PDA

View Full Version : Half Dragon Vampire

flappeercraft
2016-09-12, 10:53 PM
Is it possible to have a combination of a Half Dragon and a Vampire?

LTwerewolf
2016-09-12, 10:59 PM
They are mutually exclusive. Half-dragon requires the target to be living, and corporeal. Vampires don't qualify for the first. Vampires require humanoid or monstrous humanoid, when half-dragon changes you to dragon.

Thurbane
2016-09-12, 11:11 PM
You have two options, that I know of:

1.) A Half-human Dragon, with the Human Heritage feat (Races of destiny) should be a legal recipient of the Vampire Template (as long as it meets all other reqs, i.e. minimum number of HD)

2.) The Monstrous Vampire template (Ghostwalk) can be applied to dragons.

You might also be able to use the Vampiric Dragon template (Draconomicon), depending on how you read the wording. It requires a dragon of at least adult age - this might indicate that it is only for dragons with age categories, but it could also be argued that any dragon type creature that has reached adulthood would qualify.

Ruethgar
2016-09-12, 11:49 PM
There are also the Draconic and Half Dragon classes which have no prerequisites unlike the template.

Inevitability
2016-09-13, 12:07 AM
Corner case: if the half-dragon's base creature was a True Dragon already, it can become a Draconic Vampire. So a half-gold dragon silver dragon, half-red dragon blue dragon or (arguably) half-black dragon dragonwrought kobold could all do it.

AlanBruce
2016-09-13, 12:34 AM
I remember a Dragon Magazine article printed years ago (forget which edition). In it, they went into great detail about Lolth's Elite Forces.

Amongst them- and considered the leader of this team- was a half dragon drow vampire cleric, if I'm not mistaken.

Then again, it;s been awhile since I read that article, but pretty sure she was a half dragon and a vampire.

They also had a drider sorcerer in the team- not a group favorite according to the article.

Psyren
2016-09-13, 04:10 PM
Is it possible to have a combination of a Half Dragon and a Vampire?

Your thread doesn't specify edition, so I'll give the Pathfinder answer - yes, Dragons can become Vampires in PF, the template can get added to nearly anything living.

No brains
2016-09-13, 06:22 PM
I think the Half-Vampire template only worked on humanoids and monstrous humanoids, so I don't think it could work that way. I guess a half-vampire with the dragonblood subtype could kinda, sorta, count as what you wanted if you squint really hard... :smallsmile:

elonin
2016-09-13, 06:30 PM
Isn't this a case of just applying the 1/2 dragon template first. Unless their immune to vampirism.

LTwerewolf
2016-09-13, 06:31 PM
Isn't this a case of just applying the 1/2 dragon template first. Unless their immune to vampirism.

In pathfinder yes, in d&d no. In d&d vampire is restricted to humanoid and monstrous humanoid, which half-dragons are not. Also, depending on how you read it, in pathfinder you would need dm permission if the creature wasn't fey, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid.

EyethatBinds
2016-09-13, 06:52 PM
Technically, a vampire duskblade5/Dragon Disciple10 would get the half dragon template applied when they hit level 15 (ECL 23) in 3.5 rules. In that it states the character must only be a non-dragon and meet the other requirements to start the class (vampires must be level 5 or they would be vampire wights) and then after 10 levels would gain that template.

This might not be the best build though.

Thurbane
2016-09-13, 08:11 PM
Honestly, I think the simplest answer (assuming 3.5) is the Monstrous Vampire template (Ghostwalk, p.166). It's (more-or-less) functionally identical to Vampire, and specifically can be applied to creatures of the Dragon type.

It is updated in the 3.5 Ghostalk update, but the "changes" are very minor.

As a bonus, unless normal Vampire, it does not seem to have a minimum HD req, so you could have the template from 1st level.

BioCharge
2016-09-13, 08:52 PM
There's also the Vampiric Dragon template from Draconomicon. It just says it can be added to any Dragon of "at least adult age," but makes no mention of requiring to be a True Dragon.