PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making Sorcerers better than any other blasters?

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-12, 08:32 PM
I want to make Dragon Sorcerers better than any other blasters, things that I tought:

- Access to all spells lists.
- Elemental Affinity affects all separate rolls (E.g.: Each ray of the Scorching Ray now deals: 2d6+Cha).
- Elemental Affinity lets you change the energy of any spell that deals energy damage to the energy of your bloodline, if the spell requires a saving throw it will target the ability score from the list below that is based on your bloodline:
Acid - Dexterity
Lightning - Dexterity
Fire - Dexterity
Poison - Constitution
Cold - Constitution

- If your Dragonborn bloodline matches your Dragon Sorcerer Bloodline, Elemental Affinity gives you immunity instead of resistance, also, your Breath Weapon DC is 8 + Charisma + Proficiency Bonus and it is affected by the bonus damage given by elemental affinity and is also affected by metamagics as if it was a spell, you also gain a 60ft Darkvision.

What else can make the Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer into a god who crushes other blasters without too much unbalancing?

Degwerks
2016-09-12, 08:48 PM
Everything you listed, is pretty unbalancing as it is. Not exactly sure if your thread is serious or just goofing around.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-12, 08:55 PM
Everything you listed, is pretty unbalancing as it is. Not exactly sure if your thread is serious or just goofing around.

Except for the access to all spell lists and Immunity, there isn't much game breaking stuff, it may be unbalanced against the other unepic blasters with inferior fluff, but will not be broken like the god wizard from 3.X.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-12, 09:42 PM
The only changes I'd make to elemental affinity are:

Make the resistance either permanent, or not cost any sorcery points.

Make the damage bonus capped at once per turn, not once per spell. This would make many spells like Melf's Acid Arrow actually quite viable.

Any changing of spells like the 3.x energy substitution should probably be attached to the elemental adept feat.

Gastronomie
2016-09-12, 10:00 PM
- Access to all spells lists.This is generally a bad idea for anything in 5e.

- Elemental Affinity affects all separate rolls (E.g.: Each ray of the Scorching Ray now deals: 2d6+Cha).This is actually more reasonable, I mean, even with 6d6+15 that's not really that broken.

- Elemental Affinity lets you change the energy of any spell that deals energy damage to the energy of your bloodlineThis is something that should have been in the PHB from the start.

- if the spell requires a saving throw it will target the ability score from the list below that is based on your bloodline:
Acid - Dexterity
Lightning - Dexterity
Fire - Dexterity
Poison - Constitution
Cold - ConstitutionI don't know about this, I think it actually makes you weaker in how it only allows you to look at the saves of one ability score. Better to be versatile...

- If your Dragonborn bloodline matches your Dragon Sorcerer Bloodline, Elemental Affinity gives you immunity instead of resistance, also, your Breath Weapon DC is 8 + Charisma + Proficiency Bonus and it is affected by the bonus damage given by elemental affinity and is also affected by metamagics as if it was a spell, you also gain a 60ft Darkvision.This is acceptable, it makes no sense that Dragonborn make bad Draconic Sorcerers.

Except the first idea of giving Sorcerers access to all spells, I like your ideas. They're totally reasonable.

Also, though I don't despise stat-rolling as much as you seem to, I am oblidged to say that I really, really love your true signature.

Specter
2016-09-12, 10:20 PM
Other than the Dragonborn thing, don't do any of that. With Empower and Quicken Spell, they already deal more damage than other casters on a turn.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-12, 11:13 PM
Making a sorcerer better than any other blaster is easy and already in-game.
1. Take 2 or 3 levels of Warlock
2. Use Quicken Spell and Twin Spell

Done.

Gastronomie
2016-09-12, 11:26 PM
Making a sorcerer better than any other blaster is easy and already in-game.
1. Take 2 or 3 levels of Warlock
2. Use Quicken Spell and Twin Spell

Done.Yeah, because that's a solution to this thread.

Quintessence
2016-09-13, 12:43 AM
I'm afraid you would have to almost breakdown and remake the sorcerer class... The other option is deleting Warlock and Wizard from the game :smallwink:

TheUser
2016-09-13, 06:18 AM
I want to make Dragon Sorcerers better than any other blasters, things that I tought:

- Access to all spells lists.
- Elemental Affinity affects all separate rolls (E.g.: Each ray of the Scorching Ray now deals: 2d6+Cha).
- Elemental Affinity lets you change the energy of any spell that deals energy damage to the energy of your bloodline, if the spell requires a saving throw it will target the ability score from the list below that is based on your bloodline:
Acid - Dexterity
Lightning - Dexterity
Fire - Dexterity
Poison - Constitution
Cold - Constitution

- If your Dragonborn bloodline matches your Dragon Sorcerer Bloodline, Elemental Affinity gives you immunity instead of resistance, also, your Breath Weapon DC is 8 + Charisma + Proficiency Bonus and it is affected by the bonus damage given by elemental affinity and is also affected by metamagics as if it was a spell, you also gain a 60ft Darkvision.

What else can make the Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer into a god who crushes other blasters without too much unbalancing?

None of this is necessary if you can convince your DM to let you have access to the Spell Points variant found on DMG 288-289. Just make a Red Dragon Sorcerer then get Empower Spell. That's really all you need.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-13, 08:28 AM
None of this is necessary if you can convince your DM to let you have access to the Spell Points variant found on DMG 288-289. Just make a Red Dragon Sorcerer then get Empower Spell. That's really all you need.

I was just screwing with sorcerer haters, I'm glad that there is so many people who like the sorcerers. Except for the part below that I really liked, nothing else was serious, I just love dragons and anything draconic. I reported my own post to moderators, I guess they are occupied. Also I'm the DM, Spell Points IS my magic system, instead of that weird and impossible explain through roleplay Vancian Magic.