PDA

View Full Version : Does standing up count as movement?

Klorox
2016-09-11, 11:10 AM
I know it costs half your movement, but I'm wondering if it is technically moving.

I'm trying to think of a way to abuse Booming Blade, as a melee opponent is not going to want to stay prone.

beargryllz
2016-09-11, 11:22 AM
If they didn't actually leave your threatened area, I wouldn't count it. I don't think standing from prone in 5e provokes attacks of opportunity or anything along those lines.

I think the spell isn't written particularly well, but I understand the spirit/intent of booming blade

It says "moving"

Just moving. You move when you breathe. If you're aware of the battlefield, your eyes are moving. If you shift your feet or employ your dex modifier for AC to avoid the carnage around you, you're moving.

I think it's pretty clear to me anyway that the extra damage only triggers if you actually leave the square you're currently in and go somewhere else. I think it's just meant to supplement OAs to make them more dangerous. It's a cantrip, not Hold Person or Power Word: Stun. It shouldn't be anywhere near as powerful as "real" spells.

Hrugner
2016-09-11, 01:16 PM
I read it as any spending of movement from your movement pool. So standing would trigger it, but turning around in your square, teleporting, being pushed, falling, or swapping weapons wouldn't.

Laserlight
2016-09-11, 03:15 PM
I know it costs half your movement, but I'm wondering if it is technically moving.

I'm trying to think of a way to abuse Booming Blade, as a melee opponent is not going to want to stay prone.

I would count "standing from prone" as using movement, and would say it triggers BB.

fbelanger
2016-09-11, 03:45 PM

No

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/09/booming-blade-stand-up/

Klorox
2016-09-11, 07:35 PM
No

Thanks !!

MaxWilson
2016-09-11, 07:41 PM

Yet another bad call from Sage Advice. It does move you, vertically.

Quintessence
2016-09-11, 08:07 PM

Yet another nitpicker who wants to abuse mechanics for his own gain.

MaxWilson
2016-09-11, 08:24 PM
Yet another nitpicker who wants to abuse mechanics for his own gain.

Name-calling other posters and making stuff up about their motivations is wrong.

Hrugner
2016-09-11, 09:13 PM
It's not really the call I'd make, and it messes with any sort of consistency within the "movement" header, but at least there's a ruling now.

odigity
2016-09-12, 03:05 AM
It's not really the call I'd make, and it messes with any sort of consistency within the "movement" header, but at least there's a ruling now.

Yes. I'd rather have well-defined rules that we can all agree with, even if I'm annoyed with a few them, then have to re-open the debate every time I sit down at a new table.

It's the not knowing how a DM will treat something that is the worst part, especially when trying to build a char.

MeeposFire
2016-09-12, 03:08 AM
The problem is that this was a fairly directly ported 4e power and in the translation they did not consider that standing up could be considered movement (for 4e purposes it was not). Frankly the spell was not written worrying about that and the current designers clearly did not think of that interpretation either.

MeeposFire
2016-09-12, 03:12 AM

Of course if we are going to get that pedantic on the term movement then even doing any actions should probably set off booming blade and that sort of thing is probably not the sort of rabbit hole we want to go down. If you attack for instance you are certainly going to move your feet at least a little bit. Now it may not move you from your space but neither does standing up though of course the idea of having a "space" is more a 4e concept which once again this spell was actually designed to work with. They probably should have used a different term than they did because using mostly unchanged 4e language does not work well in 5e.

Also if it is due to having used up 1/2 your move just remember if a spell cast on you caused you to use up 1/2 your move but you did not actually move at all in any way would it still set off booming blade?

Plaguescarred
2016-09-12, 04:31 AM
Standing up is not moving as you still occupy the same space and didn't travel any distance. Standing up costs an amount of movement equal to half your speed without actually making you move any distance. Prone even mention what must be done in order to move and standing up isn't one of them.

Your Turn: Turn On your turn, you can move a distance up to your speed and take one action.

Prone: To move while prone, you must crawl or use magic such as teleportation