PDA

View Full Version : ToB v MoI

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-08, 06:15 PM
I am going to be running a campaign using (only) the Tome of Battle classes and the Magic of Incarnum classes. For those of you who have messed with them more than I have, how do these classes measure up to each other?

Some things specific to the campaign that may modify this somewhat:

The game is set in near-future Tokyo, so d20 modern firearms and firearms-based feats are available.

There is no multiclassing.

It will be a 4-5 player game, 32 pt. buy, running the full level spread
(1st-21st level)

Magic Items will be more rare, as the ability to make them is reduced to what Adepts can produce.

The majority of the antagonists are people with NPC levels, or fighter levels- for the "slightly better" warrior. 'Boss fights' will have MoI or ToB classes, plus possibly Binder.

Also, if anyone would care to post links to there ToB and/or MoI characters, that would help tremendously as well, in terms of getting a feel for what these classes do well.

Gralamin
2007-07-08, 06:51 PM
With little magic items, MoI classes are going to feel very special. Watch out for Totemists who try to get as many natural attacks as possible.

Also, if anyone would care to post links to there ToB and/or MoI characters, that would help tremendously as well, in terms of getting a feel for what these classes do well.

Crusaders are very good at one thing: Not Dying. Crusaders are almost impossible to kill off, and even if you can, they'll generally still get in the last hit.
Crusaders are also good at other stuff, but not as good. They make good leaders as the have White Raven.

Low Level Crusader link coming up
edit: http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=37084

Dausuul
2007-07-08, 11:21 PM
One problem you will have: Lack of healing. As far as I know, MoI offers virtually no healing capability. The ToB offers some healing by way of crusader maneuvers and stances, but it only works in combat, which limits its utility.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-09, 02:40 PM
That(the lack of healing) is being supplemented by using Reserve, and the availability of single use cure X items, which can be produced by adepts.