PDA

View Full Version : 4e Monster Expert: Ooze Master

solomani
2016-09-12, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was an NPC anywhere in 4e built around the Ooze Master theme?

So some context for my question. I play 5e and though I tried 4e it wasnt too my liking and apart from a couple one shots didnt play it. Having said that I have alwways felt that 4e monster design is superior to 3e/3.5/Pathfinder and, to be frank, generally better than 5e. So I often go back to the 4e compendium, look for monsters/npc counterparts of 5e mobs and then create my own version. I have found this approach to provide more interesting and less bloated monsters that are more fun for me to play and my players to fight against.

This brings me to the Pudding King in Out of the Abyss a thrall of Juibilex and crazy about pudding. I wondered if there was a 4e version of this guy (or something similarly themed) but my search skills have failed me OR one never existed outside the theme in the compendium.

Thanks in advance :)

Inevitability
2016-09-13, 10:51 AM
Well, you can just refluff appropriately-leveled monsters. Take the Kobold Slinger, for example. It should be easy to refluff it as an ooze-summoning mage.

solomani
2016-09-13, 07:07 PM
True, true. Was just curious if I was missing something as nice to see how others do it.

solomani
2016-09-16, 05:40 AM
Actually, filtering on artilery and ooze gave me a perfect example to build of - the Spawn of Juiblex Plague Hurler. Thanks for getting me thinking.

Inevitability
2016-09-18, 04:00 AM
Actually, filtering on artilery and ooze gave me a perfect example to build of - the Spawn of Juiblex Plague Hurler. Thanks for getting me thinking.

You're welcome. :smallsmile:

Robert D. Trayl
2016-10-19, 04:13 AM
Help me. Is a 4e Monster Manual compatible with 5e?

solomani
2016-10-19, 05:10 AM
Nope, need to conver them. I use them as inspiration as I think, individually, they are more itneresting than 5e monsters. For example (https://itsmygamemyrules.wordpress.com/2016/09/28/monsters-2-0-medusa/).