PDA

View Full Version : Need help fixing an NPC.

Metahuman1
2016-09-11, 11:41 PM
So, long story short, Evil Demi-Lich has either corrupted or co-opted the body/mind of a Werewolf NPC the party is quite fond of, and whom is VERY important to games plot line.

We need him back. Whatever it takes.

How do I beat this? I'm a 15th level character, just hitting 15th level at the end of last session (were in this happened.). I'm separated from the party so I actually have a time and planning benefit in a limited fashion. The DM is famous at this point for refusing to divulge information in advance with any accuracy or reliability as he feels like it ruins the suspense and tension if we know what were gonna be up against and how to actually beat it.

I'm a sorcerer/mage of the arcane order 9/ and this last level I just moved into my first love of Red Wizard. (House rules, and I'm good aligned, also house rules.) I don't have Circle Magic yet. And I have Item Crafting feats and a custom rune staff. Lastly, I have an Item Familiar with a unique power. I can double the casting time of a spell in order to make it a supernatural ability, and by-pass things like component costs/SR in this manner.

I'm trying to figure out ways to make this happen. I need the plan to have more or less 0 margin for error (Or I can assure you that the Margin for Error WILL be exploited into failure.). And I need it to cover both possibility's. He's being possessed against his will, and I have to force it out, or, he's just be corrupted and is acting of his own accord now that a radical alignment shift has been shoved down his throat against his wishes.

So far the only idea I've had is the Sanctify the Wicked spell, but that's a 9th level spell and I won't be getting those for awhile yet. And even then, Will Save Negates. Against a Necromancer Demi-Lich. Seems, problematic.

So, playground, help me, your my only hope!

Draconium
2016-09-11, 11:45 PM
The first thing that comes to mind, if the Demilich is indeed possessing him, is to somehow utilize Magic Jar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicJar.htm) to force him out. Don't know how likely or possible it is mechanically, but I'm sure that there might be some use for it.

Metahuman1
2016-09-12, 12:10 AM
Probably have a protection spell in place, and even then, Will Save. Won't help unless I can get that save WAAAAAAAAY down.

One Step Two
2016-09-12, 12:21 AM
Hm, can you analyze said freind with Arcane sight to determine how they are being controlled? If it's an enchantment, or spell with the [Evil] descriptor, Dispel evil is a no save, no SR spell that will simply turn it off, unless the effect can't be dispelled as per dispel magic.

Essentially, you need more intel. If the NPC is well known to you, he should have a hard time stopping you from Scrying on him to analyze him, I know you said the DM likes to play cards close to the chest, but it's hard to form any plan without any reconnaissance.

Finally, can you trap said NPC inside an anti-magic field to see if that affects the mind control? If it doesn't it helps narrow down what has been done, and how to counter it.

Matticussama
2016-09-12, 12:23 AM
One of the listed options for Limited Wish is "Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw." While a -7 isn't exactly a guarantee, it definitely boosts your chances significantly. Combine that with other debuffs like Touch of Idiocy and/or Mind Fog, then add in the many ways of boosting your Save DC you significantly increase your chances of success.

Zanos
2016-09-12, 12:25 AM
A demilich is immune to all magic(including supernatural stuff) except when it chooses not to be, as far as I recall. You also have to be an epic spellcaster to even qualify for the template.

Based on those points, I'd either curl up into the fetal position or look for the McGuffin that your DM wants you to get to stop him.

Assuming he's using the werewolves stat block while he's inside him, just hit him with a high CL greater dispel magic over and over until it gets whatever the possession spell is. If the demilich shows up in his normal body you're hosed, though.

Metahuman1
2016-09-12, 01:33 AM
Alright, what about killing the NPC, and using a Resurrection spell on him? Would that be enough to separate them?

And there Isn't a Maguffin. The NPC IS the Maguffin. The DM wants to force us to "Figure out." how to free him, or that we can't and to just kill him.