PDA

View Full Version : VMC cavalier swashbuckler?

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-13, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone, i have a question. would VMC'ing cavalier with a swashbuckler work? when i mean "work" i mean would both precise strike and the -2 challege work together, because if it does that would be 20+18 damage at lv 20 not mentioning spending 1 panche point to make it 40+18 damage. now is the swashbuckler feat starved or does the swashbuckler bonus feats make up for that?
if it helps my stats are str 13 dex 16 con 16 int 18* wis 11 cha 16. *cu'z inspired blade archtype. i'm human and would have weapon finesse (rapier), weapon focus (rapier), fencing grace and one other feat i haven't decide on let at lv one. i don't believe i'll be missing out on anything and that damage boost would be great especially if i take chain challenge to get more use out of it. but i would like some advise non the less.:smallsmile:

edit: for those who don't know. VMC means variant multi-classing which is from pathfinder unchained.
part of me thinks this might be better then daring champion.:smallbiggrin:

Geddy2112
2016-09-13, 11:58 AM
Yeah, it is probably better than daring champion, although daring champion is not all that great. Swashbucklers like feats, but you won't be starving for them. If you want a more offensive build at level 1, grab power attack as your 4th feat. If you want more defense, grab combat reflexes(opportune parry/riposte). Either way, you will grab the other as your 4th level bonus feat. You will get improved critical for free at level 5, so you don't need that. Probably want to grab improved initiative somewhere, and depending on your build dodge/mobility will be a thing. Disruptive and spellbreaker are also good bonus feats since you qualify. You have charisma, so skill focus/eldritch heritage is worth looking into, including improved familiar if you go that route. Chain challenge is good as you mentioned. All of this is gravy though, you have all the mandatory combat feats at level 5.

You will be behind on your order levels as well as your challenge level. Depending on your order you might want other feats and such. Which order are you thinking?

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-13, 12:37 PM
Yeah, it is probably better than daring champion, although daring champion is not all that great. Swashbucklers like feats, but you won't be starving for them. If you want a more offensive build at level 1, grab power attack as your 4th feat. If you want more defense, grab combat reflexes(opportune parry/riposte). Either way, you will grab the other as your 4th level bonus feat. You will get improved critical for free at level 5, so you don't need that. Probably want to grab improved initiative somewhere, and depending on your build dodge/mobility will be a thing. Disruptive and spellbreaker are also good bonus feats since you qualify. You have charisma, so skill focus/eldritch heritage is worth looking into, including improved familiar if you go that route. Chain challenge is good as you mentioned. All of this is gravy though, you have all the mandatory combat feats at level 5.

You will be behind on your order levels as well as your challenge level. Depending on your order you might want other feats and such. Which order are you thinking?

well i was thinking dragon, but i probably should look at some of the other ones. i don't i''l need dodge mobility. i'll take combat reflexs as my human bonus feat, though i totally forgot about Disruptive and spellbreaker, those would be good choices, i'll take them eventually. I've seen eldritch heritage before and have mixed feelings about, would it hurt if i took that later?
edit: also Swashbuckler Initiative deed helps with my Initiative, though still could take Improved Initiative.

Geddy2112
2016-09-13, 01:11 PM
well i was thinking dragon, but i probably should look at some of the other ones. i don't i''l need dodge mobility. i'll take combat reflexs as my human bonus feat, though i totally forgot about Disruptive and spellbreaker, those would be good choices, i'll take them eventually. I've seen eldritch heritage before and have mixed feelings about, would it hurt if i took that later?
edit: also Swashbuckler Initiative deed helps with my Initiative, though still could take Improved Initiative.

Dragon is okay, but it is not really suited for your build- It is mostly for boosting your allies, but if you wanna do that it is a great order to do so. I would look into order of the cockatrice or order of the flame. Cockatrice which lets you get free AoO's if your allies score crits on enemies you threaten, as well as a decent challenge bonus. Flame gives you glorious challenge, which is a free version chain challenge, and the ability to intimidate for free off critical hits or move when initiative is rolled is awesome.

Eldritch heritage is good at any level. Since you have the skill focus as a dead feat, it won't hurt to take it later on once your build is online. Disruptive and spellbreaker won't come online right away anyways, and are only needed at higher levels when spellcasters are more common/major problems. You can skip improved initiative if you like; you get swashbuckler initiative and are dex based, but it is a great feat to take if you gain a feat and have nothing else you need. Worst case scenario, retrain it.