PDA

View Full Version : I challenge the playground!

NecroDancer
2016-09-13, 05:24 AM
Can anybody optimize THIS idea?
Fighter 2/ warlock 8
Your a blade warlock with the undying patron. Your also primarily dex based. I hope to use this as my backup character in CoS if my current one dies.

Strill
2016-09-13, 05:39 AM
This is already an optimized build, except for the fact that it's dex based when a strength build would provide both more damage and AC. Bladelocks need to take Fighter at level 1 for the proficiencies and fighting style. Fighter 2 is debatable, but Action Surge is good so it's not a terrible choice. What's the challenge?

If you're looking for feat and invocation choices, then Polearm Master, Sentinel or +2 STR, and Thirsting Blade. If you want to defeat the whole point of taking Bladelock, you can also take Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast. The rest of the invocations don't make too much of a difference one way or the other.

NecroDancer
2016-09-13, 06:26 AM
Cool thanks for the advise (although in hindsight I now regret such a bold title)

Citan
2016-09-13, 07:20 AM
This is already an optimized build, except for the fact that it's dex based when a strength build would provide both more damage and AC. Bladelocks need to take Fighter at level 1 for the proficiencies and fighting style. Fighter 2 is debatable, but Action Surge is good so it's not a terrible choice. What's the challenge?

If you're looking for feat and invocation choices, then Polearm Master, Sentinel or +2 STR, and Thirsting Blade. If you want to defeat the whole point of taking Bladelock, you can also take Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast. The rest of the invocations don't make too much of a difference one way or the other.
Hi.
Don't 100% agree with bolded part.
1) damage: higher DEX bonus means higher initiative, so higher chance to goes first. Not such a big deal as wielding heavy weapons which deal consistently better damage, but still noticeable.
2) AC is just wrong. Warlock gets free Mage Armor invocation, so for a melee fighter who will max DEX, it starts at 16 AC and end at 18. With the option of wielding a shield depending on spell choice and way of fighting. And the option of stacking Mirror Image above, which will be reliable enough with images getting 10+DEX AC. So chances of being hit would be actually lower than a STR-based, meaning better chance to sustain Hex/Darkness/Greater Invisibility/what have you.

Also, you forget the whole survivability part, where having a better DEX means higher chance to avoid AOE and other spells, especially important on a d8 based combatant with probably not great Constitution. Less down for self = more damage for others. ;)

And with only 2 ASI, I'd say bumping the attack stat at least once is recommended for optimization, leaving space for only one feat: Sentinel, Warcaser (if weapon cantrips) or Mobile are all good choices. Although maxing attack stat by stacking 2 ASI would be a solid choice though.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-13, 07:26 AM
You'd get more mileage out of paladin than fighter, but sticking with the OP.

To tank: You can use the mage armor invocation and pump dex and use a shield to push 20 AC eventually. Use duelist for a damage boost and maybe take the sentinel feat. I'd use a whip over a rapier so if you are the tank front liner with Armor of Agathys and things don't want to attack you, they walk towards your team and you lock them down 10ft away, wasting their turn.

There are only two reasons to take fighter, first is so you can be less MAD and dump dex/use PAM and GWM. The second is for con saves. So pick a good spell to concentrate on and make sure you keep it up.

I'd hold off one fighter 2 until at least you get extra attack so level 7. If you are set on dex build you are probably better off just pure warlock.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-13, 09:05 AM
This is already an optimized build, except for the fact that it's dex based when a strength build would provide both more damage and AC. Bladelocks need to take Fighter at level 1 for the proficiencies and fighting style. Fighter 2 is debatable, but Action Surge is good so it's not a terrible choice.

For this build I would prefer Dex, because if you are captured and they take away everything you have, you can still screw with the scene your dm prepared, why?

- Dex gives you AC.
- As a bladelock, your weapon is bound to you and you can summon it.