View Full Version : Help with fighter tank

Doomwhispo
2016-09-11, 08:07 PM
I'm about to be tanking for the first time and I decided to go for fighter battle master because of the goading attack. Does anyone have experience with this archetype and can give me some advice as to wich manouvres and feats will be the most useful. I'm thinking to also take a level in barbarian for the extra ac and rage since I'll be a Dexterity tank (if I get good stats is it worth it?). And I will be a human variant with the shield master feat? Any tips or advice from experienced people are welcome

Specter
2016-09-11, 08:34 PM
I'd recommend Trip or Pushing Attack too, but with Shield Master you got that covered. Other than that, Sentinel helps. Don't see much of a point for rage, but after the best Fighter levels who knows.

Foxhound438
2016-09-11, 08:39 PM
for what you have set up there a strength build is honestly better, for two reasons:

1) AC is a tad higher with heavy armor

2) strength is required for consistency with the shield master shove

Slightly better for a dex build would be to start with medium armor master or defensive duelist, and eventually take both. Granted, you don't really get any good bonus action options out of those feats, but if that really bothers you a late level dip in a casting class can get you something like flaming sphere or spiritual weapon.

ruy343
2016-09-11, 08:43 PM
Is this a predominantly low-level campaign? Are you very interested in maxing out your ability scores over the long term, or do you want to leave your options open?

If it's low level, and you are using standard array, this build works pretty well:

Play a variant human, and choose "Medium Armor Master" as your bonus feat. With a 16 dex and the best medium armor (and a shield), you can rock an AC19 out the gate (AC 20 with defense fighting style). Having a high AC will go a loooong ways towards being a great tank. As an additional perk, you can sneak without disadvantage, making a multiclass to rogue a really good idea (especially since at higher rogue levels, you get the rogue's ability to halve all damage dealt to you by a single attack as a reaction). Also sneak attack. Also, later, shield master feat with expertise in athletics to get a free shove then stab with advantage. It really works out well if you're not too concerned about having a perfect +5 to your attack roll/damage roll. (dueling fighting style fixes the damage part at least).

Alternately, dump dex and go for strength with plate mail and a shield, giving you a net AC of 20 (21 with defense fighting style). In this case, you might consider the sentinel feat, allowing you to be more "sticky" - enemies don't get past you as easily.

In addition to all of this, to be a better tank and protect your team better, you can take the "protection" fighting style, which will allow you to consistently use your reaction in a meaningful, team-protecting way. Your wizard will thank you.

I present these options in contrast to the barbarian choice: it's actually really fun to do the rogue/fighter build in 5e! Focus on having a high AC, and on having ways to control the battlefield.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-11, 09:00 PM
Ok wow I did not realize I needed strength in order to shove. That's a big flaw in my plan. The reason for barbarian multiclassin was that with unarmoured defense and shield you can get 22ac (if you have the dex) and rage grants resistance to slashing piercing and bashing wich is most of the damage it seems to me (though i never played pas lvl5 so maybe it's different later)

bid
2016-09-11, 09:20 PM
Ok wow I did not realize I needed strength in order to shove.
Not exactly. You need a Strength(Athletics) ability check.

The alternative is to dip 1 level of rogue for expertise. That would roughly cancel out the loss from Str ASI progression.

If you intend on taking shield master, you'll want your Dex save as high as possible. The 3rd point does nothing if you fail that save.

Either is fine, it depends on your RP concept.

Reosoul
2016-09-11, 10:05 PM
From what I understand, Dexterity also doesn't play very well with Barbarian either, since your rage damage bonus only goes towards damage you make using Strength. You can still use a finesse weapon, but the attack has to be made with strength, if I recall correctly. (AFB at the moment).

I feel like if you're not certain of the campaign and how long it will go for and just want to be the best tank, going straight fighter and just grabbing a level of rogue along the way(for athletics expertise for Shield Master Shove) and trying to pick up Sentinel ASAP is what will make you the best tank. Having a high AC isn't enough. You need to demand attention from your opponents and threaten them with pain if they ignore you. Constantly putting them in a catch-22.

Battlemaster is a good choice if you decide to eventually pick up more rogue levels as well, as Riposte(?) maneuver will allow you to strike back even when you can't get your sentinel to trigger, and hitting with sneak off your own turn.

As a side note, if you intend to take sentinel, Battle Master maneuvers like Riposte, or even enough rogue levels to get 'dodge', then Protection fighting style is a waste. As it's waaaay too much competing for your reaction every turn. Just get the dependable defense fighting style(+1 AC) or something more flashy(dueling) if you like.