PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Custom Rod of Wonder

NerdHut
2016-09-13, 03:00 AM
I've got a custom Rod of Wonder I've been working on for my E6 campaign. Technically my players have already found it, but it's locked inside a small adamantine chest. I feel like some of the effects are kind of "meh" and I was hoping for some input on what you'd personally put in there (Players are all level three, so nothing insanely powerfull).

When the effect says "target" I'm ruling it as whatever the rod is aimed at, or if it's not aimed at anything in particular, whichever person/item is closest to the wielder.
Currently, the possible effects include (but are not limitted to):
Daze target for one round
Target increases one size category for 1 hour
Target decreases one size category for 1 hour
Roll d4, summon 1) Baleen Whale 2) Black Bear 3) Rat 4) Owlbear
Target falls asleep (no save)
Cause/Cure Blindness (no save)
Cause/Cure Deafness (no save)
Target begins to float (for DM amusement)
Rod lets out intense shriek for 1 minute (DC15 Fort within 20 ft, or deaf for 1d4 hours)
Wielder begins to laugh uncontrollably (falling prone) for 6 rounds (DC15 Will)
Lightning bolt deals 3d6 damage to target
Gust of wind pushes target and wielder back 10 ft
Wielder increases one size category for 1 hour
Wielder decreases one size category for 1 hour
Clean, drinkable water flows out of rod (6 gallons over 1 minute)
Rod glows like torch until activated again
Heal target 2d8+10
Swarm of butterflies emanates from rod
Target hallucinates creature in front of them (DM choice)
Rain begins to fall in 30-ft Radius around wielder, or filling the room if less than 60x60 (5 minutes)
Turn target to stone (but stone salve is miraculously available in the next town, for cheap)
Summon swarm of centipedes
Wielder turns 1) blue 2) green 3) purple (no save)
Wielder dies (DC 5 Fort)
Wielder summons permanent copy of self, without equipment, but with clothes (NPC, players cannot control it)
Wielder’s HP doubles for 24 hours
Wielder learns new language of DM’s choice
Wielder turns into cat until rod is next activated
Random person within 20 feet falls asleep for 4d6 hours
Wielder is effected by haste for 2 hours
Wielder is effected by slow for 2 hours
Wielder gains +2 to (roll d6) 1) STR 2) DEX 3) CON 4) INT 5) WIS 6) CHA for 24 hours
Wielder loses -2 to (roll d6) 1) STR 2) DEX 3) CON 4) INT 5) WIS 6) CHA for 24 hours
Wielder cannot speak for 24 hours
Target now has tusks (and gains appropriate gore attack)
Target must sing everything they say until remove curse cast (cannot whisper)
Summons 1000 gp above target (deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage)
Target’s eyes now glow
Summon a Kuo-toa that follows the wielder like a puppy
Summons a small rock, weighing 2lbs, which the wielder loves unconditionally, and will never get rid of
Wielder’s hair grows at accelerated rate when lying

Quertus
2016-09-13, 05:24 PM
I've got a custom Rod of Wonder I've been working on for my E6 campaign. Technically my players have already found it, but it's locked inside a small adamantine chest. I feel like some of the effects are kind of "meh" and I was hoping for some input on what you'd personally put in there (Players are all level three, so nothing insanely powerfull).

When the effect says "target" I'm ruling it as whatever the rod is aimed at, or if it's not aimed at anything in particular, whichever person/item is closest to the wielder.
Currently, the possible effects include (but are not limitted to):
Daze target for one round
Target increases one size category for 1 hour
Target decreases one size category for 1 hour
Roll d4, summon 1) Baleen Whale 2) Black Bear 3) Rat 4) Owlbear
Target falls asleep (no save)
Cause/Cure Blindness (no save)
Cause/Cure Deafness (no save)
Target begins to float (for DM amusement)
Rod lets out intense shriek for 1 minute (DC15 Fort within 20 ft, or deaf for 1d4 hours)
Wielder begins to laugh uncontrollably (falling prone) for 6 rounds (DC15 Will)
Lightning bolt deals 3d6 damage to target
Gust of wind pushes target and wielder back 10 ft
Wielder increases one size category for 1 hour
Wielder decreases one size category for 1 hour
Clean, drinkable water flows out of rod (6 gallons over 1 minute)
Rod glows like torch until activated again
Heal target 2d8+10
Swarm of butterflies emanates from rod
Target hallucinates creature in front of them (DM choice)
Rain begins to fall in 30-ft Radius around wielder, or filling the room if less than 60x60 (5 minutes)
Turn target to stone (but stone salve is miraculously available in the next town, for cheap)
Summon swarm of centipedes
Wielder turns 1) blue 2) green 3) purple (no save)
Wielder dies (DC 5 Fort)
Wielder summons permanent copy of self, without equipment, but with clothes (NPC, players cannot control it)
Wielder’s HP doubles for 24 hours
Wielder learns new language of DM’s choice
Wielder turns into cat until rod is next activated
Random person within 20 feet falls asleep for 4d6 hours
Wielder is effected by haste for 2 hours
Wielder is effected by slow for 2 hours
Wielder gains +2 to (roll d6) 1) STR 2) DEX 3) CON 4) INT 5) WIS 6) CHA for 24 hours
Wielder loses -2 to (roll d6) 1) STR 2) DEX 3) CON 4) INT 5) WIS 6) CHA for 24 hours
Wielder cannot speak for 24 hours
Target now has tusks (and gains appropriate gore attack)
Target must sing everything they say until remove curse cast (cannot whisper)
Summons 1000 gp above target (deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage)
Target’s eyes now glow
Summon a Kuo-toa that follows the wielder like a puppy
Summons a small rock, weighing 2lbs, which the wielder loves unconditionally, and will never get rid of
Wielder’s hair grows at accelerated rate when lying

Well, you've got a sack of 1000 gps appearing on some rolls, so, do like I did with my fist Rod of Wonder: hand it off to your followers to use to generate you a fortune.

Having no save effects is rather strong.

How long do the summons last? Can you kill them and eat them sell their meat?

How long do the tusks / glowing eyes last? Save? This is something where you could have a large swath of numbers with a single entry that refers to a whole table of minor transformations...

Do the bonuses / penalties to stats have a type ? Do they stack?

How long does the lie detector last? Can it and the loadstone be removed with dispel magic? Remove curse?

NerdHut
2016-09-13, 08:42 PM
Well, you've got a sack of 1000 gps appearing on some rolls, so, do like I did with my fist Rod of Wonder: hand it off to your followers to use to generate you a fortune.

Having no save effects is rather strong.

How long do the summons last? Can you kill them and eat them sell their meat?

How long do the tusks / glowing eyes last? Save? This is something where you could have a large swath of numbers with a single entry that refers to a whole table of minor transformations...

Do the bonuses / penalties to stats have a type ? Do they stack?

How long does the lie detector last? Can it and the loadstone be removed with dispel magic? Remove curse?

This party doesn't get normal followers. The second they hand that rod to someone in an attempt to make an automated profit, they risk losing the rod forever.

A couple of the no-save effects are pulled from the original RoW, and I'm thinking they'll have a set duration. I just haven't settled on one yet.

For most of the summons, I'm figuring the summons will be permanent. They'll have to fight some of those things as normal, and if they get the Baleen and think to sell it's meat, good for them. The Kuo-toa will stay with them for as long as they let it.

I'm not sure how long I want the tusks/eyes to last. My players will never see the actual list of effects, so I may wait until it comes into effect and find a duration that works during play.

Yes, the bonuses/penalties to stats stack. Any temporary bonuses I give as a DM are in the "DM Bonus" category, which can stack with itself (like natural armor)

The Lie-Fertilized hair didn't originally have a duration. I may make it a week/tenday. The stone, though, will be removable only through party intervention (like remove curse, or straight-up destroying it while the owner sleeps). The person "awarded" the stone loves it after all, so why would they want to dispose of it?