PDA

View Full Version : Devotion isn't for clerics anymore, Warlocks and their pacts

NecroDancer
2016-09-12, 05:27 PM
I was wondering let's assume you start out as a feylock, assuming you never gave your soul up when you made your pact could you recreate your pact with a different being? Assuming you could find a demon lord or archdevil, convince it not to kill you, and then make a pact with it, would you lose your previous warlock abilities and gain the benefits of a feind warlock? Of course your former patron may be mad at you and send its agents to kill you and you would have to find the archfeind in the first place.

ZX6Rob
2016-09-12, 05:44 PM
Well, there's certainly no rules for the scenario you're describing, so whether or not that's possible depends entirely on your DM. If your patron is a major part of the campaign and an active element or antagonist, then I could see somehow betraying them to get a different set of powers, sure. I think the cleanest way to handle it is just to trade out your pact abilities from one with the other.

That said, I'd probably not want to open that door in one of my games. I imagine the nature of these pacts with incredibly powerful beings includes some manner of fail-safe to guard against this kind of betrayal. If not, it conjures somewhat silly images of playing patrons off one another.

"Yeah, no, I hear you, invisibility is a great spell, really good spell. It's just that Argosaxithus the Thrice Damned is offering me Fireball and the ability to see in total darkness, so you see my dilemma here. I mean, if you're willing to throw in Dominate Person at an earlier level, sure maybe we can deal..."

Ruslan
2016-09-12, 06:23 PM
"No, I totally get it. You want Fireball? Here, have one." *kaboom*