PDA

View Full Version : Vigilante PC

Rothgar Ironmit
2016-09-12, 01:38 PM
So im switching characters in my friends campaign and im thinking of playing Pathfinders Vigilante class.

So the part I need help with is coming up with my civilian persona which is someone who is supposed to be well known for something in the world like a politician (i dont want to be that) but I also cant decide what to do im thinking sculptor which could explain my sudden abbsences like BAM! Artists inspiration but im unsure.

What do you guys think I should make my civilian persona be well known for that can work in a medieval fantasy setting like D&D/Pathfinder that would be efficient for the game and make sense at the same time

Gallowglass
2016-09-12, 01:46 PM
"Frederick Von Wilhemshire was the finest sausage salesman in the tri-village area. You could always depend on him for a hot polish... by day...."

"...but at night..."

"The Weinerheimer ruled the streets!"

Red Fel
2016-09-12, 01:48 PM
What do you guys think I should make my civilian persona be well known for that can work in a medieval fantasy setting like D&D/Pathfinder that would be efficient for the game and make sense at the same time

Depending on the context, have you considered professional scribe?

In some medieval settings, literacy is extremely uncommon. Even among local leaders, such as village elders or town mayors. However, any interaction with the local lord or seat of power, such as tax audits, tithes of food or supplies, letters of passage, or requests for military aid, is likely to be in writing.

The solution? Professional scribe. He reads and writes so you don't have to!

You can be that scribe. Travel to poor downs that can't afford to hire a permanent scribe, write a few reports for them for a modest fee, and be about your way. In wealthier towns that have a permanent government scribe, hiring a scribe's services might be seen as a sign of wealth and status - get paid by a merchant or lesser noble to draft some documents or transcribe notes for them.

Selling your literacy for profit does two things. First, it gives you a reason to be places. An itinerant scribe is not a rich man, so you have reason to be in the poorer parts of town. But he does serve the wealthy and powerful, giving you reason to be in the nicer parts of town. And because he's merely "the help," he becomes mostly invisible; because much of what he transcribes is important, he can see valuable or vital documents without raising suspicion. Second, it creates a deceptive image. The scribe is the Clark Kent to the Vigilante's Superman - weak, bookish, underestimated. He's a pale little nerd who spends all day hunched over scrolls and ink, adjusting a writer's monocle. Nobody would ever connect that frail little writer with the mighty and terrifying hero who stalks the city at night.

D.M.Hentchel
2016-09-12, 04:00 PM
My personal favorite is having your social persona be the lead detective trying to capture your vigilante persona.

Edit: And you're always "A mintue too late to stop the crime" of this dangerous vigilante.

Elder_Basilisk
2016-09-12, 04:42 PM
I recommend reading Jonathan Moeller's Ghost series for inspirations.

A lot is going to depend on what you want to get out of your social identity. If it's just a "secret identity" like Clark Kent or Peter Parker then it doesn't matter much. It just says you don't go to bed in your super-suit. On the other hand, if it's an identity you plan to use for investigations and to make contacts, then you may want more. In the movies, Batman does a fair amount of investigation as Bruce Wayne. So if that's your goal, you'll want to be more careful in selecting your social identity.

Here are a few ideas for potential identities.

You already suggested sculptor. It can explain your absences--especially if you carve in a private studio and people expect artists to be somewhat eccentric. (I'm not entirely sure that is a medieval/renaissance expectation though, I think it may have come into fashion with the Romantics).
Merchant or merchant's factor is another good possibility. Jewel merchant or dealer in magical components and rare metals is a good choice too since your goods are very portable so it won't necessarily look odd if you don't have big wagon trains and don't immediately hire warehouses. Merchants can get all sorts of contacts and have reasons to talk to nearly anyone so you might be able to make some useful contacts.
Son or daughter of a minor and distant noble house is another strong option. Nothing major enough that people would have memorized detailed information on your family but just enough to get you invited to the right parties. (Being beautiful or rich will also help there).
Dissolute ex-adventurer is another possibility. Maybe you made your fortune reclaiming Sterich and retired to Greyhawk (for example) to drink all your loot away. It's essentially the rich playboy cover that Bruce Wayne uses but refluffed for a D&D world and having absolutely no responsibilities.
Depending upon the setting, gladiator might be a possibility too. You wouldn't need to explain any mysterious injuries and if it is a prestigious role, it might open some social options up.

Psyren
2016-09-12, 11:33 PM
So im switching characters in my friends campaign and im thinking of playing Pathfinders Vigilante class.

So the part I need help with is coming up with my civilian persona which is someone who is supposed to be well known for something in the world like a politician (i dont want to be that) but I also cant decide what to do im thinking sculptor which could explain my sudden abbsences like BAM! Artists inspiration but im unsure.

Go with the classic - foppish social dilettante with too much wealth and no real agenda. I forget where I read it, but there's an article that says Bruce Wayne is basically a male Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian, and goes on to say that it's actually the perfect alter ego. After all, would you suspect Paris Hilton of secretly being the world's greatest detective and crimefighter?

Sapreaver
2016-09-13, 12:10 AM
If you go with sculptor, can being a vigilante provide the means to turn creatures to stone? If your absent for a while and thenjl have not produced something well... people might get suspicious.

ekarney
2016-09-13, 01:07 AM
My personal favorite is having your social persona be the lead detective trying to capture your vigilante persona.

Edit: And you're always "A mintue too late to stop the crime" of this dangerous vigilante.

This one is my favorite, I vote for this.

Edit: Alternatively, have your day time persona be professional villain, where's that dastard gone during the night? Probably to do something nefarious they'll never suspect that you're actually ridding the world of evil.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-09-13, 09:09 PM
Perhaps a strolling minstrel? You can even sing stories of your own deeds, sort of life Peter Parker.