PDA

View Full Version : Custom spell ( animate death at level 1) : is it appropriate, or it's overpowered?

Conradine
2016-09-12, 03:59 AM
Minor Animate Dead
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 day * ( read the description below )
Range: Touch
Targets: A single corpse touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell is the most basic form of Animate Dead. It requires a mostly intact body that must be treated with arcane rituals, smoke and oils for a whole week before being ready for use. Then, the necromancer must spend a whole day chanting invocations and establishing a crude spiritual link with the undead before being able to animate it.

The control link between the necromancer and the zombie / scheleton is tenuous and is automatically broken by any use of Turn Undead ( he loses control over the monster ).
Also, the unexperienced necromancer must concentrate for a full round and have a clear line of sight on the undead to make it take any action more complicated than walk or shamble toward a location.

A necromancer cannot control more than a single undead with this spell.

Material component: herbs and oils worth 25 gp

---

In your opinion, is that adequate for a level 1 spell?

Zanos
2016-09-12, 04:07 AM
Looks fine to me. A bit weak, if anything. Basically gives you the option forfeit your actions to make something kinda crappy get some shots in, which is a nice option when you don't want to blow real spells on the encounter.

If you're looking to play a dedicated necromancer, the Death Master from the Dragon Compendium gets full blown animate dead as a 2nd level spell. As it's a full progression prepared caster, that comes online at level 3. It's a pretty solid class too.

Bullet06320
2016-09-12, 04:09 AM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1903980046/sr=8-2/qid=1473671240/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1473671240&sr=8-2

Encyclopaedia Arcane: Necromancy Beyond The Grave has a 1st level spell animate skeleton, I think there is even a 0th level in there animate vermin

Conradine
2016-09-12, 04:21 AM
Encyclopaedia Arcane: Necromancy Beyond The Grave has a 1st level spell animate skeleton, I think there is even a 0th level in there animate vermin

I'm reading the pdf now and it's cool. You made my day. Thanks!!!

Bullet06320
2016-09-12, 04:45 AM
mongoose publishing has a lot of material out there published under the OGL, it was one of the first to publish material, and that book was the 2nd one I think that they published. a lot of their stuff sees use at my table

Spore
2016-09-12, 05:45 AM
Use the animate dead progression from Pathfinder: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-dead

For a 1st level spell a standard action cast (using 10 gp of flawed onyx) that animates an undead of no more than 1 HD for 10 minutes/level would probably be the most flavorful. All games except D&D have skeletons and undead being temporary instead of permanent.

CasualViking
2016-09-12, 07:07 AM
Mongoose shoveled a lot of crapware out the door during the open source era. They're the actual brand name of Crazy Bob's Discount PFD Shack.

Quertus
2016-09-12, 07:19 AM
Use the animate dead progression from Pathfinder: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/animate-dead

For a 1st level spell a standard action cast (using 10 gp of flawed onyx) that animates an undead of no more than 1 HD for 10 minutes/level would probably be the most flavorful. All games except D&D have skeletons and undead being temporary instead of permanent.

Imma hafta disagree. World of Darkness (wraiths, vampires, zombies and mummies), Heroes, Scion, Deadlands, and I believe Warhammer Fantasy all feature permanent undead.

In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any games I've played with exclusively temporary undead.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-12, 10:08 AM
mongoose publishing has a lot of material out there published under the OGL, it was one of the first to publish material, and that book was the 2nd one I think that they published. a lot of their stuff sees use at my table

Now if only some of their other stuff had updated to 3.5. Im looking at you, Death Blossoms. Sooo flavorful, but just too weak.