PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item to suddenly increase your weight

GenericClone
2016-09-13, 04:02 AM
I am looking for a item that will be able to be activated to make my character heavier for a short time.

I am looking for this because I have a gnome rogue that has a wire garrotte that he uses to hook around an enemies throat and hang them by jumping off a rafter of some sort. Dealing sneak attack damage, restraining them, silencing them, and asphyxiating and them.

I haven't been able to find anything but I have thought of having something really heavy in a bag of holding that I take out right before doing this or having an immovable rod attached that I click on when my downward force was enough to lift them so they are choking. Probably will have the rod regardless since then I can lock them in place and take other actions, but I would like to be able to hoist them higher.

Without that weight I think they would just be able to pull the garrotte, to loosen and take it off, even with me hanging from it. Plus unless I raise them an ally could probably help them easily.

Thanks in advance.

Name1
2016-09-13, 04:15 AM
How about food? Makes me increase my weight just by looking at it...

In all seriousness though: A use-activated item of enlarge person would multiply your weight by 8 on use and if you can get your DM to approve a custom item of augmented expansion, we'd look at an increase of either 8, 16 or 6, depending on your interpretation of it.

Willie the Duck
2016-09-13, 07:08 AM
Given the changes that had to be made to the monster summon spells between 3.0 and 3.5 (too many people summoning whales, and specifying that they appeared over their opponents) I highly doubt there is a RAW application.

The immovable rod sounds like a decent idea. Having a strong earth elemental familiar or similar to simply pull down on the garrote would work. Tie the garrote to a horse and smack it on the rump (although that is hardly stealthy).

Inevitability
2016-09-13, 08:29 AM
Get a gauntlet that permanently affects you with Reduce Person and one that does the same for Enlarge Person. Wear one, and use a Ring of Arming keyed to both gauntlets. This allows you to multiple your weight by 64 as a standard action. Note that this will only increase your weight compared to your natural form by 8, though.

Necroticplague
2016-09-13, 08:44 AM
A custom item of Iron Body multiplies your weight by ten. Probably appropriate for a cloak, belt, or shirt slot item.

Side note, where are you getting your rules for garrotes? The only two sources I can find for them represent 'you can't apply enough force to strangle them' with a grapple. Maintain the grapple, you keep choking them; they escape, they manage to slip it off/throw you off.

Bohandas
2016-09-13, 11:57 AM
Does enlarge person change your mass?

Name1
2016-09-13, 12:00 PM
Does enlarge person change your mass?

Yeah, it multiplies it by 8.

GenericClone
2016-09-13, 12:09 PM
Side note, where are you getting your rules for garrotes? The only two sources I can find for them represent 'you can't apply enough force to strangle them' with a grapple. Maintain the grapple, you keep choking them; they escape, they manage to slip it off/throw you off.

Just using this homebrew but modified for this particular application between the DM and I. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Garrote_(3.5e_Equipment)

GenericClone
2016-09-13, 12:50 PM
How about food? Makes me increase my weight just by looking at it...

Lmao

In all seriousness though: A use-activated item of enlarge person would multiply your weight by 8 on use and if you can get your DM to approve a custom item of augmented expansion, we'd look at an increase of either 8, 16 or 6, depending on your interpretation of it.

The enlarge person might work. Maybe get a ring of growth that functions only 2.5 minutes in a day but costs 1000gp instead of 3000.