PDA

View Full Version : Luchador NPC

SMac8988
2016-09-12, 05:41 PM
Hello fellow Giants, back again looking to all the amazing people here for some advice.

So I am trying to formulate a Luchadorish character for my PCs to run into shortly. The goal to have him planned out from level 4 to 10; that way I am set no matter what level they run into him. My idea is that he is a heroic type, similar to Might Guy from Naruto.

I was thinking Goliath would be best, that way I can lift and throw any two members of my party. I'll roll his stats out to make it as fair as possible. I wanna give him some type of flaw, depending on class build I considered anything having him be kinda absent minded, or if needed just plan dumb.

I've considered Barb with a dip into rouge, giving me advantage on STR checks while raging, and the exper bump to my athletics. Also if I am getting advantage on my attacks, once downing them I could use a dagger or short sword and get that sweet sneak attack damage as well.

Secondary idea was Eld Knight and Bard. I know its two differing spell types, cha and int, but I figured i could just focus one set of spells i get on non-save spells. Bard gives the Exp, and level 8 Eld Knight gives enlarge for the advantage.

I know monk is also a solid choice, but I want to stay with more of a Str big meat tank, than have him being all dex-y.

So ya, thanks in advance all. I know Ill get some great advice here!

MBControl
2016-09-12, 06:07 PM
This is great. I have a luchador PC and it's fun. I assume he is a less serious guy, and more flavor based.

My lucha is a Dwarf, but I was basing mine on Nacho Libre. Goliath is cool too, even though Luchas tend to be smaller. If you want to stay true lucha, I would go open hand monk, then you can dip where you want. Lucha tends toward, small and highly athletic. If you are looking a Tank wrestler with a mask, straight up Barbarian will do the trick. Don't need to dip, but if you must, you must.

He should have the Grappler feat. and he should have really high acrobatics and performance.

I would give him vulnerability to chair/table/ladder damage, or other classic wrestling cheap shots. Sand in the eyes, low blows etc. He should also be very low on insight, as wrestlers are always super easy to fool.

His preferred method of attack is to jump off high things.

Dragon themes are rampant in the Lucha tradition, so that would be easy to incorporate. Maybe a follower of Tiamat or Bahamut.

If you want to go all out, you could add in a "manager" character, that only jumps into the fight when your luchador is losing, and runs away when targeted by attack.

Why not a large gold magical belt. scaled to the right level. Maybe it gives a CHA/STR/DEX bonus, or less broad for Intimidation, or Performance.

I think I'd also give him a special ability called KICK OUT. The first 3 times he is knocked to 0 HP he immediately gets back up with (some amount from 1-5) HP, but is stunned until his next turn.

Last but not least. Gotta have a great name. My Lucha, is actually a monk of the elements, and his name is El Avalancha.

SMac8988
2016-09-12, 06:15 PM
I had saw another build using 5 EK, 2 Art Wiz, and 1 Rogue that actually looks really good. You use the Wiz to build pots of enlarge and slam those bad boys like Bane.

As of now I am calling him Los Lobos le Muerte, and his mask is meant to look like a black wolf. I was considering to take the wolf totem barb for this as well, since it well worked. But I will grant advantage either way if i have them grappled.

I was going more the American style of wrestling, huge guy with a lot of one liners and catch phrases, but I like the idea of him wearing a mask and he never removes the mask.

If i go with EK build I need to look into spells, and how all I would be making the attacks. I am also terrible with figuring out cast levels and slots.

5 level Eld Knight + 2 Level Wizard = 4 level spells?

MBControl
2016-09-20, 07:46 PM
I read this recently, and it's a bit confusing, but here's what I gathered.

You can learn all spells at the levels allowed for your level in each individual class. Then for spell slots, you add your wizard levels (2) to one third of EK levels (rounded down to 2), and use that number on the chart provided in the PHB.

I would guess you would have 4 1st level slots, and 3 2nd level slots. The next level you reach would give you 2 3rd level slots.

I also remember that if the table gives you spell slots in levels higher than your class has allowed you to learn, you can cast lower level spells in the higher slots, if the spell is designed to scale with levels.

So in your case, 2 level wizard can learn 1st level spells, and 5th level EK can learn 1st level spells. So this would limit you to 1st level spells at this point, but if you had a spell like Earth Tremor for instance, if you use a 2nd level slot to cast it, you can increase the damage by 1d6.

From what I gather, you often end up with spell slots higher than level of spells you can learn. This is to represent the fact that you have more spell versatility, but not as high of power spells. With that in mind, they do assume that your PC has mastered the spells it does know, and gives you room to cast them at more powerful levels, so that you aren't underpowered in action.

MBControl
2016-09-20, 07:52 PM
I really like the build by the way. The mask and name are great, and I love the gimmick of drinking the enlarge potions. It's like cheating/steroids which is completely on brand for a big heel wrestler. If you have him making and using potions, maybe have some "acid" to throw in their eyes, a la the late great Mr. Fuji. Maybe it's a sleep potion, or blindness/deafness. You could even arrange for him to have some Dust of Sneezing and Choking, as outlined in the DMG pg 166.

Naanomi
2016-09-20, 08:21 PM
Luchadore Build:
V Human; Battlemaster 5/Lore Bard X
Feat: Tavern Brawler
Signature move: Punch -> Tripping Attack -> Bonus Grapple
Extensively use Cutting Words to reduce his opponant's abilities
(Add one level of Barbarian if wearing armor is ruining the aesthetic)

Socratov
2016-09-21, 02:17 AM
obligatory someone's been there before you dnd story post: Los Tiburon! (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Los_Tiburon)