PDA

View Full Version : Moon druid and going underwater.

mgshamster
2016-09-13, 03:29 PM
My druid player just said he can't make game tonight. But I don't want to screw the party over by having a player absent. I'm going to run his character for him or have one of the other players do it.

What spells and tactics would be best for preparing for an underwater adventure?

Level 8 moon druid.

Biggstick
2016-09-13, 03:44 PM
Healing Word
Goodberry
Enhance ability
Barkskin
Water Breathing
Water Walk
Control Water
Polymorph (for allies potentially)

All of these spells are what immediately come to mind without a book in front of me. A Moon Druid's spell list should be utility for when they're outside of combat or right before they enter combat (Barkskin on self and bonus action shift form).

rollingForInit
2016-09-13, 03:45 PM
My druid player just said he can't make game tonight. But I don't want to screw the party over by having a player absent. I'm going to run his character for him or have one of the other players do it.

What spells and tactics would be best for preparing for an underwater adventure?

Level 8 moon druid.

Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Fog Cloud, Thunderwave, Enhance Ability, Barkskin and Lesser Restoration are always good to have low level spells.

Conjure Animals would work on sea beasts. Water Breathing would obivously be great unless they've another way to breathe underwater. Maybe Water Walk if they enter caverns and want to walk across some water instead of go swimming. Control Water seems like it could be used very creatively. Polymorph is powerful in general. Hallucinatory Terrain could be good as well. Maybe Ice storm and Dominate Beast.

Of course, for combat, you should mostly be in your wild shape.

mgshamster
2016-09-13, 04:05 PM
What would shapes would you recommend?

I don't have access to the book until game starts tonight and I want to be a little prepared for his absence. :)

Shining Wrath
2016-09-14, 04:07 PM
Moon Druid of level 8 can wild shape into things up to CR 3. Killer whale, Plesiosaurus, Hunter Shark.

The druid's spell mix depends on the rest of the party, but if no one else supplies Water Breathing the druid must. Also Goodberry is pretty useful, as eating under water can be tricky. Tidal Wave seems appropriate.

Biggstick
2016-09-14, 06:43 PM
Moon Druid of level 8 can wild shape into things up to CR 3. Killer whale, Plesiosaurus, Hunter Shark.

The druid's spell mix depends on the rest of the party, but if no one else supplies Water Breathing the druid must. Also Goodberry is pretty useful, as eating under water can be tricky. Tidal Wave seems appropriate.

You actually can't do CR 3. Text from the book reads as follows (concerning Moon Druid shapeshifting)

Page 69, bottom left corner. Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

Once you're level 9, you'll have access to CR 3 beasts.

Shining Wrath
2016-09-14, 09:01 PM
You actually can't do CR 3. Text from the book reads as follows (concerning Moon Druid shapeshifting)

Page 69, bottom left corner. Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a beast with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.

Once you're level 9, you'll have access to CR 3 beasts.

D'oh! Quite right. Drop Killer Whale from list.