PDA

View Full Version : Does something like this exist in the rules.

Yogibear41
2016-09-12, 02:23 AM
I'm looking for rules on essentially a pseudo antimagic field. What I mean by that is an area where spells, spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities do not work, but where magic items that do not replicate spells, such as a +2 sword or armor or stat modifier work, but a wand of magic missile wouldn't. Also where su special qualities would continue to function such as DR/magic or coldiron, silver etc.

One Step Two
2016-09-12, 02:30 AM
Oltilukes Suppressing Field does this for schools of Magic, nothing can cast or be triggered if it replicates a spell of that school or type, such as good or evil. It's overcome like an SR check, but there's grounds to create higher level versions that do the same.

Edit: The spell is found in Complete Mage.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-12, 05:22 AM
Sorry, no.

One Step Two's answer is as close as you get if you overlap fields for most schools. Abjuration and transmutation cover most armor and stat boosters while evocation covers magic weapons.

Necroticplague
2016-09-12, 08:03 AM
Short answer, no.
Long answer, no, because there isn't a hard-and-fast difference between whether a magic item emulates a spell or not, so there's not gonna be things based on that distinction.

The closest I can find is Antimagic Ray, but that falls short for in several ways (allows spell completion and spell trigger items, would stop all SU abilities).

Side note, you contradict yourself when you say you want it to stop SU abilities, but allow SU special qualities.

Prime32
2016-09-12, 08:33 AM
globe of invulnerability (and its lesser version) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm) works sort of like this, but only for low-level spells.

There's also bastion of good (combines GoI with a double-strength magic circle against evil, both out to 20ft) and glacial globe of invulnerability (only works on fire spells, but provides concealment).

ben-zayb
2016-09-12, 10:23 AM
I mean, if you are worried mostly about non-passive, activated effects, you can have an entire plane covered in Energy Transformation Field. It doesn't stop preexisting effects, though, so any buffed character porting in retains their effects

Yogibear41
2016-09-12, 05:19 PM
Side note, you contradict yourself when you say you want it to stop SU abilities, but allow SU special qualities.

I meant stop SU attacks, but not SU qualities.

Or maybe just stop SU attacks that emulate spells, but not SU attacks like a Dragon's Breath.

I was hoping maybe there was something in the rules for Faerun's dead magic zones, but it seems those are basically just natural anti-magic fields with a few stipulations.

Zanos
2016-09-12, 05:39 PM
What is this for? It seems like you're trying to shut down casting specifically without affecting monsters or "mundanes".

CharonsHelper
2016-09-12, 05:44 PM
You could just use an automatic progression for items to emulate the Big 6 (such as in Pathfinder Unchained) then they aren't technically magic and an anti-magic field wouldn't negate them. (Would still negate any utility items.)

Bohandas
2016-09-12, 06:03 PM
The closest I can think of is Protection From Spells. But that's an effect on an individual, not an area effect. And it's not absolute

shaikujin
2016-09-12, 09:10 PM
I'm looking for rules on essentially a pseudo antimagic field. What I mean by that is an area where spells, spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities do not work, but where magic items that do not replicate spells, such as a +2 sword or armor or stat modifier work, but a wand of magic missile wouldn't. Also where su special qualities would continue to function such as DR/magic or coldiron, silver etc.

A planar Bubble to the "Concordant Domain of the Outlands" (Manual of the Planes Pg 147), might work for you.

There is a distance near to the center that will shutdown arcane spells, divine spells, and supernatural abilities.

The thing is, I can't remember if it shuts down magic items as well.

Of course, if you are fine with custom demiplanes, you can probably pick and choose the traits you specifically want.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-12, 10:24 PM
What is this for? It seems like you're trying to shut down casting specifically without affecting monsters or "mundanes".

This seems accurate.

If you're looking at DMZ's as a solution then I take it you're the DM? If so, just declare from the outset, "no casters this time around." That's a thing that a DM can do, ya know. Just be sure you make it clear it's a hard "no" to spellcasters, justify it if you really want, and be firm about it.

If they don't like it (and some of them probably won't) you tell 'em "tough. I said it and I meant it. You can play a caster next time but I don't want them for this adventure/campaign."

Trying to stealth-nerf them with a field like you've described is just going to encourage them to find a work around and it's a passive-aggressive, d-bag move anyway.

Of course, I could be completely backwards and you could just be a monk/fighter trying to find a way to smite the caster gods that pose such a huge threat to you. If that's the case, you're SoL. If you want to be able to solo casters or deal with high-op casters then all you can do is either be one or put in a -lot- of work to give yourself a fighting chance with the dice. I'd strongly suggest the former, given the enormous system mastery the latter takes.

Zanos
2016-09-12, 10:39 PM
To be honest, you don't need your supernatural abilities to kill a caster in an antimagic field anyway. Getting or keeping them in the field can be an issue since the printed ways of creating one are so limited, but if you need your +5 longsword to kill a commoner your character is beyond terrible.

Yogibear41
2016-09-13, 09:22 AM
I'm not the dm. Just exploring options for a large scale defense against casters by a mostly mundane character who also happens to have supernatural resistances that come in handy when fighting mundane threats. If I can create a defense that guards against an invasion headed by high level clerics or wizards while also not limiting my own ability to fight mundane threats where I need my magical equipment to be able to compete effectively why not?

Psyren
2016-09-13, 12:26 PM
Aroden's Spellbane (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/aroden-s-spellbane) from PF can do this if your caster level is infinite arbitrarily high - you can suppress every single spell in the game, including normally AMF-resistant ones like Wall of Force, without affecting magic items.