scars table a lot.