PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing some characters

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-08, 08:20 PM
I'm playing in a spelljammer campaign in a 3.0/3.5 hybrid game, starting level 10. We're going to be space pirates!

I've decided on a gray elf wiz5/MotAO5. While IotSV would mechanically work better for ship-to-ship combat with the veils, I think the class has a really lame flavor. It's too girly for me. I'm planning on playing buffer/debuffer/clever use of spells to shut down the opposition. For instance, a wall of force in the path of an oncoming ship, using the thin side to slice it in half.

I'll say this now:
Ray of Enfeeblement allows a fort save in 3.0!
For that reason, I'm gonna be using the ray that does a dex penalty.

The DM is brutal. He encourages powergaming so he can send the biggest, baddest, meanest things he can at us. He grew up playing 2.0, where arbitrarily crushing PCs was their version of fun. I anticipate more than your standard number of CR encounters/day. The DM says there will also be long months of uninterrupted space travel- plenty of time for crafting.

For this reason, he's letting a few of us take leadership, as well as the need for followers to crew the ship. I've decided to take an artificer as my cohort. He'll be able to outfit the party with magic equipment, as well as patch things up/build giant mechs.

Now, I need to figure out my feat selection for these two characters.

Here's what I have, currently.
Wizard:
improved familiar (quasit) [this is staying, even if it ain't terrific]
spell penetration
spell penetration, greater
Extend Spell
Leadership
Arcane Mastery (the one that lets you take ten on caster level checks)

Artificer (human):
The feat that reduces item creation base cost by 25% x3
Max. spell
emp. spell
sculpt spell
quicken spell

The idea is that the artificer makes metamagic rods for the wiz to use. However, looking at the 3.5 rules, all metamagic rods have a CL of 17 to create. I also can only use one metmagic rod per spell cast.

Using assay spell resistance and spell vulnerablity, I don't need the spell penetrations. I could even get rid of the arcane mastery; but I'd rather keep it because taking ten is much more reliable.

Basically, I want the wizard to be able to
1) cast debuffs (rays that penalize ability scores, ennervation) that give meaningful penalties
2) sculpt wall spells for both offense and defense

and the artificer to
1) back the wizard up with the necessary items
2) create said items in a timely, cheap, manner

Here's what I'm thinking:
wizard feats:
improved familiar (quasit) [this is staying, even if it ain't terrific]
split ray
Extend Spell
Leadership
Arcane Mastery (the one that lets you take ten on caster level checks)
Persistent spell

Then the artificer would drop some of the metamagic feats fro feats that lower xp and time for crafting, and grab the metamagic feats at later levels when they're useful.

In battle, against a big bad foe, he'd use assay spell resistance from a wand as an immediate action; this would give him a caster level check of 30. He can pretty much break the SR of anything but a Solar.

Ennervate.

Ennervate only does 1d4 negative levels. I want it to do more. What would be the most efficient and effective way to ennervate for more at level 10?

Otherwise, I plan on hasting my party, destorying their ship, keeping them from moving around, etc.

Second:
My friend wants to play a thri-kreen rogue that uses handcrossbows that are acually demons from an issue of Dragon magazine. They reload themselves as a free action; with multidexterity, multiweapon and rapid shot fighting he's getting something like 9 attacks a round.

However, the crossbows are mad expensive, as they each give two bonus feats (precise shot and rapid reload), and count as +2 weapons. They also shout out that they're willing to work for the highest bidder in battle. My DM will take full advantage of this, especially when he sees the thri-kreen pumping out a bushel of d6/round.

I was thinking Thri-Kreen rogue 3/fighter2/Masterthrower1 with palm throw.

Feats:
Multidexterity
Multiweapon fighting
Point Blank Shot
Weapon Focus: Darts (ftr bonus)
Rapid Shot (ftr bonus)

This would give him... 13 attacks/round?
Am I reading the description of rapid shot and plam throw right?
One extra attack/round with a ranged weapon, and he has 4 arms, so 4 ranged weapons would give him 8 attacks/round, and with palm throw, he gets another attack on all those, then one more attack for his BAB.

Gralamin
2007-07-08, 08:25 PM
The feat that reduces item creation base cost by 25% x3 That was Erratia'd, its once, ever.

As for Envenerating for more, thats your artificers job. He can deal a huge amount of damage by draining charges.

Also, If you can get your hands on it, Use Tome of Battle for your Thri-kreen friend. Tiger Claw works very well with Thri-kreens. However that's melee.
Also Consider the improved/greater Multiweapon fighting.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-08, 08:27 PM
That was Erratia'd, its once, ever.

Not in the book we've got :smallsmile:

Gralamin
2007-07-08, 08:30 PM
Not in the book we've got :smallsmile:

It saids so in the Eberron Campaign setting that yes, you can. However, According to official errata, You cannot.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/ECSerrata_02062006.zip

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-08, 08:33 PM
It saids so in the Eberron Campaign setting that yes, you can. However, According to official errata, You cannot.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/ECSerrata_02062006.zip

Also, according to official errata, intuit direction and wilderness lore were rolled into survival, and pick pocket = sleight of hand.

Haste doesn't grant another partial action, in official errata, either.

But, in the game we're playing, these be the rules.

I should also mention that there aren't any metamagic rods for core metamagic spells, such as maximize, empower, quicken, etc.

Gralamin
2007-07-08, 08:38 PM
I then recommend going Artificer. Metamagic Spell Trigger can be used multiple times/round.

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-08, 08:40 PM
I then recommend going Artificer. Metamagic Spell Trigger can be used multiple times/round.

That was my original plan.
However, too much bookkeeping, and I'd rather have the artificer as engineer and play the ship's naturalist.

It would also be so horribly broken I would be shut down by my DM like whoa.

Gralamin
2007-07-08, 08:44 PM
That leaves you with one choice really.
Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500)

Lemur
2007-07-08, 10:30 PM
What? IotSFV is girly? It's just a respectable wizard class based around using rainbow power to defeat it's oppo- oh.

:smallwink:

It took me a while to remember what MotAO stood for, but it's a decent prestige class, so no real worries there. If you want to milk a bit more out though, going Wiz 5/MotAO 2/Fatespinner 3 would give you some useful tricks (take one more level of Fatespinner when you level, skipping the last level, then go back to MotAO).

It's not really a big deal if you don't want to, since the pivotal part of building a wizard is more about feat and spell selection instead of prestige prestige classes. Still, Fatespinner does have good both good flavor and crunchy bits for space pirates.

I can't think of any ways to improve enervation at level 10, although using Split Ray at level 11 seems like it would be okay.

For the Thri Kreen, Master Thrower is probably the best bet.

I'd probably go for something like Rgr 1/Ftr 2/MT 3 (or Rgr 2/ Ftr 2/MT 2, if you really want Rapid shot now) and take master thrower to completion to get the Weak Spot trick (I'd favor Trip Shot at the trick to take at level 3). If at all possible, try to take the ECL 3 thri kreen instead of the ECL 4 psionic one.

Feats:
Multiweapon Fighting
Multidexterity
(Rapid Shot (Ranger combat style))
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Weapon Focus (dart or dagger. Dagger if you think you'll be able to get tons of money to afford lots of returning wounding daggers.)

Take power attack, brutal throw, and power shot as the next 3 feats (necessarily in that order).
With a base attack of +8/+3, add 3 more from multiweapon fighting for +5/+5/+5/+5/+1 (without other modifiers). If you've got rapid shot as well, it goes to +3/+3/+3/+3/+3/-1.

Palm toss lets you throw two weapons for each attack roll without strength to damage, so he'd get 5-6 attacks with effectively double damage. The errata for CW says you don't get precision-based damage, (like sneak attack) on the second weapon, but power shot is neither damage from strength, nor precision damage, so the second weapon gets the bonus damage as well. Once you get power shot, palm toss, and weak spot working together, you've got an impressive short ranged damage machine.