PDA

View Full Version : Did they ever make a 3.5 chromatic orb?

redzimmer
2016-09-11, 05:09 PM
It was my favourite spell in Baldur's Gate. I remember it from the Complete Wizard's Handbook.

nedz
2016-09-11, 05:33 PM
Nope — AD&D only.

It wouldn't be hard to port however.

It was the strongest Orb spell — and the existing Orb spells are amongst the strongest in 3.5 because mailman — so balance may be an issue.

Thurbane
2016-09-11, 11:00 PM
Here's a decent homebrew (https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=116117) conversion, if you're interested.

Since Chromatic Orb was a 1st level spell that eventually because a save or lose once you were high enough in level, it would have required a large overhaul to be used in 3.X.

I too love Chromatic Orb back in my 1E days. Unearthed Arcana was my go to splatbook.

Khedrac
2016-09-12, 03:23 AM
Since Chromatic Orb was a 1st level spell that eventually because a save orand lose anyway once you were high enough in level,
Fixed that for you. Once capped this spell was so broken... (fun though).

Cazero
2016-09-13, 01:41 PM
There is a half-assed port in Icewind Dale II (probably for legacy reasons since Icewind Dale I was running with 2e rules). I believe they forgot to change anything about it. The save-or-suck effect is incredibly OP for a first level spell in that game.

erok0809
2016-09-13, 03:57 PM
I don't know if it's similar to the ones already described, but 5e also has a chromatic orb spell that you could look at.

Âmesang
2016-09-13, 05:15 PM
This got me thinking of porting it over myself since I like bringing back old AD&D spells.

…granted, I'd have to fix my characters' finances to ensure there'd be enough gem stones to spend on it. :smalltongue:

thorr-kan
2016-09-13, 09:40 PM
I loved that spell.

Thurbane
2016-09-14, 12:54 AM
Here's a decent homebrew (https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?t=116117) conversion, if you're interested.

Since Chromatic Orb was a 1st level spell that eventually because a save or lose once you were high enough in level, it would have required a large overhaul to be used in 3.X.

I too love Chromatic Orb back in my 1E days. Unearthed Arcana was my go to splatbook.

I've re-read the homebrew link I posted, and TBH, seems a bit OP for a 1st level spell. Especially the option for using a more expensive component/focus to increase the effect duration to 1d3 rounds.

Âmesang
2016-09-14, 06:07 PM
Would it be bad if I just converted the spell as-is, discounting mechanical differences between editions? For example I'm thinking it'd be "Saving Throw: see text," with the saving throw depended on the specific effect (Reflex for light, heat, fire, and magnetism… and Fortitude for blindness, stinking cloud, paralysis, petrification, and death). Maybe it can set to Fortitude only? Probably best to compare it to the effects of the various prismatic spells.

I'd definitely keep the material component as a costly component and still have it require an attack roll to hit. Likewise, due to Player's Handbook II and Dragon Magic, I'd keep it dual-schooled at Evocation and Transmutation.

Pex
2016-09-14, 06:20 PM
I always figured the Orb Of (Energy) spells were 3E's version of Chromatic Orb.