PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Adventures/Paths for 1 PC

Khartoum
2016-09-12, 01:33 PM
So, I know people have asked before about the best adventures to play with a GM and a PC.. but, there is never a big list or support for it. I wanted to discuss, why?

Its obvious this is a multiplayer game and teamwork is the foundation, but at the same time... We are telling a story, a movie if you will, and most movies or stories have 1 main character/protagonist.

Wouldnt it make sense for a lot of material to be available for one hero to play out, save the day?

Also, if you know of any good ones, please let me know :biggrin:

Thank you.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-09-12, 05:05 PM
Most stories that feature one protagonist are NOT of the action/adventure genre. Sure, there may be a main character, like Conan, Batman, Krull, Robin Hood, but even Batman has Robin to help him out occasionally, and the other heroes are typically accompanied by an ensemble of other heroic individuals, they're just not considered as important as the main character, and that's frankly a pretty ****ty model for any tabletop RPG, since it instantly devalues every other player except the main character.

But to answer your question, as far as my knowledge goes, there is no AP that is designed for one character. Table-top games, by their nature, are meant to be played with a group of PC's, as you seem to be aware of.

Most of the classes, (since you mentioned adventure paths, I'm assuming you mean DnD or Pathfinder, though I suppose even in non-classed based games this applies), are meant to fill ONE role in a party of 4. Thus it would actually make no sense for published AP's to be geared towards one singular player character, otherwise, how the Hell would they sell?

All that be said however, there are no AP's that I know of that are specifically tailored to certain types of PC's. Most AP's are written with the expectation that the players will craft a character to fit the story and/or theme of the AP. So you can probably pick up any AP you like, and adjust the power of the PC or the difficulty of the challenges to meet the needs of a party of one.

As far as good ones to do this with... Well, depends on the genre you'e looking for, and what system you want to run.

Khartoum
2016-09-12, 05:18 PM
I have to agree with you on supporting characters for these stories, however I dont think it takes away from it (except from the supporting characters which are NPCs in these cases).

So I think the team can be part of the plot (NPCs) and work well with how you interact (like a video game) with the story line, rather than having 6 people each pulling their weight and opinions to shape the outcome.

Overall I just dont think most stories revolve teams, and partnerships.

Granted these modules or paths wouldnt find a customer base for a game designed to be played as something else, I thought there would be a lot of open content on it.

:smallsmile: Thanks for your opinion.

Thrudd
2016-09-12, 05:48 PM
So, I know people have asked before about the best adventures to play with a GM and a PC.. but, there is never a big list or support for it. I wanted to discuss, why?

Its obvious this is a multiplayer game and teamwork is the foundation, but at the same time... We are telling a story, a movie if you will, and most movies or stories have 1 main character/protagonist.

Wouldnt it make sense for a lot of material to be available for one hero to play out, save the day?

Also, if you know of any good ones, please let me know :biggrin:

Thank you.

Not all games are telling a story or a movie. They are often games about solving challenges and tactical thinking with a team of players, which take place in an exciting fictional setting.

Also, most games are more fun with more people. So even if it isn't the most common convention in movies or novels, having an ensemble cast makes the game a more social experience.

Of course, most role playing games can work perfectly well with just one player, since the GM controls everything and can set the power level of the player and the challenges they face. Especially story games which emphasize narrative rather than challenge, just prepare a story appropriate for a single character.