PDA

View Full Version : Elder Evil Conversion: The Leviathan

Regitnui
2016-09-12, 03:36 PM
I have a pirate adventure, and so I'd like to have it rounded off by fighting the greatest child of Khyber; the leviathan. Now I'm not sure who has the 3.5 book "Elder Evils", but the creatures I'd like to use are the Aspect of Leviathan (page 68) and Axihuatl, a vampiric Ixitxachitl (page 69, and don't ask me to pronounce either the name or ixitxachitl). I want to know if anyone's heard of a good Monster Conversion tool, or seen an Ixitattach monster stat block for 5e, or has converted these monsters already and is willing to share.

Thanks in advance, Playgrounders

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-12, 04:19 PM
Converting from 3.5 to 5 can be tricky and buggy. There is the Kraken in the Monster Manual that lists them as "Leviathans of Legend" and are a heck of a fight. If you're looking for a lower CR a Dragon Turtle or an Aboleth would make good substitutes.

Belac93
2016-09-12, 06:29 PM
I have a pirate adventure, and so I'd like to have it rounded off by fighting the greatest child of Khyber; the leviathan. Now I'm not sure who has the 3.5 book "Elder Evils", but the creatures I'd like to use are the Aspect of Leviathan (page 68) and Axihuatl, a vampiric Ixitxachitl (page 69, and don't ask me to pronounce either the name or ixitxachitl). I want to know if anyone's heard of a good Monster Conversion tool, or seen an Ixitattach monster stat block for 5e, or has converted these monsters already and is willing to share.

Thanks in advance, Playgrounders

Check out Rage of Demons for the ixitxachitl.

Also, by my non-existent grasp of words, I think it's pronounced Ix-it-csa-chi-til, and Axe-ih-oo-a-til.

For a monster conversion tool, my signature has a list of 5e online resources thread, and it has a monster conversion pdf made by Wizards of the Coast.

Regitnui
2016-09-13, 12:53 AM
Thanks Belac. I didn't known the Exitattle was in Rage of Demons. That'll help tremendously.

The Kraken is a possible substitute for the Aspect of Leviathan. I'll start there and homebrew.

Nah Son
2016-09-13, 02:28 AM
I mean, you could keep your pronunciations; they're much more fun! Ixitxachitls are actually a Mesoamerican thing, so I thing it's "eesh-eet-SHACH-eet-l" (splice the t and l as quick as you can) and "ash-ee-HWAT-l".

As far as the stat block goes, a unique monster like that hasn't found its way into any good generator I know of. It might be a lot of work, but in order to get the most of the Aspect's nastier qualities, I would probably make a list of all of its features and attacks that were relevant in 3.5 and brainstorm ways to port them over. On a first look, some of it should be a cinch--and some certainly won't.

Regitnui
2016-09-13, 02:34 PM
I mean, you could keep your pronunciations; they're much more fun! Ixitxachitls are actually a Mesoamerican thing, so I thing it's "eesh-eet-SHACH-eet-l" (splice the t and l as quick as you can) and "ash-ee-HWAT-l".

As far as the stat block goes, a unique monster like that hasn't found its way into any good generator I know of. It might be a lot of work, but in order to get the most of the Aspect's nastier qualities, I would probably make a list of all of its features and attacks that were relevant in 3.5 and brainstorm ways to port them over. On a first look, some of it should be a cinch--and some certainly won't.

I know. At least the Icksprattle was strange enough to make it into an adventure. The Swallow Whole and the Wild Magic abilities would be two of the easier ones. For the latter, I'd take a few of the more harmless wild magic surges and tie them in.