PDA

View Full Version : Player Help The tiefling paladin who made a pact with the devil.

Fossegrim
2016-09-13, 07:53 PM
So in a couple of weeks it's time for my first 5e game/campaign. I've played some pathfinder before but just consider me a total noobie.

I've read thru the player books and I think I have come up with some sort of concept for a character but I'm not sure it will work out thematically or mechanically, maybe you guys can give me some pointers on how to make it work.

So basically it's a tiefling paladin, he's a star-based S/B duelist and has sworn the oath of vengeance. I'm also thinking about a dip in warlock for extra tiefling fluff and spell synergy.

How many levels of warlock would be appropriate and what patron/boon do you recommend? I'm thinking fiend/tome myself.

Theme/storywise I'm going for the field agent background atm. My PC (let's call him Jeff) is part of the Gauntlet order and has been for as long as he can remember. While away on some regular butt kicking mission for the Lord in some foreign land, things go terribly bad. Jeff watches how his comrades are cut down by the enemy just before he also receives a deadly blow from the back. Lying in a pool of his own blood Jeff reaches for his holy symbol and starts praying, yada-yada-yada, a deity from hell appears in front on him instead. The deity tells Jeff some story of his origin and offers to save his life and grants him powers to use for his retribution and further killing of evil doers. Jeff suspects that the deity/fiend has some hidden agendas with this but s/he seems trustworthy enough and Jeff is not really in a bargaining position. A deal is made.

This is what I got so far, not very original but I think it has some roleplaying and plot points potentials for later.
Do you think this can work out? I'm not planing on making Jeff an corrupted or evil Paladin (at least not intentionally from the start). He still believes in enforcing justice and punishing the wicked, and he's new friend from the planes down below helps him do it. He's just not sure (or even sure if he really want to know) in what way this is in the interest of the deity he made a pact with, or why he (Jeff) was chosen to begin with.

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-13, 07:57 PM
What is the Campaign Setting? If it is Forgotten Realms you can switch from your deity to Asmodeus (he's a god now) that is the adoptive father of your race now, he probably will not mind empowering you knowing that in the end (afterlife) you will go to his side and he will gain an op new devil.

Fossegrim
2016-09-13, 08:16 PM
yep, pretty sure it's a forgotten realm. Our DM hasn't said anything else at least.

I'm not sure Jeff's planing on "switching" deity per se. He's faith is still loyal to the Order, their deity's and his friends. The fiend he made a deal with is more of a necessary evil for him to do good. But I do appreciate the suggestion on Asmodeus :)

DragonSorcererX
2016-09-13, 08:21 PM
yep, pretty sure it's a forgotten realm. Our DM hasn't said anything else at least.

I'm not sure Jeff's planing on "switching" deity per se. He's faith is still loyal to the Order, their deity's and his friends. The fiend he made a deal with is more of a necessary evil for him to do good. But I do appreciate the suggestion on Asmodeus :)

If his deity is Helm it is all right, Helm is Lawful Neutral (and accepts followers that are LG, LN and LE) and Asmodeus used to be an overpowered being of ultimate law before going to the edgy side of the force.

MasterMercury
2016-09-13, 08:51 PM
For fluff, I would go with pact of blade myself. You're a paladin, smite evil with your unholy blade/hammer/axe/anything at all.
Also, 5e Paladins are tied to Oaths, not gods. A paladin of vengeance swears to "kill his sworn enemies at all costs", and it totally works to make a deal with the devil to fight a greater evil.
P.s.:you're a new player, and you probably don't know this, but warlock/paladin is a favorite of the optimizers. Have fun.

NecroDancer
2016-09-13, 09:08 PM
Your pact could be temporary, once your strong enough you will decend into the 9 Hells and slay Asomdeus and reclaim your soul. Than emerging from the bowls of Hell with a devil-god's head in his hand, his soul regained, Jeff will walk the lands of Faerun and finally sleep easy at night.

Sigreid
2016-09-13, 10:51 PM
LG could work very well for your alignment. It's just the old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Sure a fiend is fueling your fight against evil. So what. Evil is eternal and for humoring you for a few decades at the most they get to claim a powerful agent of good. What a deal!