PDA

View Full Version : Common Permanent Magic Items

Mjolnirbear
2016-09-13, 11:56 AM
I thought I'd start a discussion about magic items created using cantrips. The idea is to create items that have no combat application but are useful or interesting enough to be worth spending money on.

For example:

Chill stone
Created with a cantrip such as Ray of Frost, this stone chills drinks and can help preserve food in an enclosed environment. It does no damage and cannot freeze things.

Tea pebble
Created with a cantrip suck as produce flame, when dropped into a drink the drink will heat up to a perfect temperature. A larger flat variation can be used to heat food. It does no damage and cannot burn things (no maillard reaction, so no golden pancakes or crusty bread or grilled meat)

Glamorweave
Made with Minor Illusion, this cloth changes colour with your mood or if you spend an action concentrating (treat as concentrating on a spell). Typically made into gleemans' cloaks, noble dresses, highlighting trim, hats, cloaks or veils.

City Lamplights
A particularly magical society is likely to have these, made with the Light or Dancing Lights cantrip. They come in several varieties; always on, activated or deactivated with an action, hand lamps, or programmed lights that turn on and off based on a set parameters.

Dryweave
Typically made into cloaks, this completely repels water. Has no effect on magical water.

Pinwheel
Magical versions of this colourful decoration generate a breeze and is useful in cooling houses.

Brightweave
This cloth does not stain or get dirty. It cannot take dyes, and so is almost always white. For double the price you can get a bolt of cloth with a magically imbued colour.

Ink-free Quill
This quill can write without ink, and never needs to be trimmed or sharpened. Nobles with these quills tend to select feathers from exotic or dangerous birds as a status symbol, which doubles or triples the price.

Gnomish Clockwork
Some gnomes turn their talent for trinkets into long-lasting creations. These creations can only ever do one, or at most, two things. A clockwork canary might sing sweetly and fly about. A clockwork doorbell rings a bell inside the house. A clockwork sheath might oil and sharpen its blade. A clockwork key might open a clockwork lock.

Everbloom Vases
Get this when your guy or girl is in a mood. Any flower or cut stems remains alive and vibrant while in the vase, but grows no further.

arrowed
2016-09-13, 01:18 PM
I like these ideas, and I could easily see a high-magic society producing magical consumer goods and having a market based on them. There are a few spells that already create effects similar to what you describe below, though: a quick look at the PHB gave me Arcane Lock and Continual Flame, which are both 2nd level permanent until dispelled effects. Both can be cast as an action, which is probably a lot shorter than any magic item creation time. Could a caster research similar spells to create such perma-cantrip effects?
Very cool ideas, should be a fun discussion. :smallsmile:

PoiuytSmith
2016-09-13, 01:19 PM
I really like these, I might throw a couple into a campaign I'm building. I'd make the Tea Pebble based on Prestidigitation though, kind of a magic everlasting tea bag.:smallbiggrin:

WereRabbitz
2016-09-13, 01:29 PM
I really miss Craft Wonderous Items lol

JackPhoenix
2016-09-13, 02:16 PM
I really miss Craft Wonderous Items lol

You miss having to spend a limited resource (feat) available only to certain classes to be able to create a limited selection of items instead of current "Ask your GM and create whatever you want"?

Mjolnirbear
2016-09-13, 09:53 PM
Some more:

Innkeeper's Friend
This box simply cleans anything you put in it. Clothes, dishes, glasses... It is about one cubic foot in size and activates as soon as you close the lid. Works for laundry too!

Unbreakable steel
This material can be made into many weapons. Such a weapon is not actually unbreakable, but any nicks or dents smooth out over a short rest and an actual break can be healed during a long rest.

Compass
Made with a spell such as druid craft, it will always tell you which way is North.

Firelighter
This tiny thimble is worn on the fingertip. You can ignite something extremely flammable (tobacco, tinder, oil) by touching it and concentrating for an action.

Self-Pitching Tent
This tent, for two people, assembles upon command. Double the cost if it is made of dryweave.