PDA

View Full Version : Player Help (5e) Drow Bladesinger of Eilistraee

SONIC_WOLF
2016-09-12, 01:00 PM
Greetings Adventurers.

After being told about a drow uprising campaign and reading Unearthed arcana, i am interested in making a blade dancer of Eilistraee from the bard of the blade.

So far , I want to build around dual wielding Scimitars and the unnerving flourish.

So challenges i have are.

1. Ways around light sensitive - first thought was a blessing from eilistraee for being a great worshipper since her return after the sundering.

2. Making 5e version of the moonlight spells - is there spells a bard can take that the gm can homebrew a little.

3. Being started at lvl 12 we are getting a magical item thst the gm is insisting has to blend with the characters lore and not just cos its cool and powerful.

Any and advice is appreciated.

XmonkTad
2016-09-12, 09:39 PM
I can't tell you too much about point #2, but it seems like problems 1 & 3 should cancel each other out? Can't you just ask for a magic item that was given to you by Eilistraee that helps you resist the penalties from sunlight? If that's too powerful, ask your DM if you can have them only work for an hour a day (just use them for combat). If that's too weak, ask your DM if they can give you 1d6 of sneak attack damage, as per the rogue feature.

The Shadowdove
2016-09-13, 11:11 PM
Sun bifocals.

Goggles with tinted glass.

Tremorsense.

Blind sense blindfold.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

djreynolds
2016-09-14, 12:33 AM
Greetings Adventurers.

After being told about a drow uprising campaign and reading Unearthed arcana, i am interested in making a blade dancer of Eilistraee from the bard of the blade.

So far , I want to build around dual wielding Scimitars and the unnerving flourish.

So challenges i have are.

1. Ways around light sensitive - first thought was a blessing from eilistraee for being a great worshipper since her return after the sundering.

2. Making 5e version of the moonlight spells - is there spells a bard can take that the gm can homebrew a little.

3. Being started at lvl 12 we are getting a magical item thst the gm is insisting has to blend with the characters lore and not just cos its cool and powerful.

Any and advice is appreciated.

It sounds crazy and totally unoptimized, but I feel you must use a long sword (bastard sword) get a sun sword so you can finesse it.

EternalPrime
2016-09-14, 01:41 AM
I'm actually playing a very similar character in my current Out of the Abyss campaign, but mine is a Wizard Bladesinger as opposed to a Bard.
I got around the light sensitivity by making him a half-drow elf.
As a wizard, I have Dancing Lights and Darkness as spells, I considered taking Magic Initiate to get Faerie Fire, but by 4th level it seemed unnecessary.
I just recently acquired a Sun Blade and love it!

rollingForInit
2016-09-14, 03:41 AM
A drow uprising sounds like it'd take place almost exclusively in the Underdark? In that case, Sunlight Sensitivity won't be an issue.

If it takes place on the surface, I've done this with my drow character, that my DM approved:

1) Remove Superior Darkvision.
2) Rewrite Sunlight Sensitivity to say: "You have disadvantage on Perception checks that rely on sight when you or the target is in direct sunlight".

You've gotten more used to sunlight, so you have a difficult time seeing as well in the dark as you used to - but you've learnt to fight well enough in it, perhaps by relying somewhat more on your other senses and combat instincts. Actually looking at things in sunlight is still a bit difficult, however.

It fits conceptually, to me at least. And it doesn't remove the sensitivity completely, just in situations where it be absolutely debilitating to have it. Feels cleaner than using some magic item to just get around it completely, as well.