PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform Obduction - The new game from Cyan Worlds: The makers of Myst.

Ogremindes
2016-09-13, 04:13 AM
So, Obduction came out a few weeks ago, to limited fanfare. It is, unsurprisingly given who made it, a game in the style of Myst. I've played it through and loved it, and I was wondering who around here has done the same, or is in the process of playing it.

As an aside, I've found it frustratingly hard to look for games that genuinely feel like Myst. Simply being a first person adventure game isn't enough, or even necessary. It's a way of building a world, a structure of puzzle... I know it's a bit out there but Fez of all things gave me that feeling. It's just not a thing that I've found a way to search for.

Landis963
2016-09-14, 01:15 AM
I just finished it today, and honestly I liked it a lot. However, let me add a couple caveats. First, this is a game that can leave you lost and confused very easily, especially if you've been messing around with things in the early game that don't actually become relevant until much later (rotating sphere on Kaptar, I'm looking at you). Second, the seeds take way too long to load in their destinations, especially a certain few puzzles on Maray. However, the payoff is completely worth it, especially if you take the time to explore, and to think critically about what you're told and what you see.

Even if I think a series of puzzles on Soria probably would have broken my brain.

Rockphed
2016-09-17, 05:52 PM
Is it like Myst, or like Riven? Myst had all the answers to the puzzles in the library on the first island. Well, most of them anyway. Riven gave you a little back-story and threw you in to the mix. Quite frankly, when I got into Gehn's study and found what he had been working on, I almost got sick to my stomach from fear, which was AWESOME!

Uru and Myst 5, which I got bundled for like 10 bucks with Myst and Riven were interesting, but they didn't feel like they were as well thought out as Myst and Riven.

Landis963
2016-09-17, 06:32 PM
Is it like Myst, or like Riven? Myst had all the answers to the puzzles in the library on the first island. Well, most of them anyway. Riven gave you a little back-story and threw you in to the mix. Quite frankly, when I got into Gehn's study and found what he had been working on, I almost got sick to my stomach from fear, which was AWESOME!

Uru and Myst 5, which I got bundled for like 10 bucks with Myst and Riven were interesting, but they didn't feel like they were as well thought out as Myst and Riven.

It's a lot like Riven, except Obduction doesn't even give you the scraps of backstory that Riven did. You're dumped immediately into "Hunrath," and then after doing a few tutorial-esque puzzles you are told about the major plot coupons (namely, the Trees) and told to go nuts.

EDIT: I should add that Obduction scatters its scraps of backstory around where the player can find them (an audio log saying everyone's been evacuated, a flyer warning the reader to stay away from a certain piece of alien tech, etc.), as opposed to Riven which gives you Atrus' monologue before start of gameplay and then a journal filled with backstory tidbits.