PDA

View Full Version : Mage Hand - 1 action or 2?

odigity
2016-09-11, 10:16 AM
Mage Hand takes an action to cast.

The spell says "You can use your action to control the hand."

Does that mean it takes one action to cast, and another to get your first object interaction, or do you get your first object interaction as part of the action of casting the spell?

Klorox
2016-09-11, 11:19 AM
RAW, I'd say you use the hand the next turn.

But that kind of sucks. At my table, I'd allow you an interaction right away.

odigity
2016-09-11, 04:27 PM
RAW, I'd say you use the hand the next turn.

But that kind of sucks. At my table, I'd allow you an interaction right away.

I appreciate that, and would enjoy playing with you someday, but I'm hoping for something solid enough to take to an AL table, like a Crawford tweet. :)

Vogonjeltz
2016-09-13, 11:37 AM
I appreciate that, and would enjoy playing with you someday, but I'm hoping for something solid enough to take to an AL table, like a Crawford tweet. :)

Cast a Spell is an action. If the spell is granting the ability to perform other actions then it's multiple actions. That doesn't require a tweet.

Ruslan
2016-09-13, 12:18 PM
Cast a Spell is an action. If the spell is granting the ability to perform other actions then it's multiple actions. That doesn't require a tweet.
Quoted for Truth. For Mage Hand to be used on the same turn it was cast, it had to be worded similar to Spiritual Weapon (which specifically allows the use of the weapon on the same turn the spell is cast).
So, unfortunately, the RAW is clear here - no using Mage Hand on the same turn it was cast.

But I also agree with Klorox that in an actual game with people I'd let the player slide past RAW on this one.

Dalebert
2016-09-13, 02:16 PM
I doubt that was intentional. I strongly suspect they intended for the hand to be usable right away. Agree that's the RAW but like many others, I would ignore it and allow immediate usage.

Citan
2016-09-13, 03:18 PM
I doubt that was intentional. I strongly suspect they intended for the hand to be usable right away. Agree that's the RAW but like many others, I would ignore it and allow immediate usage.
Or, it was intentional because it was destined to be used out of fight anyways, and out of fight, you usually are not under such stress that 6 second will make a live or die difference... :)