PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying New Bard Subclass: College of Delusion

kandikaen
2016-09-12, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, I was trying to build a bard college based off the beguiler, but I really couldn't find any that were really inspired. I stepped back and thought that in my mind this kind of class would play as a mix between an enchanter and an illusionist wizard, but be weaker than both since it was splitting it's attention. So I came up with the Bardic College of Delusion!
This is the sixth version, starting from a template that was in it's third version, so please lay on the buffs/nerfs! Rounds 1-3 built it up. 4-5 tore it down to bare bones, version 6 added flavor, so I'm prepared for version 7-1k! :smallsmile:
I can't post links yet apparently so here it is!

New Bard College

College of Deluson
Some hold true that truth is above all else, the deluder believies that lies can be true as long as you belive them to be. Everyone lives in a constant state of deception. White lies, false smiles, and secret thoughts are all parts of day to day life. Honesty is a virtue only up to a certain point. Bards of the College of Delusion understand these ideas better than anyone, and they use deception, misunderstanding, and secrets to change lies into truths and truths into lies. A student of the college of Delusion manipulates what you already believe to be real. A Deluder uses their charm to learn your beliefs and your weaknesses so that any unlucky enough to cross a member of this college may never know they were seeing an illusion or being charmed at all.

Bonus Proficiencies
Joining the College of Delsuion is a commitment to being in the background. Your magic comes from no one ever knowing you had magic to begin.

When you join the College of Delusion at 3rd level, gain proficiency with a Gaming set or Disguise kit. You also gain proficiency with your pick of any Charisma or Dexterity based skill. You specialize in changing how others experience the world, as a result you also may learn either friends, minor illusion, or prestidigitation as a cantrip.

Siren’s Song:
Starting at 3rd Level, as an action, you play a beguiling tune and proceed to sing, creatures that can hear you within 30ft of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails it’s saving throw, it is charmed by you for 1 minute or until it takes damage.

Creatures that step into range of your Siren’s Song must make a Wisdom saving throw or be affected by the ability. If they are hostile to you they get advantage on the saving throw.

On each of your turns up to 1 minute, you may continue the Siren’s Song with a bonus action; this Siren’s Song also requires your concentration to maintain, you main increase the duration of Siren's Song for an additional minute for each inspiration dice expended to maintain the song. This feature may only be used once per long rest.

When charmed, if you choose, creatures may act inebriated, lustful, or another effect of your choosing.

Subtle Delusion
A Deluder's true power comes from them being able to put you in an illusion or to enchant you without you ever knowing. The Deluder knows that the best illusions are simple yet multifaceted and secretly combines illusions to make them more potent.

Starting at 6th level, whenever you cast a spell, you can spend an inspiration die to ignore the verbal and somatic components of that spell.

Additionally, after casting either Prestidigitation or Minor Illusion, you may spend a bonus action to cast the other (Prestidigitation or Minor Illusion) to bolster the spell's effects.

Bizarre Behavior
As a delusionist, you've learned to take what you can get. You believe that everyone gets whats coming to them, and you know how to make sure that you get something for your hard work too. As a result starting at 14th level, any time you give an ally an inspiration dice you may give yourself a d6 inspiration dice as well for free.

clash
2016-09-12, 10:20 PM
Bonus Proficiencies
Joining the College of Delsuion is a commitment to being in the background. Your magic comes from no one ever knowing you had magic to begin.

When you join the College of Delusion at 3rd level, gain proficiency with a Gaming set or Disguise kit. You also gain proficiency with your pick of any Charisma or Dexterity based skill. You specialize in changing how others experience the world, as a result you also may learn either friends, minor illusion, or prestidigitation as a cantrip.

These work, very thematic and right

Siren’s Song:
Starting at 3rd Level, as an action, you play a beguiling tune and proceed to sing, creatures that can hear you within 30ft of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails it’s saving throw, it is charmed by you for 1 minute or until it takes damage.

Creatures that step into range of your Siren’s Song must make a Wisdom saving throw or be affected by the ability. If they are hostile to you they get advantage on the saving throw.

On each of your turns up to 1 minute, you may continue the Siren’s Song with a bonus action; this Siren’s Song also requires your concentration to maintain, you main increase the duration of Siren's Song for an additional minute for each inspiration dice expended to maintain the song. This feature may only be used once per long rest.

When charmed, if you choose, creatures may act inebriated, lustful, or another effect of your choosing.

This ability concerns me in a few ways. effecting all creatures with bardica dice adding mintues and adding a random effect. It kinda seems to me an overly complicated ability that is less in line with what bards should be getting here

Subtle Delusion
A Deluder's true power comes from them being able to put you in an illusion or to enchant you without you ever knowing. The Deluder knows that the best illusions are simple yet multifaceted and secretly combines illusions to make them more potent.

Starting at 6th level, whenever you cast a spell, you can spend an inspiration die to ignore the verbal and somatic components of that spell.

Additionally, after casting either Prestidigitation or Minor Illusion, you may spend a bonus action to cast the other (Prestidigitation or Minor Illusion) to bolster the spell's effects.

This ability I would say is too weak when compared to magical secrets and extra attack but it is strong enough for what the class wants to do so I might just leave it as is.

Bizarre Behavior
As a delusionist, you've learned to take what you can get. You believe that everyone gets whats coming to them, and you know how to make sure that you get something for your hard work too. As a result starting at 14th level, any time you give an ally an inspiration dice you may give yourself a d6 inspiration dice as well for free.
[/QUOTE]
This one is just plain risky and hard to judge. You are essentially doubling a bards use of inspiration dice for the day. I think I would shy away from that and do an ability more in line with illsuions and charming. I can give you some suggestions if you would like.

I think your on the right track but maybe not quite there yet. Keep at it.

kandikaen
2016-09-12, 10:27 PM
If you have suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them! The campaign it's for is in a few months so I'll take all the constructive criticism I can get!

clash
2016-09-13, 04:56 PM
Alright here is what I would do having taken another look at it:

1) Move Subtle delusion to level 3 and remove the minor illusion/prestidigitation part of it. The use of bardic inspiration seems more in line with what you want to do and in fact I may steal it for my College of Beauty archetype.
*Stolen. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499190-College-of-Beauty&p=21163813#post21163813

2) Sirens song actually wouldn't be out of place a 6th level, but remove the bardic inspiration dice and give simple straightforward definitions or drawbacks for each condition: ie Inebriated: Disadvantage on attack rolls.

3) 3.5 The beguiler was always about enchantment and illusion, I would add a strong illusion ability for the level 14 feature and maybe something always on. Ie. Mind over Matter: A delusionist's illusion spells are so powerful that even creatures who know them to be fake can be tricked into believing them again. If a creature disbelieves and illusion spell you cast, you can try to convince them otherwise before the start of their next turn. As a bonus action you can force them to remake their save.