PDA

View Full Version : The names of your adventuring party

NecroDancer
2016-09-11, 04:40 PM
Some party's have them, some party's don't. Examples would be Critical Role's Vox Machina, Dice Camera Action's waffle crew, and AI's acquisitions inc. my party's name is "the Strahdust Crusaders" what's your party's name?

RazorChain
2016-09-11, 05:25 PM
Once in cyberpunk we made calling cards that named us Mayhem Inc. Professional Troubleshooters.
Problems solved, trouble shot.

CWater
2016-09-11, 06:58 PM
In one of the best games I'm playing, the party has the unofficial nickname Asylum Avengers.

The group consists of a warrior with a history of anger issues, an emotional rogue with low self-esteem, a cleric with something close to a PTSD and a wizard who is slowly going insane.:smalltongue:

Previous party members also include a pathological liar, a cleric with a shattered ego and warrior who was reckless in the extreme.

DigoDragon
2016-09-11, 07:38 PM
In one on-going RP, we're1 informally calling ourselves the Pancake Party.

Once in cyberpunk we made calling cards that named us Mayhem Inc. Professional Troubleshooters.
Problems solved, trouble shot.

Nice. One group I GM'd for called themselves Majestic Twelve for several sessions, due to the party size and that at the time they were dealing with a possible extra-terrestrial encounter.

1 "We're" referring to mostly just the GM and myself. It's too silly to catch on. ^^;

Pugwampy
2016-09-11, 08:01 PM
My current group is called The Oblivian Society .

In 2010 just before a campaign ended the players called themselves Silver Talons .

Anderlith
2016-09-11, 08:11 PM
The Seraphim, an adventurer guild founded by a True Neutral Elven Ranger, a Chaotic Neutral Half Orc Barbarian, a Neutral Good Cleric of Pelor, and me a Lawful Good Paladin of Pelor. We had several other members but they were never very involved. (lots of people in our group came & went)

Malimar
2016-09-11, 08:42 PM
In one on-going RP, we're1 informally calling ourselves the Pancake Party.

I once DMed for the Muffin Party. On account of their Bag of Infinite Muffins and how they kept using the muffins for every conceivable purpose.

Draconium
2016-09-11, 08:59 PM
I don't think any of my adventuring parties, IRL or on PbP, have ever had a name. With one exception, but we didn't really name ourselves that, it was just how the game ran, so it doesn't count. I should try and get it to catch on...

Belac93
2016-09-11, 09:11 PM
With the campaign my player's just finished (an evil game), they started referring to themselves as "Cthulhu's romantic experiment."
It was a weird game. The Cthulhu part wasn't my fault though.

SethoMarkus
2016-09-11, 10:19 PM
The group in one of the games I'm running now is unofficially referred to as the "Intrepid Heroes", quite simply because they are not. It fits quite nicely as we do a recap of the previous session at the start of each session with the Dragonball title card music playing in the background.

Squibsallotl
2016-09-11, 10:46 PM
All my groups tend to adopt colour/noun combinations for their names. The first group was the Silver Sentinels, the next was the Crimson Justice.

golem1972
2016-09-12, 03:03 AM
"Collateral Damage"

Firest Kathon
2016-09-12, 04:17 AM
The only group I was in that ever managed to agree on a name was named "The Feathers of Riverdale". Riverdale was the region in a custom campaign setting in which we adventured. Feathers because "the feather is mightier than the sword". I think the proverb is "the pen is..." in English, but in German if is translated as feather.

DigoDragon
2016-09-12, 07:08 AM
"Collateral Damage"

Turn it into a formal business and call it the Collateral Damage Corporation. Then you can bluff your way into certain situations by introducing yourselves as being from the CDC. :smallbiggrin:

NRSASD
2016-09-12, 08:10 AM
@Firest Kathon: The word you're probably looking for is "quill". It's a particularly large feather we used to use as a pens. "The Feathers of Riverdale" is a great name!

@DigoDragon: The party also needs a civic minded centaur cleric. The Centaur for Disease Control.

Our longest lasting party was known as the Phoenix Brigade, after we called down a 2E phoenix in the middle of a large urban area to stop a zombie invasion. Even though we burnt down about a quarter of the city in the ensuing firestorm and failed to prevent the zombification of the city, it was declared a strategic and moral victory because it was so awesome haha.

ellindsey
2016-09-12, 09:39 AM
In the Pathfinder game I run, the party has unofficially dubbed themselves "Kyann's Peppers". The core of the party (not exactly leader, but oldest member and moral center) of the group is a gnomish cleric named Kyann.

In the 5E game I play in, the group is known as the "Heroes of Saltmarsh", despite the fact that due to people dropping out and being replaced only one party member remains that actually came from Saltmarsh. We're still required to keep the name due to the specific invitation that we have to perform the quest.

Zejety
2016-09-12, 10:00 AM
Translates roughly to "lock and key service", because the Barbarian started referring to his axe as his "special key" when breaking and entering.

Telonius
2016-09-12, 12:53 PM
It hasn't quite morphed into the official team name yet, but we've started a business in Ravenloft called the Dragon's Claw Brewery. My Cleric of Olidammara has ranks in Profession: Brewer, and we've rescued captured press-ganged employed a Green Dragon Wyrmling to be our mascot/security/business manager while we're off fighting the undead hordes.

Christopher K.
2016-09-12, 01:07 PM
My players have taken to going by either "Alexandryos' [the city in which they live] resident demon slayers" or just referring to themselves as agents of the ADR (Arkhosian Department of Reacquisition), depending on whether they'd get any social benefits for identifying themselves as law enforcement.

Kid Jake
2016-09-12, 01:11 PM
My Mutants and Masterminds game had 'McCrow and Friends.' so named by Roger McCrow (an angry, violent, middle-aged drunk with water based powers) solely to exclude his partner from their achievements. They eventually collected a rag-tag group of losers, misfits and psychos to form an actual superteam, but for a while the 'and Friends' was just to troll the other PC because he was too slow to call dibs on naming them.

Agrippa
2016-09-12, 01:38 PM
I'd like to either play in or run a party of either these characters or characters based off them.

Richard Edgar Castle, birth name Richard Alexander Rogers (Castle) - Pathfinder investigator (sleuth and empiricist hybrid), relatively low level - investigator/social adept/financier/morale

Sterling Malory Archer (Archer) - Pathfinder slayer (Pathfinder assassin base class), thief or (somehow non-Evil) assassin and brawler - fighter/spy/thief/scout/drunk pain in the ass

Edward and Alphonse Elric (Full Metal Alchemist manga and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime) - magic-user/3.5 or Pathfinder wizard for both (if not using Spheres of Power) and some sort of warrior for Edward - battlefield control and support (both), weapon shaper (Edward, can create functional, if needlessly barque melée weapons for himself or others by deconstructing and reconstructing nearby metal)

Jon Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, book continuity and Game of Thrones, show continuity) - some sort of warrior or scout class, relatively lower-leveled than than some of the party but higher-level than Hank and Dean - fighter/scout/sniper (with a bow and arrow) Note: his bastardy may be in question

Gendry (A Song of Ice and Fire, book continuity and Game of Thrones, show continuity) - low level warrior - fighter/support (armor and weapon forging)

Det. Robert Goren (Law & Order: Criminal Intent) - Pathfinder investigator (sleuth and empiricist hybrid), relatively low level - investigator/behavioral profiler/linguistics/contacts with numerous experts in their fields/encyclopedic knowledge of multiple areas of expertise

Hank and Dean Venture (The Venture Brothers) - brawler/scout for Hank and Pathfinder alchemist for Dean, with his alchemy as Super Science(TM), both rather low-level - fighter/scout/infiltration (Hank), support/blowing things up (while screaming, crying and on the verge of wetting his pants)/repair work (Dean)

Terra/Tina Branford (Final Fantasy VI) - 3.5 or Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press psion/warrior class/Pathfinder synthesist summoner - fighter/healer/support/wrath of God in human form/glowing pink-furred rage monster

Thomas Raith (The Dresden Files) - warrior/low-level 3.5 or Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press psion - fighter/charmer/financier/minor league utility spell caster/High Priest of the God of Bowflex/supernatural strongman

Gregory House M.D. (House/House M.D. depending on where in the world you live) - Pathfinder vivisectionist alchemist - healer/thief/pain in the ass/weak point attacker

Bane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bane_(comics)) (DC Comics Batman) - Pathfinder slayer/brawler/Dreamscarred Press warder/Pathfinder alchemist (internal alchemist, vivisectionist and ragechemist) - fighter/mastermind/financier/scout/social adept/token evil teammate/infiltration expert/healer (if and when he feels like it)

What is the party's name you ask? Why it's the Band of Bastards of course! House even picked the name himself.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Bend_Sinister_demo.svg
(Change the shield to gold and the barre sinister to silver)

TheFamilarRaven
2016-09-14, 01:14 AM
I Dm'd for a party that called themselves "The Z-Team" ... because after you've exhausted plans A thru Y, the Z-Team is your last rezort! They would even form their hands into the shape of a 'Z' whenever the party's team name came up. I think the selling point for the name came when the party wizard cried out "Z-Team! Assemble!".

The silliest thing is that the last boss of the campaign was the avatar of an arch devil (the killing blow came as the fighter carved a 'Z' into his chest with a full attack, by the by), and now every time I mention that campaign or that arch-devil in my world's lore, I have to make mention of the legendary "Z-Team" and how they bested and thwarted the Devil Lord of Hatred's plans ro reincarnate on the prime....

The Glyphstone
2016-09-14, 01:17 AM
The only group I ever played with who had a name decided to call themselves the 'Peacemaker Company', for the sole excuse of being able to refer to themselves as PCs without breaking character.

DigoDragon
2016-09-14, 06:02 AM
@DigoDragon: The party also needs a civic minded centaur cleric. The Centaur for Disease Control.

Mwahaha, yes. :D

The only group I ever played with who had a name decided to call themselves the 'Peacemaker Company', for the sole excuse of being able to refer to themselves as PCs without breaking character.

That's pretty brilliant. Never had any of my groups come up with that one.

Anxe
2016-09-14, 08:47 AM
My group and I have called ourselves the Trollslayers since our first campaign where we slew a lot of trolls.

Current batch of PCs have started being called the Allied Exiles, but that's only after about 50 or 60 sessions of not having a good name that stuck.

MintyNinja
2016-09-14, 02:01 PM
One of my current groups just formed into a mercenary company in Baldur's Gate as the "Flaming Sword Company." Yeah, we know about the Flaming Fist. So what? We have a flaming sword!

My back-up character will have plans to take over the city (We're playing Murder in Baldur's Gate and the GM's open to Lawful Evil played well) and if I succeed, the way to keep my holier companions off my back will be to give the War Cleric full command of the city's garrisons and conscript as many Flaming Fists into Flaming Sword Company as possible. They're soft plans for now, can't ever predict a campaign's longevity.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-14, 02:18 PM
Before my current game started, another GM and I stole the idea made an homage of Acquisitions Inc. to create Crypt Cleaners, Incorporated (CCI) as the backstory for a Dungeon Crawl Classics character funnel ("recruitment obstacle course"). I used this as the set up for my own game ("Y'all have been hired as an experimental franchise expansion. Here's your first plot hook."), but dropped the larger corporation concept after a few sessions. I've encouraged them to come up with their own name (and they were briefly Ragtag, Inc.), but they always fall back to CCI.

Through a few years of play, they've been in all of one crypt.

Arbane
2016-09-14, 04:03 PM
The character who started our current adventuring party named it 'The Obsidian Shards', and while he's gone (RL got in the way), nobody's come up with a better name yet, in or out of character.

Kane0
2016-09-14, 08:37 PM
The Scourge of Abaddon was one of my more favourite party names. Proposed by the warlock, ratified by the paladin.

Pfhagthyeh
2016-09-27, 02:28 AM
Through a series of strange events and a dash of inspiration from our 80's "Hair Metal"-themed Dwarven Bard, our party's name became "Dream Weaver." And, of course, our slogan is "We believe we can get you through the night."

arcane_asp
2016-09-29, 10:00 AM
There have been a few over the years...

Our primary D&D campaign group is known as "Adventurers Assembled" - a lot of Marvel comics fans in that group :smallbiggrin:

A later game group was known as "The Crew of the Simpering Ninny" (pirate adventure hijinks)

Most recently we've gone with the slightly more traditional "The Dauntless Champions"

CrazyPenguin
2016-09-29, 11:14 AM
The party in the Critical Hit podcast was briefly known as the Nearly Deadmen. Unfortunately, it didn't stick (I say unfortunately because that name is awesome)

Jay R
2016-09-30, 09:44 PM
"Us", usually.

RedMage125
2016-09-30, 11:13 PM
The group I DM for right now is running through Age of Worms, so they are all from a town called Diamond Lake. For a tournament, they had to name their group. There are 5 of them, but the druid's ape companion counted as a member for the tournament purposes (also, druid went Arcane Heirophant, and now his ape is SUPER smart).

They are....drumroll...The Six of Diamonds!

Jay R
2016-10-01, 09:34 AM
Seriously, the only time I've ever referred to a party with anything approximating a name was in a 2e game, in which we were all playing teenagers. When we finally faced the evil priest, he stared at us and sneered, "You? You are the great heroes who think you can stop me?"

I replied, "And you'd have gotten away with it if it weren't for us Meddling Kids."

Doc Filth
2016-10-03, 04:16 AM
In a Forgotten Realms campaign, I once had an NPC all-female adventuring party of paladins and clerics of Ilmater, calling themselves the Sisters of Mercy :).

AceOfFools
2016-10-05, 02:14 PM
I once played a character from a merchant background who volunteered to keep the ledger and handle the party books. He named the party as "The Bull's Horns Trading Company," as a way to help add an air of civility to the minotaur warlord in the party.

Some of the PCS objected to the name, but not to letting me do the boring bookeeping and logistics. Thus most NPCs were unaware of said objections.

N810
2016-10-05, 02:27 PM
Drunken Weasels.

Named after a players constantly intoxicated pet.
sadly the weasel died when a foes house exploded in an alchemy fire.
(long story)
but yea, never send the mascot on a scouting mission.

Recherché
2016-10-05, 09:06 PM
"The Isabella's Demise"

We named out ship after the woman we killed and stole it from and from there it was pretty natural for other people to start calling the crew after the name of the ship.

d13
2016-10-06, 02:49 AM
We have a... Let's call it "a habit"... of getting on important NPCs' nerves early and frequently. Cue them exclaiming and/or referring to us as "f*cking adventurers!"

Well, there's little sense in swimming against the current. We're now THE F*cking Adventurers.

USS Sorceror
2016-10-06, 01:01 PM
First party I ran with I decided to call the Order of the Hanged Man because the party leader was a hungover drunk.

Party I'm currently DMing I call the Near-Death Squad on account of how many times I've just barely managed to off them, and they com back to their guild hall looking ragged as heck.

Winter_Wolf
2016-10-06, 02:59 PM
The only semi-official named group was "the Four" because it need up we were four elves. Apparently. And then my character bit the big one and they were briefly "three plus one".

Every other group ended up with some variation of "those a--holes". Ayup. Truth in advertising, I guess. But none of the player groups I've been in had an official charter such that they'd really warrant a spiffy name. More's the pity, I guess. Then again, any sufficiently cool group name would probably result in the early, horrible demise of at leat50% of the founding members and probably a TPK within a few sessions. Just based on experience.

Dunsparce
2016-10-06, 03:29 PM
The only party I've been in that was granted a name was given to us by an evil church. Apparently they thought we were righteous do-gooders attempting to remove the church's corruption, and thus were dubbed the Grand Inquisitors.

Many times people from the organization were surprised to find out that we were most chaotic neutral *******s running around trying to get as much money as possible, enough so that we dubbed the main bad guy "The Guy with All the Money", to the point that we forgot what his actual name was outside of the DM, and cared more for his many vast vaults full of gold than any schemes he was up to.

Though it probably doesn't count, one game I DMed I dubbed the party in my notes as the "Pug Patrol" since despite the main plot their ultimate goal was to uplift the team pet, a Dire Pug, to godhood, and its safety was top priority. Needless to say they succeeded in the end, and as a result the Pug is now in the pantheon of all future games I run regardless of the setting or atmosphere of the campaign.

NRSASD
2016-10-06, 08:10 PM
@Dunsparce: Did priests of the Pug Dog worship their lord in Pugodas?

Malimar
2016-10-06, 08:29 PM
"The Isabella's Demise"

We named out ship after the woman we killed and stole it from and from there it was pretty natural for other people to start calling the crew after the name of the ship.

Ohhey, if we're doing ship names, I've DMed for the crews of the pirate ship Scuzzy Duck and the spelljammer Princess Cthulhu.

Dunsparce
2016-10-07, 06:48 AM
@Dunsparce: Did priests of the Pug Dog worship their lord in Pugodas?

No, but I'm stealing that idea for future reference.

I will say it has its own granted domain for clerics and, in an upcoming Slayers d20 campaign, its own school of magic alongside the 3 that the setting already has.

Professor Chimp
2016-10-07, 07:20 AM
The party I DM/play in is called the Lightning Bolts.

Partly because several members have a predilection towards using electricity-based weapons & abilities. Partly because the concept behind the party is vaguely based on Marvel's original incarnation of the Thunderbolts in that they're a group of villains who banded together for mutual benefit and are pretending to be heroes to hide their covert evil activities. Well, except for my own character who isn't so much evil as he is so utterly bat**** insane his morality is best described as not white, black or gray, but as papaya (the actual fruit, not its color).